Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,073 times

Advertisements

I have an eighteen year old son.He will be turning nineteen on October 24,2014.He lives with his mom.He will repeating the 11th grade for the second time starting in August of 2014.He refuses to go to school at times.He misses over fourty five days per year.I have always supported him in any which way i can.I have tried getting him to live with me.I have had no luck.I was told by child support office, that as long as he is enroll in school I will still will have to pay child support. My child mothers know this.She does not care as long as child support is being given.I give more money than just child support.We where divorce in 1998. I have paid child support on time, every time..I have never been late or never got behind.What does South Carolina ,laws state.Is there any way to stop paying support for child that refuses to not go to school on a regular basis.To make things ever harder. My son should have graduate in early spring of 2014. He only needed 1 class to graduate.He missed fourty five days from 10-2012 thru 6-2013.He just missed thirty nine from 10-2013 thru 6-2014.I need help or information on how to stop the support order.
I have all records from school and information from teacher and guildence counsler. please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 03:11 PM

226 posts, read 369,069 times
How is that not considered truancy? At the high school level most schools have resource officers that deal with truant students and their parents. Your ex-wife can go to jail for it. I would contact the school's resource or truant officer, and the district. My youngest sister skipped school a lot (parents did not know) and eventually dropped out her junior year, but she caught a lot of hell from the truant officer and my parents were threatened with jail time because of it.
I'm not sure what else to say to assist you, other than the child will age out of the public school system at 21 regardless of if he is graduating or not, and will no longer be allowed to go to a SC public school at that point. I would also contact a lawyer specializing in family law that is located where your child and ex-wife live. It isn't the most convenient thing for people to do, but works better because the lawyer knows the judges, etc. I know people that have been in custody battles, and that is the only thing that has worked. Hiring a lawyer that is located where the ex-spouse and child(ren) are.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:43 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,845,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwarfield View Post
How is that not considered truancy? At the high school level most schools have resource officers that deal with truant students and their parents. Your ex-wife can go to jail for it.
I am no lawyer and not informed on this subject at all, but if the son is 18, the law as I read it doesn't require him to go to school. This doesn't help bebless in his situation though. 2009-2010 Bill 29: School attendance - South Carolina Legislature Online

Old 07-09-2014, 04:35 PM

108 posts, read 126,171 times
Yes, do inquire as to why the school hasn't reported it to truancy.id be having a pow wow in the office the very next time this happens. That means waiting g til school restarts. In nc when I was getting child support, it was til age 19 child was considered dependent if still in school. I'd be looking it up online. Then contact your child support agency. I'd be hopping mad. Good luck!

Old 07-10-2014, 11:46 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,647 times
This should be the final year you'll be on the hook. The SC statutes read as follows:

Quote:
To make all orders for support run until further order of the court, except that orders for child support run until the child turns eighteen years of age or until the child is married or becomes self-supporting, as determined by the court, whichever occurs first, or past the age of eighteen years if the child is enrolled and still attending high school, not to exceed high school graduation or the end of the school year after the child reaches nineteen years of age, whichever is later
You may have a good argument that he fails the "still attending high school" portion for support after 18, but that would be at the court's discretion.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:13 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,916,146 times
bebless,
Where were you when your kid wasn't attending school?
Have you called the school and told them to call you on any day
YOUR SON didn't show up?
Why not?
He is your son. He isn't going to school, so make sure you take
him to school.
Your entire post is only concerned about the child support.
What about the child?
You are an absentee father if your kid isn't attending school, it's
your fault too.
Especailly with teenage boys, they need a real man to set them straight.
Get it Dad?

Old 07-10-2014, 01:21 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,845,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
bebless,
YOUR SON didn't show up?
Why not?
him to school.
What about the child?
your fault too.
Get it Dad?
If you don't have legal custody of the child (now an 18 year old adult) , can you necessarily do that?

Old 07-12-2014, 04:52 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,916,146 times
gvsteve,
He is the childs father.
He has to get involved in the childs life, or mabey he never
was, so he just concentrates on what he cares about, the
relief of child support.
Sad, isn't it?
That's not being a dad.
Doing the hard work with your kids is being a dad. You know,
the hard stuff. Putting yourself out there, but I guess at 18
if he hasn't done anything to establish that relationship, it might be
too late, who knows?
Money isn't being a parent, that's not the hard part.
Being a parent is the hard part, putting your kids first when they need you.
Guess I'm speaking a foreign language today, but I put my kids first,
and it was worth it.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:16 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,960,316 times
Quote:
gvsteve,
He is the childs father.
He has to get involved in the childs life, or mabey he never
was, so he just concentrates on what he cares about, the
relief of child support.
Sad, isn't it?
That's not being a dad.
Doing the hard work with your kids is being a dad. You know,
the hard stuff. Putting yourself out there, but I guess at 18
if he hasn't done anything to establish that relationship, it might be
too late, who knows?
Money isn't being a parent, that's not the hard part.
Being a parent is the hard part, putting your kids first when they need you.
Guess I'm speaking a foreign language today, but I put my kids first,
and it was worth it.
1: Are you posting from a phone?
2: I'm going to point that mother's that just let their kid skip school as long as they are enrolled in school just so that they can receive child support are annoying.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:42 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,750,953 times
Quote:
bebless,
YOUR SON didn't show up?
Why not?
him to school.
What about the child?
your fault too.
Get it Dad?
Great post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina