Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 12:13 PM

235 posts, read 528,370 times

Advertisements

Everyone knows of the 3 main cities in SC: Columbia, Charleston, and Greenville. I was wondering in the future what cities would if any jump to that next level? Here are few cities I classify in this group even though some of them are part of bigger metros. If you think other cities are in this tier that I haven't listed, your more than welcome to add to it.

Spartanburg- is part of the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA is definitely the largest of the 2nd Tier cites and probably the closest to jumping to that level.

North Charleston- is 2nd principle city in the Charleston-North Charleston-Summerville metro some view as an extension of Charleston but I think its growing as an independent city.

Aiken- is part of the Augusta metro but more and more people are moving there.

Rock Hill- One of the Charlotte's princple cities in the Metrolina.

Myrtle Beach- known as a major tourist attraction and one of the fastest growing cities in the country.

Florence - is one of the cities in the state that's caught in between this level. The only city that's not influence or part of another metro.

Also could add Hilton Head, Summerville, Anderson and Sumter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 02:12 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,066,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico020 View Post
Everyone knows of the 3 main cities in SC: Columbia, Charleston, and Greenville. I was wondering in the future what cities would if any jump to that next level? Here are few cities I classify in this group even though some of them are part of bigger metros. If you think other cities are in this tier that I haven't listed, your more than welcome to add to it.

Spartanburg- is part of the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA is definitely the largest of the 2nd Tier cites and probably the closest to jumping to that level.

North Charleston- is 2nd principle city in the Charleston-North Charleston-Summerville metro some view as an extension of Charleston but I think its growing as an independent city.

Myrtle Beach- known as a major tourist attraction and one of the fastest growing cities in the country.

Florence - is one of the cities in the state that's caught in between this level. The only city that's not influence or part of another metro.

If you're gonna break out N Charleston, then why not list Mt Pleasant?

Old 01-05-2015, 02:56 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Charleston, North Charleston, Mt Pleasant, Summerville and Goose Creek (plus the joke that is the Town of James Island) are completely interdependent. They meet at their borders whether its land, marsh or water and a huge percent of the population live in once city but work in another. Even the more residential cities- Goose Creek and Mt Pleasant- have people from outside them working there. And a lot of retail in Summerville and Mt Pleasant is frequented by people from the other cities/towns. Peninsula Charleston and North Charleston have the lions share of jobs and North Charleston has most of the big box retail. These cities are much more intertwined than the ones in the upstate.

I would guess that Florence will grow the most independently since it is a regional hub in an area with a lot of outlying land and two interstates. Greenwood is not mentioned but I think it is a little landlocked to have too much growth. And Rock Hill is really growing more as a suburban area than an independent city.

I'll also add that Spartanburg (really all three upstate cities) gets a little bit of short shrift since so much of the growth has been outward beyond city limits and into all the small towns. It also has 2 major interstates, a major medical center and a decent number of corporate jobs. Perception wise it suffers by being the #2 city in that portion of the state.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:15 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Charleston, North Charleston, Mt Pleasant, Summerville and Goose Creek (plus the joke that is the Town of James Island) are completely interdependent. They meet at their borders whether its land, marsh or water and a huge percent of the population live in once city but work in another. Even the more residential cities- Goose Creek and Mt Pleasant- have people from outside them working there. And a lot of retail in Summerville and Mt Pleasant is frequented by people from the other cities/towns. Peninsula Charleston and North Charleston have the lions share of jobs and North Charleston has most of the big box retail. These cities are much more intertwined than the ones in the upstate.

I would guess that Florence will grow the most independently since it is a regional hub in an area with a lot of outlying land and two interstates. Greenwood is not mentioned but I think it is a little landlocked to have too much growth. And Rock Hill is really growing more as a suburban area than an independent city.

I'll also add that Spartanburg (really all three upstate cities) gets a little bit of short shrift since so much of the growth has been outward beyond city limits and into all the small towns. It also has 2 major interstates, a major medical center and a decent number of corporate jobs. Perception wise it suffers by being the #2 city in that portion of the state.
Out of curiosity, what do you mean by Greenwood being land locked? Lack of interstate? It has plenty of land.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:12 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:

Your point is?

Old 01-05-2015, 07:22 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:

Spartanburg the largest? Last time I checked, Spartanburg wasnt even cracking 38,000 people. North Charlesron is likely over or straddling 110,000 at this point. I dont understand this tier system, but NC should be in the first tier. Its economy and trade and presence is strong by itself. Tanger, CHS Airport, a couple sea ports, a 900k sq mall, top retail sales in SC, Boeing and other industry, Amtrak, and a big meet and work place for Charleston metro residents that live north of it. North Chas holds its own.

If anything, its Myrtle Beach. Booming population, geographically right, and economy diversifying. More out-of-staters could name MB before Spartanburg. So to add to this tier thing: MB and NC. Spartanburg, Mt P, Summerville, Anderson, Aiken, HHI, Florence, Rock Hill, Greenwood, Sumter, Lexington! GC, a d maybe Conway and Greer and Easley would be in the 2nd class.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:43 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Default Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, South Carolina Combined Statistical Area

The Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, South Carolina Combined Statistical Area (2010 population: 1,362,073) includes two metropolitan statistical areas and three micropolitan statistical areas:
  • Greenville-Anderson-Mauldin, South Carolina Metropolitan Statistical Area (824,112)
    Greenville County (451,225)
    Anderson County (187,126)
    Pickens County (119,224)
    Laurens County (66,537)
  • Spartanburg, South Carolina Metropolitan Statistical Area (313,268)
    Spartanburg County (284,307)
    Union County (28,961)
  • Greenwood, South Carolina Micropolitan Statistical Area (95,078)
    Greenwood County (69,661)
    Abbeville County (25,417)
  • Seneca, South Carolina Micropolitan Statistical Area (74,273)
    Oconee County
  • Gaffney, South Carolina Micropolitan Statistical Area (55,342)
    Cherokee County

I am surprised there is not an Anderson, South Carolina Metropolitan Statistical Area yet. One could be formed by Anderson and Oconee counties.

"Revised Delineations of Metropolitan Statistical Areas, Micropolitan Statistical Areas, and Combined Statistical Areas, and Guidance on Uses of the Delineations of These Areas." Executive Office of the President: Office of Management and Budget. 2013-02-08. Accessed 2015-01-02.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:31 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,537 times
Anderson WAS separate an was recently combined with Greenville MSA.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:39 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Default Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, South Carolina Combined Statistical Area

Was Anderson designated a micropolitan statistical area prior to the Greenville-Anderson-Mauldin Metropolitan Statistical Area?

Old 01-06-2015, 09:03 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Was Anderson designated a micropolitan statistical area prior to the Greenville-Anderson-Mauldin Metropolitan Statistical Area?
No, it was its own MSA. During the 2003 revisions by the OMB, the former Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson MSA was broken up into three separate MSAs: Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson. Anderson was recombined with Greenville during the 2013 revisions while Spartanburg remains its own MSA.

As far as the listed choices go, North Charleston is obviously an extension of Charleston. Myrtle Beach has the best chance of breaking away from the pack due to sheer growth patterns, although it doesn't have an economy outside of tourism. Spartanburg has the most potential due to a much more well-rounded economy, but some things hold it back apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina