Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 709 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am a 32 year old single mother to a soon to be 4 year old little boy. We are currently living in providence,RI. I will be moving to South Carolina (Columbia/blythwood area) in late October early December. I have a friend who lives there but if you know of any places close to that are that will be more cost efficient for me and my child please let me know. I'm also wondering about the state benefits in South Carolina. I am moving there for better opportunities for me and my child. It will take me a little bit to get on my feet so will need a little help in the mean time (daycare help and health insurance). So any advice on that would be greatly appreciated. I am currently a retail manager of 10 years at a mom and pop tuxedo shop. I will also need secure a job. My friend who will be helping me knows someone who works at a men's warehouse in Columbia and will try and help me get a job there (fingers crossed). Sorry this forum is kinda all over the place but if you have any questions for me feel free to ask and ANY advice is so greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 02:32 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,914,536 times
Needs,
South Carolina did not opt in to the expansion of Medicaid that the Federal Government
has offered, so your child will have no health insurance at all if you move here.
Hopefully, you will get a job soon, after moving here, and hopefully, I MEAN hopefully,
you will be offered health insurance through your employer for both you and your child.
Not all employers in South Carolina offer health insurance. I truly mean this, I am not kidding.
Big corporate jobs will offer you the opportunity to sign up for health insurance benefits, but
even UPS only offers health benefits for the employee only, not spouse or children.
Jobs are hard to come by even in Columbia, but, luckily, you have retail experience. and
there are hundreds of retail jobs that are low paying down here.
Good Luck to you.
I hope you get a job as soon as you move down here that offers benefits, and you will be
fine.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:34 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
The social safety net in SC in none, nada, nothing, etc. One must earn what they get. That said, the lifestyle, politeness, safeness, traffic, many cost of living expenses, etc. are much better in SC.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:33 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
One must earn what they get.
Bingo.

So you need to get your own house in order & stop living off the state before you decide to move here. That's just common sense. We don't take too kindly to folks who move here & contribute nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
View detailed profiles of: