Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 09:08 PM

515 posts, read 480,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_96SC View Post
I believe Iam4USC was referring to the soldiers that fought, not to the idealism of slavery in itself. Comparing his post to Nazi Germany is probably unfair.
He said:

"A group of patriots started a revolution against an oppressive state. The confederacy is the same thing. The Union was infringing upon individual states rights.so a revolution wa born. However, the confederacy lost. Doesn't diminish the the fact that people stood up for what they thought were their rights. Those people should still be honored in history by flying their flag at a memorial in their honor. "

Clearly the war was about the right to own slaves and the Union infringing on that right. So to "honor" that by flying a racist flag just brings down the whole state.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:03 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,199,124 times
In my opinion, these shootings are clearly a mental health issue.

All of the large, state run mental facilities were defunded and closed down, mostly in the 1980s. There has been a sharp rise in these "mass mental health events" ever since "reintegration" into society became the new treatment model. Families do not have the training nor the resources to properly deal with or treat family members who are sick. In many cases, the parent's hands are tied after years of trying to work through the system, dealing with legalities and insurance obstacles.

This whole race issue is merely a circus side show, ratings fest for the media that fails to address the underlying cause. What did they say about Obama's address regarding this event, it has been his 14th or 16th time dealing with this in the short period he has been in office?

Old 06-18-2015, 10:12 PM

2,278 posts, read 2,637,328 times
Any logical person should understand how this hurts the state as a whole. It belongs in a museum where history is suppose to teach us of the past. Not flown in parks or other public property, especially on statehouse grounds.
Every time a country lose a war they lose the right to fly their flag, So why is it this flag continues to fly?

Old 06-18-2015, 10:26 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,043,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_96SC View Post
I don't see South Carolina suffering insofar as encouraging new manufacturing and growth due the flying of the confederate flag at the state capital. Do you have any facts that say we are loosing economic growth due to the confederate flag? Like the flag or not, we are a growing state, and I am pretty happy about that.

Personally, I don't care what the other states think. This is my home. Flag be damned. Fly it or not, I don't really care. This is my home and I am proud of it. But really, if we put that much stock in what other people think about us, then we have a greater identity problem. I say take some pride in who we are as South Carolinians and who cares what the other states think.

Economic loss? Yes we have Right or wrong, the NCAA has boycotted the state of SC as to the hosting of certain NCAA tournament games. Excepting baseball, women's hoops, maybe some other sports. We certainly havent hosted another regional bracket for men's hoops You are right it's our home! Our heritage SC has a rich heritage, but its way more that a battle flag

Old 06-18-2015, 10:35 PM

293 posts, read 824,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
So my first question still stands. Should we remove all confederate memorials?
You are missing the point completely. The MEMORIALS are just that...a reminder of a person/people or event. You can have a placard up and say whatever you'd like about it...good and/or bad, informative and that's that. It's no moving forward with a statue of John Calhoun...he's dead and is history. The flag is a different story though because while the intention of people who died under it is commendable and understood...that's not where its story stopped. It was inherited as a symbol that has become recognized for other reasons and is still in use to this day. That's the issue with it still being on the grounds at all.

Show someone a picture of a forage bummer cap and most will think Confederate Soldier. Show someone a picture of the twin towers and they'll think 9/11. Show someone a picture of the confederate flag and most won't associate it with the Civil War only...if at all. Show someone a picture of John Calhoun or Pitchfork Tillman and they wouldn't know who they were unless they are into history or from SC. Does that help you understand another vantage point any better?

Old 06-18-2015, 10:45 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,858,123 times
It would make much more sense to me to fly the CSA National Flag. This would get rid of the critics that say the confederate battle flag is associated with hate groups but still preserve the historical heritage that the state shares.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:33 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,406,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
In my opinion, these shootings are clearly a mental health issue...

This whole race issue is merely a circus side show, ratings fest for the media that fails to address the underlying cause. What did they say about Obama's address regarding this event, it has been his 14th or 16th time dealing with this in the short period he has been in office?
I wonder why that is. Are they all "mental health" issues beause theyre all white shooters? White = mental heath, black = thug, brown = terrorist, Hispanic = illegal immigrant. Ah yes, lets stick with that natrative.

You say the race issue is a circus show...yet the punk said "i just wanted to kill blacks." But ya know, its not racial. HE SAID HIMSELF HE ATTACKED THOSE POOR PEOPLE BECAUSE OF THE COLOR OF THEIR SKIN. But the medias not addressing the cause?? Right. Hes not sane and just full of hate and prejudice. Hes just mentally challenged and misunderstood. Even though he said he did it out of race, the media shouldve left that alone because it would create a circus

I cant believe the comments I keep seeing here. I really cant. So much denial. Im sick.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:48 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,652,952 times
Very interesting that a state that's 30% Black has THE symbol of the Confederacy on top of its capitol!

That has bugged me out for the longest!

Old 06-19-2015, 12:27 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,514,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Any logical person should understand how this hurts the state as a whole. It belongs in a museum where history is suppose to teach us of the past. Not flown in parks or other public property, especially on statehouse grounds.
Every time a country lose a war they lose the right to fly their flag, So why is it this flag continues to fly?
Bingo; you don't see the British flag at the State House.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:29 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,514,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Very interesting that a state that's 30% Black has THE symbol of the Confederacy on top of its capitol!

That has bugged me out for the longest!
I doubt that anywhere near a majority of South Carolinians want it there, either, but many people are disenfranchised and don't vote, which results in a number of less than savory characters in office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina