Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2015, 07:28 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times

Advertisements

Out of the only two states that border SC, which one do you believe has the most in common with SC? Going by history, in-migration, politics, etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 08:05 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
Me being raised in SC and living in GA for a year and NC for some years would say SC reminds me of GA (take away Atlanta of course) all the way. I would say politically and culturally (higher AA population) in both states the cities are similar. There is a real low country feel about southern GA and SC and they aren't too known as much for their mountains. Columbia/ Augusta Savannah/Charleston really remind me of each other.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:19 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Georgia

Old 06-21-2015, 08:29 AM

110 posts, read 116,294 times
SC is a lot different from both given it has uniform population distribution across the state.

People in SC interact more with NC in general, people in SC are visiting NC mountains all the time, and part of Greenville's appeal is proximity to those mountains. I think SC people visit NC beaches much more than the beach in Savannah and the Brunswick area.

More people in SC work in Charlotte than Augusta and Savannah.

SC and NC also share a name, and a history.

Columbia and Raleigh are both similar, planned cities in the middle of their states for government, neither would exist if not for this. Both have the largest public university in the state in their city. The general scenery looks the same in both. lot of pines trees.

Greenville and Durham are both similar, historic mill towns that are now thriving

Wilmington is similar to Charleston, a city by the beach.

Florence and greenville Nc are pretty similar. the college in Greenville is a tad bit bigger though.

Overall, SC has a more colorful history than NC and GA, given it's big role in both the revolution and civil war.

One thing that they all have in common is nuclear power. SC has 4 nuke plants, Georgia 2, and NC 3. Charlotte is a big nuclear industry hub now due to all the nuke plants in the 3 states. The Savannah River Site also employs a lot of people who live in both Augusta and SC.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 06-21-2015 at 09:16 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
SC is a lot different from both given it has uniform population distribution across the state.

People in SC interact more with NC in general, people in SC are visiting NC mountains all the time, and part of Greenville's appeal is proximity to those mountains. I think SC people visit NC beaches much more than the beach in Savannah and the Brunswick area.

More people in SC work in Charlotte than Augusta and Savannah.

SC and NC also share a name, and a history.

Overall, SC has a more colorful history than NC and GA, given it's big role in both the revolution and civil war.
North Carolina isn't too bad when it comes to uniform population distribution across the state; this is more true of SC and GA is extremely lopsided.

Otherwise, I agree with pretty much everything else you've stated. I'd add, as was stated earlier, that Columbia and Augusta are pretty similar as are Charleston, Beaufort, and Savannah.

I think the upper Pee Dee and Upstate are more like NC, while the Midlands and Lowcountry are more like GA to be more specific.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:19 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
The Columbia area, more like GA or NC?

Old 06-21-2015, 09:45 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,029,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
The Columbia area, more like GA or NC?
More like Georgia, in my opinion.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:13 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,107,839 times
North Carolina and Georgia are more similar, so any OP thread like this is problematic from the get-go. Both states have universities with national/international reputations, and each state's largest metro is as "national" as it is southern in culture and mentality. South Carolina is the most provincial of the three in many respects; it still has that reputation in both Georgia and North Carolina, and I think that reputation is still valid.

But OK, I still think SC is more like NC than GA. Actually, Wilmington, Charleston, and Savannah are all similar in culture, history, and aesthetics (all three states boast a "Charleston," so to speak). Atlanta and Charlotte have so many "outsiders" (non-southern transplants and their influences) that there are many parallels between them: they're both "national American" cities, and they're big. If one wants to remove them from the comparison for that very reason, that leaves the rest of the big Carolina metros, which are closer in size and closer in economic dynamism than they are to Georgia's second-tier cities. Columbia is far more like Raleigh-Durham than Augusta; it's a state capital and also hosts the major universities and institutions of the state, with all the advantages that entails (advantages Augusta simply doesn't have). Georgia has also been more "progressive" than the Carolinas, for a longer time. Whether you wish to pen that on Atlanta's influence or not, it's still a fact: NC's progressivism is more recent than GA's. As for SC: the Confederate flag was removed from the Georgia state flag years ago, and no Confed battle flag flies over any GA public building or government property. South Carolinians are finally debating the flag again in the wake of the Charleston tragedy, but just last year the Sons of the Confederacy would have won the flag argument in SC hands down. Far-right politics is more an inter-Carolina tradition than a Georgia one: Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms were elected in modern times (and reelected rather recently), and no Georgia politician of the same generation or era falls into their category. In the end, SC has many cultural and economic aspects in common with its northern neighbor. But all aspects considered, the two most similar states fall outside the realm of the OP: GA and NC have more in common with each other.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 06-21-2015 at 10:58 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 10:18 AM

110 posts, read 116,294 times
If Georgia is more progressive, why does every city in SC have more name recognition than Macon, Columbus, Albany, Valdosta. Across the state, SC is more affluent than Georgia.

Isn't the confederate flag part of the Georiga state flag? Sc's state flag is a palmetto tree with a crescent moon.

I never see anybody with confederate flags on their clothing and cars. I remember people in SC getting mocked after 9-11 for flying the US flag....too much patriotism.

I see the state flag a lot in SC, both a Clemson and SC version of it.

the only people who talk about the confederate flag, which isn't on the state house anymore, are people using to make it a political issue in election cycles.

It was Ernest Hollings, a Democrat governor who was a long term senator after that, who put the confederate flag on the state house in SC. And it is largely lower income white people who are emotionally attached to the confederate flag in SC, and most of them vote Democrat.

When the south was racist, it voted for Democrat party. As it as grown more educated and affluent, it switched to Republican party. The Democrat party views especially on economics has not changed so it still gets majority of the low educated low income white people that tend to be the majority of white racists.

it is always interesting when Democrats try to associate themselves with progress, especially in the south. SC voted nearly 100 percent for FDR and other democrats when it was a backwoods poor place outside of the ancestors of the rich plantation owners.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 06-21-2015 at 10:50 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Isn't the confederate flag part of the Georiga state flag? Sc's state flag is a palmetto tree with a crescent moon.
Yes, the state flags of both NC and GA are versions of the official flag of the CSA. Less controversial than the battle flag for sure, but they still are emblematic of the Confederacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina