Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 07:19 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
All we need is a national boycott of your state, and your poll results will change in a hurry. If that flag does not come down, I sure hope a national boycott is called for so that your state becomes toxic. Just wait to see how fast those poll results change then. It is time for all those old memorials and tributes to traitors to be torn down. To me and most people I know in Yankeeland, that flag (or rag as I like to call it) is and always has been the flag of traitors.
Firstly, I believe the flag should not be flying near the state house.

But, I laugh at your comment. Why on earth would South Carolinians care if you and your buddies decide to "boycott" SC over a flag (which is as far as it would get)? Your hateful, bigoted comments just inflame the issue. But of course you knew that already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 07:40 PM

716 posts, read 1,237,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
Nothing but a racist troll. Why even give him the time of day?
How is it racist?? All I'm saying iss that we as a nation obviously don't care that much about the 9 lives since we turned so quickly from them to getting rid of the flag and statues and other nonsense like that.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:23 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Gov. Haley says the flag needs to come down.

I agree, and I am a southerner.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:36 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
Quote:
To answer your first question, yes pretty much. I was appalled the first time I was in the South for work and saw a Confederate monument. My whole life I was taught they were traitors to the USA. Lee took an oath to the Constitution at West Point, and yet took up arms against his own country. He was a traitor and should have been hanged. In fact, in any other country every single leader and member of the Confederate Govt would have been hanged. Lincoln stressed forgiveness and after his death they spared their lives to honor his memory. That is fact. But imo they were wrong. Mass hangings should have taken place. They were terrorists. Look what we do to terrorists today. We give them the death penalty even in ultra liberal MA.

If many Confederates had been hanged, you wouldn't today have this worship of traitors.
He took up no arms against the Constitution. Lincoln and company were the ones doing damage to it during the time.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:57 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
My personal feeling is that there are generally three groups of people who are into the Confederate flag:

1.) The "Heritage not Hate" crowd who really do Southern celebrate heritage/history with all of its good and bad points (assuming we give them the benefit of the doubt that they're asking for) (the best case scenario)
2.) People who are openly racist (everyone from active hooded Klan members to less outspoken closed minded/hateful/bigoted people) and the flag represents their symbol to demonstrate racism and bigotry (the worst case scenario)
3.) People (probably almost exclusively Caucasion) who celebrate "hick" or rebel culture (not necessarily overt/intentional racism) with big noisy trucks with huge tires "muddin", dippin Skoal, etc. This demographic (usually rural, working class Generation Y folks who are into the Country boy or Country girl fad that really took hold a few years ago and probably ignorant to the darker meaning behind the flag). You see many of the beachwear places in Myrtle Beach selling t-shirts, beach towels, beer mugs, thongs, etc. with the confederate flag crassly plastered over them. I would bet that just as many people from Ohio and Michigan buy these items compared with people from the South.

There is probably some overlap between 1 and 3.

With that said, even though displaying the flag is part of a tradition, sometimes it's okay to seriously evaluate and change traditions if doing so helps to ease divisions, tensions, etc. Sometimes it's okay for traditions to change and this idea has been studied for years.
Well said I agree with you its a crying shame the Confederate flag is used to be people as a symbol of hate when it should just celebrate Southern pride.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:30 AM

515 posts, read 482,331 times
Someone climbed the pole and took it down last night! LOL

Old 06-27-2015, 11:14 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
Someone climbed the pole and took it down last night! LOL
Activist takes down Confederate flag in South Carolina - CNNPolitics.com

Old 06-28-2015, 07:28 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
To answer your first question, yes pretty much. I was appalled the first time I was in the South for work and saw a Confederate monument. My whole life I was taught they were traitors to the USA. Lee took an oath to the Constitution at West Point, and yet took up arms against his own country. He was a traitor and should have been hanged. In fact, in any other country every single leader and member of the Confederate Govt would have been hanged. Lincoln stressed forgiveness and after his death they spared their lives to honor his memory. That is fact. But imo they were wrong. Mass hangings should have taken place. They were terrorists. Look what we do to terrorists today. We give them the death penalty even in ultra liberal MA.

If many Confederates had been hanged, you wouldn't today have this worship of traitors.
Are you freaking kidding me? What kind of hate inspired school did you go to? Lee and other southern leaders were deeply respected, even by their former enemies. Your mindless solution of hanging everybody would have set off perpetual guerrilla warfare in the South. It would have been Vietnam, Iraq, and Afganistan all rolled into one and more than likely spilling up north through an extremely long and porous border. It sounds more like your education system didnt really teach you anything, but simply spoonfed you anti southern propaganda. Were you taught that American colonists were traitors to Britain too, or was that ok because we won? There's really no point in taking history at all if you're only going to read the cliff notes, especially if it's going to make you get so worked up about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina