Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 12:44 PM

27,531 posts, read 28,618,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
Also, it seems the remaining supporters of the flag are using a variation of the "slippery slope" argument. It has been used to argue against gay marriage, suggesting it opens the door to bestiality marriages and other nonsense. In this case, the fear is that allowing the confederate flag to be taken down will start some kind of domino effect where all confederate monuments are removed.

This argument ignores important differences between the flag and the monuments, namely that monuments are not used as a symbol by hate groups and racists. Relying on paranoia rather than logic, I doubt it will effectively persuade anyone that wasn't already in the pro-flag camp.
That's a good point. But I'm not sure why people would even want to honor and build monuments to those who fought for a defeated country and cause which ceased to exist 150 years ago. It doesn't make sense to me, personally.

Still, I agree that's a different discussion for another day and not the same as flying the Confederate flag on state capitol grounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 12:47 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,016,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Mississippi is not our archrival.
Not even remotely.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:44 PM

293 posts, read 826,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Not from SC but I enjoy vacationing there. It's good that people are realizing that the display of that flag makes people stereotype others - when they probably don't deserve it.

A museum is an excellent place for the Confederate Flag.

I'm happy to read that so many South Carolinians agree. I did not expect it, but your governor has made a bold and positive move.

Rep to all!
And Sheena that's just it. You'd think it wasn't a museum for this...but it is.

Greenville, SC [in the Upstate]

Charleston [the Lowcountry/coast]

Columbia, SC [Shows the states heritage of all wars]

There's even relics and replicas in the SC State Museum. So if you listened to some of the debate you would assume that this was the only way for them to honor their heritage.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:15 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,438,741 times
Pretty much every southern state other than SC and Lousiana has some kind of confederate imagery in its state flag. Its a weirdd thing to rank, but South Carolina's state flag has been voted by many polls as either the #1 overall flag, or always in the top 4.

On one site, 44% of the ~3500 votes went to SC. People notice.

Now other states like Mississppi, Missouri, and Georgia are talking about possibly removing those symbols off their flags. Possibly. This is not an SC issue, its a national one. Unfortunately we're the catalyst in it, but it wouldnt have been that way if the flag was never up in the first place. SC put this issue on itself.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:19 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,168,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Should have never been put there in the 1960's in the first place. Any time a country looses a war, and they "did lose", they lose the right to fly their flag. So why is it still flying? Is South Carolina still the confederacy?
So you're good with putting the Vietnamese flag up over the post office?

Old 06-23-2015, 07:07 PM

503 posts, read 529,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Its a weird thing to rank, but South Carolina's state flag has been voted by many polls as either the #1 overall flag, or always in the top 4.

On one site, 44% of the ~3500 votes went to SC. People notice.
I have major state flag envy. It is such an attractive image with the tree and the moon. Ours is a crest with a mess of grapes, leaves, some other kind of fruit and latin writing. Fugly, in a word.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:37 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,987,368 times
We do have a nice state flag -- and for me here in Charleston it represents my lifestyle. Last night was looking at the moon through the palm tree in my yard.

Can't imagine the folks in Greenville identify so much with it -- but what do I know.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:44 PM

716 posts, read 1,236,666 times
so what are we gonna do next, send a lynch mob to destroy all the peoples property who has the confederate flag showing? I swear we're not that far away from that. America is crazy right now with this racial political nonsense thats been going on since trayvon and then mike brown.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:51 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,438,741 times
Youre wrong. Its been going on since Jim Crow.

Stop trying to fuel up nonsense and racial debate, no one is taking away your rights. Stop acting like youre being persecuted and targeted, because youre not, buddy. Its about confederate symbols coming off STATE flags and government grounds, not everywhere.

Go wave your flag around in public and "yeeyee" all you want, no one is going to stop you, nor will you be arrested. If someone comes up and assaults you, theyll be the ones who will risk being arrested. But to most people, youll just look like a jackass. But its still legal, so stop being sensational and acting like youre becoming 2nd class. Your statements are a glass house and we're seeing right through the BS.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:58 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,044,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
From that quote it doesn't really sound like it is possible to disentangle confederate heritage from racism. I understood they had the economic motivation to keep slavery going but I didn't realize racism was the basis for their constitution.
Slavery- Do you really need a pretense of racism to make it worse? I must really be missing something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina