Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2019, 07:04 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzritz007 View Post
I just hope they keep these stores nice! The Ross in Florence has gotten a little trashy, dirty and rundown. I just hate seeing that happen to places. Especially new ones.

One opinion I have is: I think the Westmark Plaza needs a facelift. They also need to strip that entire huge parking lot and redo it. Putting sections with trees to make it look nicer. Then on the Westmark rd side, add another strip of stores there. The only time I even see the parking lot close to half full is when the theater is busy.
I agree, and I think they probably will do that, to keep pace with Gateway Plaza. When Gateway is all done, it's really going to be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 11:36 AM

143 posts, read 179,999 times
Quote:
I just hope they keep these stores nice! The Ross in Florence has gotten a little trashy, dirty and rundown. I just hate seeing that happen to places. Especially new ones.

One opinion I have is: I think the Westmark Plaza needs a facelift. They also need to strip that entire huge parking lot and redo it. Putting sections with trees to make it look nicer. Then on the Westmark rd side, add another strip of stores there. The only time I even see the parking lot close to half full is when the theater is busy.

+100... This retail strip has not realized its potential and some TLC with respect to the parking lot and landscaping to include planters with some palmetto trees and nice shrubs would go a long way. Also the same for Sumter Mall. They put a lot of money in renovating the inside now they need to refresh the parking lot as well. The Sumter Mall may not be a great mall but it is worth saving as a sort of "convenience" retail if you need a gift or something and don't want to drive all the way to Columbia or Florence.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:43 PM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Default Ipaper Blog

Ipaper you got like 145,000 views on this new or coming to Sumter thread.. You should create some form of online platform/website and use it to discuss all things Sumer and advocate for some of the ideas that are being talked about in the forum.. Many cities have these types of blogs that share ideas and more importantly promote them to residents and to elected officials that often lead to changes because of the discourse..I could see you showing up in city and county council meetings asking questions and reporting on it in both a fact based and opinion manner along with getting into the weeds on the merits of the project/activity/issue.. the good the bad.... how people feel about it..etc.. Columbia has the Free Times but there is no such platform in Sumter for discourse.... Just saying....I know you probably have a day job to pay the bills.. but this thread has been a good forum for ideas on Sumter future and generally "whats happening in Sumter" which I don't think are being discussed outside of some periodic city/county visioning meetings and an occasional article in the Item. That whole debacle with the Main Street/ 378 interchange Mclaughin Ford.. I found out more about that from people on here who either made calls or went to meetings...than from any public website or the newspaper.... anyway....I would subscribe/follow..

Last edited by Woodlands; 08-28-2019 at 12:52 PM..

Old 08-28-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Ipaper you got like 145,000 views on this new or coming to Sumter thread.. You should create some form of online platform/website and use it to discuss all things Sumer and advocate for some of the ideas that are being talked about in the forum.. Many cities have these types of blogs that share ideas and more importantly promote them to residents and to elected officials that often lead to changes because of the discourse..I could see you showing up in city and county council meetings asking questions and reporting on it in both a fact based and opinion manner along with getting into the weeds on the merits of the project/activity/issue.. the good the bad.... how people feel about it..etc.. Columbia has the Free Times but there is no such platform in Sumter for discourse.... Just saying....I know you probably have a day job to pay the bills.. but this thread has been a good forum for ideas on Sumter future and generally "whats happening in Sumter" which I don't think are being discussed outside of some periodic city/county visioning meetings and an occasional article in the Item. That whole debacle with the Main Street/ 378 interchange Mclaughin Ford.. I found out more about that from people on here who either made calls or went to meetings...than from any public website or the newspaper.... anyway....I would subscribe/follow..
That's we have, not just me, it's all of us. The thread is for all of Sumter and Sumter area people to contribute, voice their opinions, and to let us know what they have heard that's coming our way. I have also learned so much from everyone as well, and I enjoy and appreciate all the replies. Regardless of what negative things people say about Sumter, I love it here. Sure it's lacking in so many areas, but I'm actually not hard to please, and there are lots of places right here in this state, that's way worst than here. Yes I work 12 hours shifts, been at this plant for 21 years and about ready to call it quits. Great place to work, great pay, and benefits. Once I stop working, I will personally get involved with what's going on and to reach out and help people. This town have a lot of people walking around with mental illness, you see them out and about all the time, and that concerns me a lot, these people need help and to be off the streets. I'm a super nice person, and I will help anyone.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:47 PM

93 posts, read 90,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
That's we have, not just me, it's all of us. The thread is for all of Sumter and Sumter area people to contribute, voice their opinions, and to let us know what they have heard that's coming our way. I have also learned so much from everyone as well, and I enjoy and appreciate all the replies. Regardless of what negative things people say about Sumter, I love it here. Sure it's lacking in so many areas, but I'm actually not hard to please, and there are lots of places right here in this state, that's way worst than here. Yes I work 12 hours shifts, been at this plant for 21 years and about ready to call it quits. Great place to work, great pay, and benefits. Once I stop working, I will personally get involved with what's going on and to reach out and help people. This town have a lot of people walking around with mental illness, you see them out and about all the time, and that concerns me a lot, these people need help and to be off the streets. I'm a super nice person, and I will help anyone.
❤ Love this!

Old 08-29-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
❤ Love this!
Thanks so much, and I mean every word of it.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:55 AM

That project at Swan Lake is moving at a snail's pace, at this rate I question if it will be ready in time for the holidays. I pass through that area often during the week, and I swear I never see anybody actually out there working. I see signs of somebody is doing something, or something is going on, but I never see anybody working on anything. Gateway Plaza project probably will be done before that project.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:06 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,655,095 times
[quote=Woodlands;56045657]Ipaper you got like 145,000 views on this new or coming to Sumter thread..

Maybe so, but there are only 6 or 7 contributors that post all the time. The rest are just reading what they are saying.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:34 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,274,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post

Maybe so, but there are only 6 or 7 contributors that post all the time. The rest are just reading what they are saying.
What a pointless and utterly useless comment.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:52 AM

143 posts, read 179,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
That project at Swan Lake is moving at a snail's pace, at this rate I question if it will be ready in time for the holidays. I pass through that area often during the week, and I swear I never see anybody actually out there working. I see signs of somebody is doing something, or something is going on, but I never see anybody working on anything. Gateway Plaza project probably will be done before that project.

LOL, funny I just rode by both places today and saw exactly the same thing. So, Wednesday at 1100am no activity at Swan Lake (I guess lunch is from 11-2). I turned right onto Alice to the Broad St intersection and saw demo activity at Gateway with demolition for addition of that wing of the plaza in-progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina