Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2020, 04:42 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,648,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtnr View Post
I was just about to say that myself and it is an advantage that seems to have landed in Florence's lap. For not being on the coast or major waterway or right on an interstate the way Florence is, I think Sumter does bunch above its weight. With that said I am not preaching complacency but I think, as you pointed out, we should compare apples to apples.
I think Sumter and Florence is a pretty good comparison city vs city wise. Florence does have the advantage in many areas, but at the same time their advantages is not overwhelming in my view. I mean I would never leave here to move there, that won't be a big enough change for me. They absolutely kill us in the interstate highway area, because we don't have any near town, and they have better than twice our metro population. I agree Sumter punches above it's weight, and in spite of Florence advantages, I think we are still in the same grouping of cities. I'm sure there are major advantages and disadvantages between Columbia, Charleston, and Greenville, but they are all still in the same grouping as top tier cities here in South Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Does the city have the power or authority to close the hotel down? I remember Club Miami near Shaw was shut down due to problems with violence.
I believe if they have probable cause they can. But also keep in mind, that hotel also pays it's share of taxes to the city as well. And I would imagine that would be a pretty lengthy process, from start to finish using the legal system. Then dealing with a empty building and what to do with it, so it's probably easier and cheaper for them just to avoid that all together or as long as they can. I believe they can find ways to shut it down if they want, but it's a lot of work. This property is much much bigger than Club Miami, and that club was right across from the base, and I'm sure that helped out in shutting it down.

Last edited by ipaper; 02-01-2020 at 07:27 AM..

Old 02-03-2020, 09:07 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I believe if they have probable cause they can. But also keep in mind, that hotel also pays it's share of taxes to the city as well. And I would imagine that would be a pretty lengthy process, from start to finish using the legal system. Then dealing with a empty building and what to do with it, so it's probably easier and cheaper for them just to avoid that all together or as long as they can. I believe they can find ways to shut it down if they want, but it's a lot of work. This property is much much bigger than Club Miami, and that club was right across from the base, and I'm sure that helped out in shutting it down.

That and I believe Club Miami likely was a tenant.. It was easier for the landlord just to kick them out and rent to some other use rather than getting into court battles and lawsuits not only from the government but from victims of violence who would likely sue the club and the landlord whether they have a solid case or not..

You are right about the Downtowner.. it is likely owner occupied (though not sure) not to mention someone can always say that it is providing "affordable" lodging for folks who need short term housing or inexpensive place to stay. They would lawyer up and fight the city tooth and nail stating that they cant control what happens inside a hotel room no more than the Hyatt Place can...especially on a domestic. It is the same defense that many liquor stores use...once someone leaves their establishment.. they cannot control if they crack open the bottle and start to guzzle it and are legally drunk by the time they hit the corner. Then, turn around and get in a fight with someone and stab them or get robbed themselves. Everyone will say it wouldn't have happened but for.. the liquor store being on the street.. And the liquor store attorneys have successfully argued otherwise.. It didn't happen in the store or on the premises...Club Miami it was happening inside and in the parking lot so they were fully responsible.

That said the City could likely condemn it especially if there are any building code violations or they may be able to take it via eminent domain and say turn it into a homeless shelter, better managed and legit short term housing development, senior center or some other public use. That too could get tied up in court.. but they can make the case that this site is best suitable for this type of use and with minimal renovation, central location be used in that manner and layer in the criminal activity concern as being a (blight that needs to be removed).. since crime may not be the best driving factor. Either way they would still have to pay the owner a premium for the property, possibly loss income not to mention possibly a portion of their legal fees.

So the cheaper option is to do nothing just send in the Police and clean up the mess...That is way cheaper unless the calls for service increase tremendously and the surrounding property values decline and people begin to move out of Anne Park as a result of its existence.. which I don't believe is happening..but the area certainly could be better off without it......

Old 02-03-2020, 09:27 AM

Default Good News

This is good from a service and development perspective... Wonder where it will go? Prime candidate for the Downtowner site??!!!

https://www.theitem.com/stories/construction-okd-for-state-veterans-nursing-home-in-sumter,340423

Old 02-03-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
That and I believe Club Miami likely was a tenant.. It was easier for the landlord just to kick them out and rent to some other use rather than getting into court battles and lawsuits not only from the government but from victims of violence who would likely sue the club and the landlord whether they have a solid case or not..

You are right about the Downtowner.. it is likely owner occupied (though not sure) not to mention someone can always say that it is providing "affordable" lodging for folks who need short term housing or inexpensive place to stay. They would lawyer up and fight the city tooth and nail stating that they cant control what happens inside a hotel room no more than the Hyatt Place can...especially on a domestic. It is the same defense that many liquor stores use...once someone leaves their establishment.. they cannot control if they crack open the bottle and start to guzzle it and are legally drunk by the time they hit the corner. Then, turn around and get in a fight with someone and stab them or get robbed themselves. Everyone will say it wouldn't have happened but for.. the liquor store being on the street.. And the liquor store attorneys have successfully argued otherwise.. It didn't happen in the store or on the premises...Club Miami it was happening inside and in the parking lot so they were fully responsible.

That said the City could likely condemn it especially if there are any building code violations or they may be able to take it via eminent domain and say turn it into a homeless shelter, better managed and legit short term housing development, senior center or some other public use. That too could get tied up in court.. but they can make the case that this site is best suitable for this type of use and with minimal renovation, central location be used in that manner and layer in the criminal activity concern as being a (blight that needs to be removed).. since crime may not be the best driving factor. Either way they would still have to pay the owner a premium for the property, possibly loss income not to mention possibly a portion of their legal fees.

So the cheaper option is to do nothing just send in the Police and clean up the mess...That is way cheaper unless the calls for service increase tremendously and the surrounding property values decline and people begin to move out of Anne Park as a result of its existence.. which I don't believe is happening..but the area certainly could be better off without it......
I believe that's what it's going to be, to do nothing at all. Plus there is no movement from the people who live in that neighborhood, to do anything about it. If it shuts down, it will be because the people who live all around it petition and protest the city to do something. People in that neighborhood, may also be afraid to petition the hotel closing due to backlash from drug dealers who make money off that place, and probably live there as well.

Old 02-03-2020, 02:13 PM

143 posts, read 179,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Or pray they simply fold and go out of business. I do live near this place and hate it with a passion so I am wondering whether a simple door-to-door petition would just be a waste of my time or actually make a difference (???). It would be wise for the city to look into developing or at least buying some of these abandoned properties on N Nain as south of downtown is getting a little limited on what can be done. But north of Calhoun would seem to have much more potential. There are pockets of decent neighborhoods and businesses, Morris College, Riley Park and redeveloping the N Main interchange near Lafayette. This hotel acts as a negative vortex that affects the perception of that whole area.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Or pray they simply fold and go out of business. I do live near this place and hate it with a passion so I am wondering whether a simple door-to-door petition would just be a waste of my time or actually make a difference (???). It would be wise for the city to look into developing or at least buying some of these abandoned properties on N Nain as south of downtown is getting a little limited on what can be done. But north of Calhoun would seem to have much more potential. There are pockets of decent neighborhoods and businesses, Morris College, Riley Park and redeveloping the N Main interchange near Lafayette. This hotel acts as a negative vortex that affects the perception of that whole area.
Maybe you can just do a small sampling of people in your neighborhood, to sort of gauge how they feel about it. You will probably get some support but, not everyone will be on board. Or, just talk with someone from the city. You can ask them questions from their website, or FB page. If you go to the website, it's like a form you fill out, then you make your comment and someone from the city will get back to you. I did this last year and someone replied to both of my concerns. You should probably start there, because base on their answer, you probably won't have to worry about a petition.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:

I would also have coffee with your city council rep and tell him your concerns and get his take on the matter.. I am sure you wont be the first person to bring up. Looks like you are in Ward 4 so that is Steve Corley.. He must be fairly new as I know nothing about him.. That may be a plus since he may be looking for something to cut his teeth on.. This could be it...
We also joked about the mayors race.. but this could be a serious question to ask at a candidates forum. You may not want to mention the motel by name.. ( a good lawyer may try to go after you for slander or something especially if you "go off" on the property and rattle off things that some may argue are unsubstantiated or hearsay especially if brought up in a public forum with media present_).. but referencing problem properties in general would be a great way to find out where the prospective candidates heads are on the issue.

https://www.sumtersc.gov/council/members

Old 02-03-2020, 04:10 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,131,841 times
I noticed some new construction going up in front of the new apartments on the corner of Broad and Carter. This new construction is between the road and the apartments. Looks more like a commercial building. Nothing like the apartments behind it. Is there a plan for a new strip retail building there? That’s what it looks like currently.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
I noticed some new construction going up in front of the new apartments on the corner of Broad and Carter. This new construction is between the road and the apartments. Looks more like a commercial building. Nothing like the apartments behind it. Is there a plan for a new strip retail building there? That’s what it looks like currently.
I saw that also and have no idea. But, I was thinking all that property belonged to the same developer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina