Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2020, 10:29 AM

192 posts, read 207,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I noticed the Sumter Mall JCPenney is on the closing list for Spring. Not surprising since they closed smaller stores in Florence, Myrtle Beach (MBMall), Orangeburg and Greenwood.

Does Sumter have a Kohl's yet?

https://companyblog.jcpnewsroom.com/storeclosings/
By the way, make sure to recheck the list. The Anderson, SC JC Penney, along with multiple others nationwide, were originally slated to close as well but they ended up deciding to not close them.

The Anderson location actually seems to have had some renovations to make it look a little more like a Dillard's when it comes to higher end colors, accents, and redone aisles (look kind of similar to the new Target design as well).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 12:26 PM

82 posts, read 73,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Hopefully another flagship store can take it's place, once the economy is back on track.
Unfortunately, Malls are a dying breed. The Sumter mall allowing Sykes and recruiters in (non-retail stores) and Roses (a traditionally non-mall store), and then allowing so many shoe stores is just not a great feel. Plus, it smells in there, especially on the end near Belk.

Personally, I'd like to see the entire thing torn down and rebuilt from scratch with a better parking lot layout and a place for an actual food court or, repurposed into medical/professional businesses or apartments. But the expense of that, as well as getting rid of existing tennants is impossible now.

Old 12-18-2020, 02:33 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,643,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaleLopezArce View Post
Unfortunately, Malls are a dying breed. The Sumter mall allowing Sykes and recruiters in (non-retail stores) and Roses (a traditionally non-mall store), and then allowing so many shoe stores is just not a great feel. Plus, it smells in there, especially on the end near Belk.

Personally, I'd like to see the entire thing torn down and rebuilt from scratch with a better parking lot layout and a place for an actual food court or, repurposed into medical/professional businesses or apartments. But the expense of that, as well as getting rid of existing tennants is impossible now.
I agree with all of this, Sumter Mall have seen it's best days that's for sure. If they had a actual food court, made up of places we don't have out in town, that in itself would have brought in a lot of extra foot traffic. But like you said, Malls are dying all across this country. Malls have to reinvent themselves now days, have to find new tenants other than retail. Sumter Mall have been a challenge for some time now, it's amazing it still even open.

Old 12-18-2020, 03:45 PM

8,222 posts, read 13,335,971 times
Quote:

It would be neat to see something of a lifestyle center built there that has a combination of retail, open space, and apartments... Maybe a smaller version of the Village of the Sandhills in Columbia. Full disclosure the Village is also having issues but I think the concept is solid for a place like Sumter, especially as the center of Broad Street is very different that the fringe of of Richland County..

Old 12-19-2020, 10:02 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,005,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.brayden.sherman View Post
By the way, make sure to recheck the list. The Anderson, SC JC Penney, along with multiple others nationwide, were originally slated to close as well but they ended up deciding to not close them.

The Anderson location actually seems to have had some renovations to make it look a little more like a Dillard's when it comes to higher end colors, accents, and redone aisles (look kind of similar to the new Target design as well).
JCPenney was purchased out of bankruptcy by mall owners Simon and Brookfield properties. Any JCP not located in one of their malls may not be long for this world. Unfortunately more closings are probably in it's future.

Old 12-25-2020, 06:47 AM

Merry Christmas Everyone, and Happy Holidays.

Last edited by ipaper; 12-25-2020 at 07:42 AM..

Old 12-28-2020, 03:41 PM

There is a petition floating around social media to get Target to come to Sumter. I have my doubts that it will really have any impact on Target management, but here's to hoping:

Bring Target to Sumter petition

Old 12-28-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
There is a petition floating around social media to get Target to come to Sumter. I have my doubts that it will really have any impact on Target management, but here's to hoping:

Ok, good luck, I signed on.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:40 PM

8,222 posts, read 13,335,971 times
Quote:

Yeah... Target's bulleye logo is likely not set on the Gamecock City.. but you never know.. At one point years ago there was talk of trying to "incentivize" certain national retailers to come to Sumter similar to what is done for manufacturing/industry. I think it got shelved because of the politics of incentivizing say a Target to come but not for Walmart or even potential harm to small businesses. They were focusing on jobs/employment numbers and sales tax revenue since the land or property tax was factored into the incentive plan...

If we saying "what if" and if we believe if you build it (Target) they will come no matter where it is... and if the City wanted to incentivize it possibly with free or reduced cost land... I would place it on the City's Public Services complex on East Liberty Street. The city can easily find some cheap industrial land (ahem like old Sumter Cabinet site) to park and repair vehicles.. But, a Target as part of a small shopping complex on this block between East Liberty, East Calhoun , Greene Street, and Commerce St (basically behind the Piggly Wiggly while removing all these old sheet metal buildings could breathe new life in to "East Sumter" and bookend the Downtown area with a major retail center.

That entire area to the east of Lafayette Blvd could be incorporated in terms of better access/entrances, signage, landscaping etc while incorporating (not tearing them down) the Piggly Wiggly, McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, and the Gas Station in that block into a new well design shopping complex with better internal streets parking lots etc ...Thompson Family if you listening, this could be your next big project...

If you look at the link below.. envision all those rusty sheet metal buildings being retail buildings with an array of small shops and the Target is the main Public Services Building down along East Liberty.. The dirt parking/roads would be paved with nice landscaped medians and court yard seating areas. to allow access throughout the site for cars and pedestrians... Lets dream....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Su...!4d-80.3414693

Last edited by Woodlands; 12-29-2020 at 01:54 PM..

Old 12-29-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
If we saying "what if" and if we believe if you build it (Target) they will come no matter where it is... and if the City wanted to incentivize it possibly with free or reduced cost land... I would place it on the City's Public Services complex on East Liberty Street. The city can easily find some cheap industrial land (ahem like old Sumter Cabinet site) to park and repair vehicles.. But, a Target as part of a small shopping complex on this block between East Liberty, East Calhoun , Greene Street, and Commerce St (basically behind the Piggly Wiggly while removing all these old sheet metal buildings could breathe new life in to "East Sumter" and bookend the Downtown area with a major retail center.

That entire area to the east of Lafayette Blvd could be incorporated in terms of better access/entrances, signage, landscaping etc while incorporating (not tearing them down) the Piggly Wiggly, McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, and the Gas Station in that block into a new well design shopping complex with better internal streets parking lots etc ...Thompson Family if you listening, this could be your next big project...

If you look at the link below.. envision all those rusty sheet metal buildings being retail buildings with an array of small shops and the Target is the main Public Services Building down along East Liberty.. The dirt parking/roads would be paved with nice landscaped medians and court yard seating areas. to allow access throughout the site for cars and pedestrians... Lets dream....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Su...!4d-80.3414693
I would think they could look at the land near Willie Sue's or in the old Kia lot area on the corner of Broad St. and Mason Rd. With all the housing/apartment building going up between Sumter and Shaw AFB on both Broad St. and Patriot Parkway, we may be due for a new supermarket (i.e. Ingles, Publix, etc.) or retail store like Target.

Years ago, I seem to recall that one of the reasons we didn't have a Target or an Olive Garden (and some other retailers) was that there just wasn't enough to do in town. Now, with the rebuilding of Sunset Country Club, the addition of the Brewery and the revitilization of downtown, I wonder if Target executives would reconsider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina