Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2016, 10:35 PM

143 posts, read 179,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
I heard that Publix had to scrap their plans to build on Alice Dr because they couldnt aquire all the land they needed. Now they are in talks with IGA on Wesmark.
Publix on Wesmark would be wonderful if this "has legs".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 08:11 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
The Piggly Wiggly on Pinewood Rd. used to be an Ingles.
I have been seeking Ingle's former location in Sumter since reading the Western Carolina University article "The Secrets of His Success" on Ingle's Markets President and Chief Executive Officer Jim Lanning.

Ingle's easternmost store was 550 West McIntyre Street, Mullins, South Carolina 29574-3410. You can notate the vintage Ingle's sign with the arrow and reader board closest to West McIntyre Street, and the familiar stone front and entry/exit of an old Ingle's store.

I do not know if Ingle's had additional stores in South Carolina beyond Saluda and the upstate. I think Ingle's overextended itself, and it retreated.

I broke down the specific store count of grocery stores in Sumter County in the thread "Sumter County, South Carolina, supermarkets and grocery stores."

Old 05-13-2016, 08:49 PM

217 posts, read 239,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
There was a third Winn Dixie on East Calhoun street, where the CVS Pharmacy is now. The WD stores had the best looking meats in my opinion. I know of only four Piggly Wiggly stores currently in Sumter now, the one downtown on Calhoun street, South Lafayette Dr and South Guignard Parkway, Pinewood Road, and Broad street. Three Food Lions, one on Highway 1 South, North Guignard Drive, and Highway 378 and 441.

Many years ago, there were two other Piggly Wiggly stores that closed on Manning Ave, and Liberty Street near the fairgrounds. There was also a Food Lion on North Lafayette Dr, but it didn't last long at all, today that building is Santee Hematology and Oncology medical park. And as you mentioned above, the two IGA stores. There is one Bi-Lo, one ALDI, and one Save a Lot. I also remember when Sumter had a A&P supermarket.

Don't forget the old broad street BiLo that is now TJmaxx

Old 05-13-2016, 08:58 PM

217 posts, read 239,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtnr View Post
Publix on Wesmark would be wonderful if this "has legs".
The lot on Patriot Parkway @ Loring mill next to wille sue's would be perfect for Publix or even a returning Kroger, since the lot was cleared and designed for piggly wiggly until they backed out. That lot surrounded by several middle and upper income subdivisions.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
The lot on Patriot Parkway @ Loring mill next to wille sue's would be perfect for Publix or even a returning Kroger, since the lot was cleared and designed for piggly wiggly until they backed out. That lot surrounded by several middle and upper income subdivisions.
Agreed but the only problem with that is the lot is owned by the family that owns the Piggly Wiggly stores in Sumter (in addition to Willie-Sues) and they don't want more competition. So just like every other commercial property owner they wont sell for less than an astronomical sum (probably from buying overpriced property before the real estate bubble pop). I also understand that a divorce is involved with the family that owns the property and one party does not want to sell due to division of assets and proceeds from the sale to the other party.

Besides "Upscale Piggly Wiggly" is an oxymoron.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:59 PM

Default Medical Mental Health Facility

I saw a sign posted on North Pike for a new Mental Health facility not too far from Dillon Park. I think it will be constructed on the site of the old drive-in movie theater. Anything medical related is a great win for Sumter as hopefully these will be jobs that pay decently. I will try to find more information.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:24 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
The new building on Lafayette next to the new Markette is a stand alone beer wine and spirits store. Thats one big liquor store.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:21 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
The new building on Lafayette next to the new Markette is a stand alone beer wine and spirits store. Thats one big liquor store.
Yes it is, and they are not messing with it either. It should be open for business in the very near future.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:58 PM

308 posts, read 468,238 times
Was in Sumter for the first time in a long time in the downtown area. Was pretty impressed on the traffic and things going on.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:12 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinachaos View Post
Was in Sumter for the first time in a long time in the downtown area. Was pretty impressed on the traffic and things going on.
Moving in the right direction, but at a snail's pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina