Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 12:05 PM

143 posts, read 179,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I'm not sure about that one, a lot can happen in the next decade and forecast can change. However, I don't see any population explosion anytime soon. I see indicators around town that suggest things are not as bad as they seem. Traffic is getting worst all the time around here in different areas of town, and I often wonder where the heck is all these people are coming from. Sumter was ready to take back in 2008, signs were everywhere of things to come, but the recession of 2009 pretty much wiped all that out. And when the recession was over, hardly any of those things continued with their plans.
Sure, and I take that projection with a grain of salt as well. I was just surprised by the projection. I want to say it was from the US Census but I could be wrong. The large apartment complex off of Broad and the townhomes and single family homes being built off of Patriot Pkwy would indicate that the projection is off too.

I moved here in 2008 (to Shaw) and saw how this town was just on the brink of really booming and then the recession hit as you said. At the time, this place reminded me of another base I was at in Georgia (Robins AFB) and the town of Warner Robins. But I think what Warner Robins has going for it is the exodus of so many from Macon...it was like everybody and his brother was leaving Macon, GA for Warner Robins. Case in point, Houston county (Warner Robins) was still rapidly growing throughout the recession. Here it seems people try to live in Richland county maybe because of the school system (???) I don't have any school aged children now so I am not sure.

Just my 2 cents but a checklist/wishlist of what Sumter needs to really get off the ground:

1. Improved education system. From what I have heard, Sumter doesn't get high marks. So at least an improved perception of the school system here so new families will not feel the need to live in Richland county.

2. Infrastructure expansion. I'm so glad that Broad is getting work done, finally. I think we should continue with 4-laning of 521 all the way to I-20, through or around Rembert. An even more ambitious accomplishment would be 4-laning HWY 15 from south Sumter all the way to I-95.

3. More amenities. If we could get just a few of the conveniences of the larger towns that could realistically be supported in this community: the promised Home Depot, Target, I think Sumter can support a Sam's Club, and a Publix, this might entice people to think that they don't "have" to move to Richland county after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 12:58 PM

8,236 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Quote:
I'm not sure about that one, a lot can happen in the next decade and forecast can change. However, I don't see any population explosion anytime soon. I see indicators around town that suggest things are not as bad as they seem. Traffic is getting worst all the time around here in different areas of town, and I often wonder where the heck is all these people are coming from. Sumter was ready to take back in 2008, signs were everywhere of things to come, but the recession of 2009 pretty much wiped all that out. And when the recession was over, hardly any of those things continued with their plans.

Aside from people moving to Sumter for Shaw or corporate relocations.. I know a number of people that are moving into Sumter from the surrounding counties in SC. There are not in huge numbers but people coming in from Lee, Kershaw, Clarendon, and Orangeburg likely to live in a larger community but still be close to their extended families. Ironically.. the threat to Sumter exist to its east and west.. Columbia and Florence.. which if I used these treads as an unscientific survey.. siphons many would be residents away based on recommendations from denizens of these surrounding areas...

Old 06-25-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
The hotel boom in Sumter is growing in the direction the city is growing, westward. The hotels are occupied by a variety of tenants such as, visitors, contractors, extended stay, and a few people actually live there in suites. Believe it or not, things do take place in this town. I work at a top tier industry in Sumter, we are the world largest at what we do. People come into town from all over the country and from around the world to visit the site, and I'm not talking about Continental Tires, but I imagine the same thing applies to them as well, and people need a place to stay. We had a large group of people just this week from all over the state in town for a tour of the site, we also had a large group of Canadians earlier this year. People come for business purposes, tournaments, and to visit family, family reunions, weddings, the military connection,and funerals.

To me, there is not anything in Sumter to attract people here for a weekend or day trip beyond loading up the family to come in from Lynchburg to do some Shopping. It would be interesting to see if Sumter could support a regional amenity that would draw people in from the midlands and parts of the Pee Dee and beyond. The City of Gaithersburg MD has a water park that draws in people from several hours away in for visits..It is cheaper than going to one of the major commercial water parks and its smaller so its good for families with small kids.. Residents get in free or for a discount. I have been to this facility several times and it is ALWAYS packed from people from across the DC suburbs and even parts of Virginia.. And this is in a Major Metro City with tons of other things to do......Something like this out Broad Street would likely attract folks in to town and fort those already here for other leisure events to possibly stick around longer and spend more $$

The only downside is.. without direct interstate access..it may not maximize its potential.. If you build it out on 378 and 95... there is nothing out there.

Water Park at Bohrer Park

Old 06-25-2018, 02:02 PM

12,969 posts, read 9,651,799 times
One of the main disadvantage for Sumter, is the lack of a major interstate highway running through it or nearby. All of the state top tire cities, or bigger cities and town have that fact in common. And some of the other larger towns and cities are part of a larger metro area, like Mount Pleasant, North Charleston, and Summerville. With all things considered, I think this town is doing pretty good for itself, plus we are surrounded by much smaller counties population wise. You just have to keep things in perspective when talking about Sumter, no interstate, not part of larger metro, close proximity to Columbia and Florence.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:24 AM

143 posts, read 179,866 times
This is what I'm talking about!! I mentioned above about an improvement to the education system in Sumter. Attached is an article from the Item. Bubba's Diner on 841 Broad Street will close but the Sumter School district will construct a new Technical High School on the property..eventually, but I think this is a great step in the right direction. But even more good news is that Bubba's will reopen in a new location according to the owners.

Bubba's Diner closes, owners vow to open again in Sumter | The Sumter Item

So it looks like that whole block with the CCTC building and now this tech high school will be an excellent incubator for luring new jobs to the area. My 'guess' is that the footprint for this high school will encompass the site where the diner is now plus the strip mall where East of Chicago used to be(???). This is great news!

Old 06-26-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtnr View Post
This is what I'm talking about!! I mentioned above about an improvement to the education system in Sumter. Attached is an article from the Item. Bubba's Diner on 841 Broad Street will close but the Sumter School district will construct a new Technical High School on the property..eventually, but I think this is a great step in the right direction. But even more good news is that Bubba's will reopen in a new location according to the owners.

So it looks like that whole block with the CCTC building and now this tech high school will be an excellent incubator for luring new jobs to the area. My 'guess' is that the footprint for this high school will encompass the site where the diner is now plus the strip mall where East of Chicago used to be(???). This is great news!
Thanks for posting that info, yes good news.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtnr View Post

That is a large piece of property(when combined with their other holdings adjacent to the site).. It likely has more parking than it needs and thus can support a nice size structure for a tech school.

I would like for the Health Science Center to expand downtown as well. Maybe across S. Harvin Street and take over those few businesses and the Salvation Army branch along Kendrick Street or even along South Oakland between Main and S. Harvin to anchor downtown...The more people that you can bring downtown five days per week the better.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:50 PM

The wooded lots all around McLaughlin Ford is being cleared out, major tree moving project behind the old Bradley's Market . A lady in that neighborhood told me, that it's part of the highway project.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:56 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,132,552 times
Something going on at the old G&G pet store on Guignard. I noticed some activity there last week. Didn’t think much about it until I drove by today and saw a dumpster with a plastic liner. That indicates asbestos removal and that is $$$. Somebody has big plans if they are investing in asbestos removal. Possibly complete demolition.

Anyone know????

Old 07-10-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Something going on at the old G&G pet store on Guignard. I noticed some activity there last week. Didn’t think much about it until I drove by today and saw a dumpster with a plastic liner. That indicates asbestos removal and that is $$$. Somebody has big plans if they are investing in asbestos removal. Possibly complete demolition.

Anyone know????
I notice that as well when I was at the DG today. Haven't heard anything but I will post if I find out anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina