Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2020, 04:36 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,338,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
They also list the job duties of this new officer, and going through trash to find a link to someone is one of those duties. I agree, they will most definitely have their work cut out for them. And maybe go with sidewalk trash bends in the downtown area. Maybe they do have those down there, but I haven't noticed. Some cities do have these out in front of their business.
Many cities will prosecute people for putting household garbage in street containers along public streets ....I have seen business owners take their trash out and shovd it in a bin in front of their store in some cities ...it causes the bins to fill up quickly and overflow and cause litter ...Dont know if Sumter is going that far but it's within the realm of possibilities. I wonder if it will be ticket incentive driven ...like we have all have thought about parking and speeding tickets. You need to write more to meet some quota ...that will make it interesting...the next step is " clean and lien". If you don't clean it up within a certain time frame they will ticket you and eventually clean it up for you and place a lien for the clean up on the property. Some jurisdictions add to your tax bill which would require you to pay when you pay your taxes versus a lien that may not be executed unless you sell the property or they take you to court to force you to pay. Not sure what the laws are in SC ...from what I recall they are lax and give property owner latitude vs say NYC Philly or some place where they are more aggressive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 06:01 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Many cities will prosecute people for putting household garbage in street containers along public streets ....I have seen business owners take their trash out and shovd it in a bin in front of their store in some cities ...it causes the bins to fill up quickly and overflow and cause litter ...Dont know if Sumter is going that far but it's within the realm of possibilities. I wonder if it will be ticket incentive driven ...like we have all have thought about parking and speeding tickets. You need to write more to meet some quota ...that will make it interesting...the next step is " clean and lien". If you don't clean it up within a certain time frame they will ticket you and eventually clean it up for you and place a lien for the clean up on the property. Some jurisdictions add to your tax bill which would require you to pay when you pay your taxes versus a lien that may not be executed unless you sell the property or they take you to court to force you to pay. Not sure what the laws are in SC ...from what I recall they are lax and give property owner latitude vs say NYC Philly or some place where they are more aggressive
I just don't think many people, respect or take any laws we have on littering serious. It's just something people don't talk about, or hear of people getting in trouble about it. I actually don't think many local towns and cities across the state, take littering as serious as they should. We have to try to change the culture around here, and that won't be easy. The state of South Carolina had the dirtiest state title back in 2014, and that's always one of the major complaints from visitors to our towns and cities. We should always try to at least keep the downtown area, and our major streets looking as clean as possible. And especially around the entrance into the city, and Broad street where all the major hotels, and where the out of town guest will be staying.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:06 AM

82 posts, read 73,729 times
The Refuel Stop (Gas Station and convenience store) on the corner of Alice Drive and 521 is now open. It was originally slated to be a Markette but I guess those plans fell through. The new station looks nice from the outside and getting in/out will be easy once they finish with the road construction. Sumter thinks this will help spur on some further development that way according to this article.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaleLopezArce View Post
The Refuel Stop (Gas Station and convenience store) on the corner of Alice Drive and 521 is now open. It was originally slated to be a Markette but I guess those plans fell through. The new station looks nice from the outside and getting in/out will be easy once they finish with the road construction. Sumter thinks this will help spur on some further development that way according to this article.
I was in there this morning at the wrong time of the day. A Sumter County officer was shot and killed further down the street, cops was flying past there like crazy. The store is nice inside, some of the things are a little pricy. I believe there is subdivision going up right next door to it. And the Five Below store opens later this week as well.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:30 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
I was in there this morning at the wrong time of the day. A Sumter County officer was shot and killed further down the street, cops was flying past there like crazy. The store is nice inside, some of the things are a little pricy. I believe there is subdivision going up right next door to it. And the Five Below store opens later this week as well.

Sheriff Deputy shot and killed?!.... Sumter...SMH

Old 02-25-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Sheriff Deputy shot and killed?!.... Sumter...SMH
Not in the city of Sumter, but I'm guessing that area is part of Dalzell. Prayers and thoughts is family, friends, and fellow officers.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:47 AM

The old Pizza Hut building on Broad St between Taco Bell and Zaxby's was demolished this morning. Anybody know what is happening there?

Old 02-26-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Not in the city of Sumter, but I'm guessing that area is part of Dalzell. Prayers and thoughts is family, friends, and fellow officers.
I live very close to that location. It is actually part of the city of Sumter... Echoing your thoughts and prayers to the family, friends, fellow LEOs in the area...

Old 02-26-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaleLopezArce View Post
The old Pizza Hut building on Broad St between Taco Bell and Zaxby's was demolished this morning. Anybody know what is happening there?
I didn't noticed, but that's good news. That's a hot location there, and really surprise it went that long before something was done with it. Thanks for that info.

Old 02-29-2020, 12:37 PM

143 posts, read 179,780 times
Questions: I thought I read on this board somewhere that Jones was building the car dealership farther out on Broad near Tractor Supply Co and the hotels, so I am assuming the dealership under construction right now is the future home of Jones? ..or is that something else altogether? I drove by their but could not catch a good glimpse of the signage. Also, if it is a future Jones dealership, will it be just Buick or just one of the three or some combination of all three (Buick, Nissan and Chevy). It does not look big enough to accommodate all three.

..and an even more far out rumor is that once Jones relocates, the vacant parcel(s) across from Lowe's will be a potential site for Publix. I know the Publix rumor has been beat to death on here but I think there was a notion that this was all supposed to be part of a process: Jones builds bigger facility farther down on Broad, Jones moves one or more of the dealerships from Broad/Alice Drive there and finally Publix or other retail will fill in the vacancy is the on-going scenario. Does anybody know about this possibility?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina