Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:03 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,248 times

Advertisements

Travel + Leisure names Charleston best city in U.S. and Canada for third consecutive year - Post and Courier

Getting global awesomeness awards is simply becoming an annual event down here now.

Charleston named #1 city in US/Canada. #2 in world...behind #1 Kyoto, Japan.

Graded on beauty, culture, food, arts, people, etc.

Just dont drive inland into SC. They're trying to refight the Civil War apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 10:07 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
I don't knock the good press Charleston is getting, but come on; this is a purely boosterish ranking.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't knock the good press Charleston is getting, but come on; this is a purely boosterish ranking.
How so?

Food? We are a foodie mecca. Forbes top 100 restaurants. ..3 are here.
Women? Per capita the hottest women in America. Its insane. And its like 5/1 to guys. Easily Charlestons top draw.
Culture? Very diverse and wide range. From international Spoleto Festival to Gullah which exists nowhere in the world except the Lowcountry.
History? Charleston is one of the most historical cities in North America.
Beauty? Ocean. Rivers. Wildlife. Its wonderful.
Beaches? Some of Americas best.
Golf? Some of Americas best.

Another top 10 ranked city (Savannah) just an hour or so drive South. And tourist mecca Myrtle Beach an hour or so North.

Its almost heaven....if not for the heat and skeeters.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:37 AM

#1 ahead of NYC, San Francisco, Boston, New Orleans, etc.?

#2 in the WORLD ahead of Paris, Rome, London, Toronto, etc.?

LOL, okay. I'm not a Charleston basher by ANY means, but COME ON. You seriously can't believe this is some sort of objective ranking.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
#1 ahead of NYC, San Francisco, Boston, New Orleans, etc.?

#2 in the WORLD ahead of Paris, Rome, London, Toronto, etc.?

LOL, okay. I'm not a Charleston basher by ANY means, but COME ON. You seriously can't believe this is some sort of objective ranking.
Depends. Those are MASSIVE cities. Its not all nice. Charleston is almost like carving out the 10% awesomeness section of those mega cities....and not having to deal with the horrible traffic, pollution, crime, etc.

Using Paris as an example...its tourist area and all is wonderful. But outside that...its a ****hole with a lot of crime. Same for NY.

I see your point and it makes sense. But....if we added 3, 000, 000 peoples worth of run down urban decay and traffic around Charlestons outskirts....it would basically be like those places. Being so much bigger is why some assume it must be better.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Depends. Those are MASSIVE cities. Its not all nice. Charleston is almost like carving out the 10% awesomeness section of those mega cities....and not having to deal with the horrible traffic, pollution, crime, etc.

Using Paris as an example...its tourist area and all is wonderful. But outside that...its a ****hole with a lot of crime. Same for NY.

I see your point and it makes sense. But....if we added 3, 000, 000 peoples worth of run down urban decay and traffic around Charlestons outskirts....it would basically be like those places. Being so much bigger is why some assume it must be better.
It's not just about being bigger; I didn't name Beijing or Mumbai or Lagos.

Sorry, there's just no comparison here. Charleston's historic district is very tiny compared to the vast urban areas of those other cities and thus it offers considerably less. Pound-for-pound, this ranking is about as subjective and boosterish as it gets.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:16 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
It's not just about being bigger; I didn't name Beijing or Mumbai or Lagos.

Sorry, there's just no comparison here. Charleston's historic district is very tiny compared to the vast urban areas of those other cities and thus it offers considerably less. Pound-for-pound, this ranking is about as subjective and boosterish as it gets.
I have to disagree here. Charleston's historic district is massive compared to most historic districts aside from maybe Rome and Florence. It's much cleaner though. Both Florence and Rome are covered in graffiti. You can drink the water in Charleston and public toilets actually have seats.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:20 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post

Just dont drive inland into SC. They're trying to refight the Civil War apparently.
C'mon. This again? Why throw a dig like this into a post about something you should feel good about?

Old 07-07-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I have to disagree here. Charleston's historic district is massive compared to most historic districts aside from maybe Rome and Florence.
You DO know I'm not just talking about one area with the designation of "historic district" right? I'm talking about historic urban cores and neighborhoods in general. The lower peninsula of Charleston is extremely small compared to the urban cores/adjacent neighborhoods of NYC, San Francisco, Boston, London, Paris, Rome, etc. This is simply not a debatable point whatsoever.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:31 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
You DO know I'm not just talking about one area with the designation of "historic district" right? I'm talking about historic urban cores and neighborhoods in general. The lower peninsula of Charleston is extremely small compared to the urban cores/adjacent neighborhoods of NYC, San Francisco, Boston, London, Paris, Rome, etc. This is simply not a debatable point whatsoever.
Thats more related to size which apparently isn't a factor. We're not the one's nominating ourselves, we get this recognition all the time. We're even being considered to be the only U.S. City to be designated as a world heritage site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina