Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do the *majority* of those who stand with the Confederate flag, do so out of agnst towards certain e
Yes. The majority of those who support the Flag, do so out of angst towards certain ethnic groups. 45 46.39%
No. The majority of those who identify with the confederate flag, do so for reasons outside of race. 52 53.61%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 10:17 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,918,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Need to read up on constitutional monarchy again. King George had the same powers the Queen of England does now. Britain has a democratically elected bicameral legislature with an elected prime minister for their executive. Works the same as our government with the exception the monarch is a powerless state figurehead. The "tyranny" aspect is a myth. The problem American colonist had was there was no elected official representing their interest, yet were subjected to an unfair tax system. Thus the "taxation without representation" cause. In the South's case the Democratic Party had lost enough seats in congress as well as the presidency at a a time when new territories were being assigned as either slave or free and thus would be permanently relegated as a minority party. Succession was basically under the same pretense of the American Revolution since the south had effectively lost meaningful representation.

Why the North still felt like they needed the South to the point of destroying its infrastructure, creating animosity among its citizens and ruining it's economy makes little sense. Then at the end saying " can't we all just get along?".
Pretty much worked out like an abusive marriage were one spouse "convinces" the other to stay by knocking their teeth in.

By all means go. No one will stop you this time. I wish we hadn't the last time. Reluctant Americans the lot of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 10:38 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,440,637 times
16 Gut-Wrenching Photos Show What a KKK Rally Looks Like in 2015 - Mic

Maybe now you flag supporters understand why us distancing ourselves from it had to be done? THIS is why when people see a house, yard, truck, or t-shirt with the flag, they automatically think "racist."

Took a day trip to Asheville today. Had to drive up US-25 through country Greenville, and there was flags and trucks with flags riding near me everywhere, plus that big flag shop outside TR. Didnt feel the most comfortable riding through that area at all to be honest. Felt alot better once I got past the NC line, where I started seeing crosses and Jesus billboards instead. Been hearing stories of people getting cut off on the road and harassed by flag twirlers lately too. Happened to my cousin in Anderson, and a family friend when she was on the interstate. The trucker jumped in front her, braked, went for his exit, and cracked a smile at her and flipped her off. Does that trucker not realize the multitude of property and human damage he could have caused, just for ignorance?

Its reasons like this why America is backpeddling away from the flag. I personally think taking off Dukes of Hazzard from TV is extreme, but you have Dylan Roof and these KKK nuts to blame. Dont blame blacks or "northern whites", blame your fellow white men who take that flag, stick a swastika on it, and make ape noises at the crowd.

You can say "the KKK has a small membership" all you want, the mindset is still there, and our past sins will never go away. The flag will always have a racist and oppresive connotation, just like it will always have a "heritage" connotation that yall claim (though I still dont know why we'd be proud of our not so friendly past). So dont blame someone for assuming "racist" when they see it and hear you want it up. Its not our faults. Its the faults of these scraggly men. Shame we even let them touch our statehouse steps with their hatred.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:43 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
Quote:
Need to read up on constitutional monarchy again. King George had the same powers the Queen of England does now. Britain has a democratically elected bicameral legislature with an elected prime minister for their executive. Works the same as our government with the exception the monarch is a powerless state figurehead. The "tyranny" aspect is a myth. The problem American colonist had was there was no elected official representing their interest, yet were subjected to an unfair tax system. Thus the "taxation without representation" cause. In the South's case the Democratic Party had lost enough seats in congress as well as the presidency at a a time when new territories were being assigned as either slave or free and thus would be permanently relegated as a minority party. Succession was basically under the same pretense of the American Revolution since the south had effectively lost meaningful representation.

Why the North still felt like they needed the South to the point of destroying its infrastructure, creating animosity among its citizens and ruining it's economy makes little sense. Then at the end saying " can't we all just get along?".
Pretty much worked out like an abusive marriage were one spouse "convinces" the other to stay by knocking their teeth in.

For one thing the US was a colony of Britain, they were not part of the nation as the South was. So there's that. And of course I would not expect Britain to simply allow the colony to split, that's why the people signing the Declaration of Independence understood it was a declaration of war. You keep insisting nations should allow factions to simply walk away. Please get it through your head, it does not happen and there are reasons for that.

Finally you continue to complain about the North "destroying its infrastructure, creating animosity among its citizens (that was my favorite one) and ruining it's economy". Again this is what happens when you declare war, you expect the other guys to play nice when you declare war on them?

You liken it to an abusive marriage when it's really a guy picking a fight, then complaining after he gets his ass kicked that the other guy was too mean to him.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
I think most people dont a have a clue what the flag stands for or represents other than its a good looking flag,goes well on a pickup truck and most like the inference to rebel.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:11 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,937,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
For one thing the US was a colony of Britain, they were not part of the nation as the South was. So there's that. And of course I would not expect Britain to simply allow the colony to split, that's why the people signing the Declaration of Independence understood it was a declaration of war. You keep insisting nations should allow factions to simply walk away. Please get it through your head, it does not happen and there are reasons for that.

Finally you continue to complain about the North "destroying its infrastructure, creating animosity among its citizens (that was my favorite one) and ruining it's economy". Again this is what happens when you declare war, you expect the other guys to play nice when you declare war on them?

You liken it to an abusive marriage when it's really a guy picking a fight, then complaining after he gets his ass kicked that the other guy was too mean to him.
If that were the case why do we always back separatists in foreign countries? The U.S. Itself was a separatists state, as is almost every country in the Americas.

Considering we didnt march through Iraq burning a 60 mile swath through the country to break the will of the people we were hoping to win over, I'd say nobody in modern times agrees with your thoughts on the matter.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:48 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,937,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post

Maybe now you flag supporters understand why us distancing ourselves from it had to be done? THIS is why when people see a house, yard, truck, or t-shirt with the flag, they automatically think "racist."

Took a day trip to Asheville today. Had to drive up US-25 through country Greenville, and there was flags and trucks with flags riding near me everywhere, plus that big flag shop outside TR. Didnt feel the most comfortable riding through that area at all to be honest. Felt alot better once I got past the NC line, where I started seeing crosses and Jesus billboards instead. Been hearing stories of people getting cut off on the road and harassed by flag twirlers lately too. Happened to my cousin in Anderson, and a family friend when she was on the interstate. The trucker jumped in front her, braked, went for his exit, and cracked a smile at her and flipped her off. Does that trucker not realize the multitude of property and human damage he could have caused, just for ignorance?

Its reasons like this why America is backpeddling away from the flag. I personally think taking off Dukes of Hazzard from TV is extreme, but you have Dylan Roof and these KKK nuts to blame. Dont blame blacks or "northern whites", blame your fellow white men who take that flag, stick a swastika on it, and make ape noises at the crowd.

You can say "the KKK has a small membership" all you want, the mindset is still there, and our past sins will never go away. The flag will always have a racist and oppresive connotation, just like it will always have a "heritage" connotation that yall claim (though I still dont know why we'd be proud of our not so friendly past). So dont blame someone for assuming "racist" when they see it and hear you want it up. Its not our faults. Its the faults of these scraggly men. Shame we even let them touch our statehouse steps with their hatred.
Quite honestly I wouldn't feel comfortable there either.
Google posted a map of most racists places in America based on racial search results.
The most racist places in America, according to Google - The Washington Post

You'll see most of it extends up Appalachia into western Massachusettes. The irony is that almost none of these places favored succession.
These people were racist before and they still are after the flag debate. Now they're really riled up.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:50 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
Quote:
If that were the case why do we always back separatists in foreign countries? The U.S. Itself was a separatists state, as is almost every country in the Americas.

Considering we didnt march through Iraq burning a 60 mile swath through the country to break the will of the people we were hoping to win over, I'd say nobody in modern times agrees with your thoughts on the matter.
The issue is not that the separatists are always wrong. The issue we have been discussion is should and does the original country simply step aside and allow them to split away. As I said it never happens so why are you suggestion it should have happened when the South attempted to do it?

While I agree Sherman's army went too far let's not pretend the South didn't start this whole thing. Again when you pick a fight you really don't have much to complain about when the other side responds. In an abusive marriage the victim is not pushing the violence, in this situation the "victim" started the fight.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:37 AM

53 posts, read 42,343 times
Quote:

Ironically, you cry how evil the kkk is (bunch of whiney guys using anything to stay relevant if you ask me...) but last I checked they did not cause any violence. It was a bunch of thugs jumping people carrying a flag. Throwing objects at middle aged wome and breaking their nose. That is what the media won't show this, but you and every other sheep is terrified of someone flying a battle flag.

You know what? After the videos I saw yesterday I'm terrified by every god damn pan African flag.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:01 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,440,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1200xl View Post
Ironically, you cry how evil the kkk is (bunch of whiney guys using anything to stay relevant if you ask me...) but last I checked they did not cause any violence. It was a bunch of thugs jumping people carrying a flag. Throwing objects at middle aged wome and breaking their nose. That is what the media won't show this, but you and every other sheep is terrified of someone flying a battle flag.

You know what? After the videos I saw yesterday I'm terrified by every god damn pan African flag.
I saw that, and ive seen your post said by dozens of other country looking people on other websites. I saw the videos and that shouldnt have happened, but its more than that. It doesnt matter if the KKK was "peaceful" physically, they are not a peaceful organization. Never have been, never will be. You blame people for getting physical, when thats exactly what the Klan was trying to cause, and they succeeded, but you wont call them instigators? Becasue they were "peaceful."

People can say all this "this isnt the same Klan" BS all you want, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck. Its very dishearting that people have been defending them, just because they were non-violent. Thats like defending a group of rapists just becasue they did all their raping in Mexico and not the US. A rapist is a rapist, a Klansman is a Klansman. And when I see people that say things like "let them rally, its peaceful", it shows your attitude doesnt fall far from the tree.

All youre doing is avoiding the problem, because its a white problem. Whenever a white mass shooter or white officer kills people of color (not just black, any color), many white people are quick to not address the problem, but instead go "well what about Chicago?", "Well weren't they illegals?" Because you dont want to admit the actions of your fellow white man. Same thing here. You know the Klan is evil, but you dont want to admit the actions of these low lifes because it makes white people look bad, so instead you go "well what about the black people there throwing rocks?" Please spare me. And of course you use "thugs." Did you calling "Dylan Roof a thug? Doubt it.

If you dont see the problem here then I know your attitude and dont want to associate with you. I dont condone the Black Panthers or black teens getting physical, but thats nothing compared to the decades of lynchings, mobings, arsons, and general scare, oppresive, and VIOLENT tactics that the Klan boys used. And dont even with the "that was a long time ago, times have changed", their attitudes havent changed and they never will. Any non-white person will always be beneath them and inferior in their eyes. President Obama's education and intelligence runs circles around their simple minded pea brains, but hes still inferior to them, just because he is black and they cant STAND to have a black man in power above them. Thats not only a Klan mentality either. So spare me the defense. Of everything I said, you pick out the part that puts blacks in the spotlight, but you say nothing on the evil hate group that was waving Swastika flags and calling for a "white revolution" or the flag boys harrasing people on the road. Doesnt matter if its for attention, theyre still doing it.

Disgusting. Not even going to entertain you further.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:28 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
I saw that, and ive seen your post said by dozens of other country looking people on other websites. I saw the videos and that shouldnt have happened, but its more than that. It doesnt matter if the KKK was "peaceful" physically, they are not a peaceful organization. Never have been, never will be. You blame people for getting physical, when thats exactly what the Klan was trying to cause, and they succeeded, but you wont call them instigators? Becasue they were "peaceful."

People can say all this "this isnt the same Klan" BS all you want, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck. Its very dishearting that people have been defending them, just because they were non-violent. Thats like defending a group of rapists just becasue they did all their raping in Mexico and not the US. A rapist is a rapist, a Klansman is a Klansman. And when I see people that say things like "let them rally, its peaceful", it shows your attitude doesnt fall far from the tree.

All youre doing is avoiding the problem, because its a white problem. Whenever a white mass shooter or white officer kills people of color (not just black, any color), many white people are quick to not address the problem, but instead go "well what about Chicago?", "Well weren't they illegals?" Because you dont want to admit the actions of your fellow white man. Same thing here. You know the Klan is evil, but you dont want to admit the actions of these low lifes because it makes white people look bad, so instead you go "well what about the black people there throwing rocks?" Please spare me. And of course you use "thugs." Did you calling "Dylan Roof a thug? Doubt it.

If you dont see the problem here then I know your attitude and dont want to associate with you. I dont condone the Black Panthers or black teens getting physical, but thats nothing compared to the decades of lynchings, mobings, arsons, and general scare, oppresive, and VIOLENT tactics that the Klan boys used. And dont even with the "that was a long time ago, times have changed", their attitudes havent changed and they never will. Any non-white person will always be beneath them and inferior in their eyes. President Obama's education and intelligence runs circles around their simple minded pea brains, but hes still inferior to them, just because he is black and they cant STAND to have a black man in power above them. Thats not only a Klan mentality either. So spare me the defense. Of everything I said, you pick out the part that puts blacks in the spotlight, but you say nothing on the evil hate group that was waving Swastika flags and calling for a "white revolution" or the flag boys harrasing people on the road. Doesnt matter if its for attention, theyre still doing it.

Disgusting. Not even going to entertain you further.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina