Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do the *majority* of those who stand with the Confederate flag, do so out of agnst towards certain e
Yes. The majority of those who support the Flag, do so out of angst towards certain ethnic groups. 45 46.39%
No. The majority of those who identify with the confederate flag, do so for reasons outside of race. 52 53.61%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 02:27 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Mutiny77,

Feel free to continue to live in the past, just like they are. Nothing in your statement concerning history makes it ok to gang stomp down a person exercising their free speech rights. Nothing in your history statement changes the fact that those people got played by the Klan. Instead of turning their back and getting good press for being better people, they reinforced a stereotype that the black community embraces violence.
This is not "living in the past;" this crap is happening right here and now, and past events have an impact on the present and provide context for the present. You simply choose to sweep such history under the rug because it hurts your argument and that's quite sad.

If anyone comes away with all of this with a reinforced stereotype of Black people and none of the Klan, or if they emphasize the former over the latter, then they are part of the problem. Frankly at this point, I don't give a d@#% what people like that think because they aren't worth arguing with.

Quote:
I said, "It could be argued", and is often. There are different types of oppression and certainly were different experiences. One can't hide being black like one could hide being gay. But sterilization, execution, and other violent acts were common practice for those "discovered" to being homosexual. Many of these things continue to go on today in even modern countries around the world. It wasn't until this year that same sex couples could, without question, wed.
Yes you said "it could be argued" and it appears as though you're making that ridiculous argument. All of those things and more were much more common and carried out systematically for Black people who don't have the luxury of hiding their skin color. And before sterilization, there was forced selective breeding to perpetuate the slave population. Execution and violent acts? Let's talk about the Middle Passage, routine lynchings, church bombings, and whatever else you want to talk about. I'm not denying that gay people have historically faced oppression, but give me a break on the comparison because it's a losing argument.

Quote:
However, none of that was the point. The point was the LGBT community changed society not by physically beating down their oppressors, but by living as consistent open examples of how wrong their stereotypes have been.
Did you not take a U.S. history course? This is exactly what the Civil Rights movement accomplished; Black people have been there and done that before the LGBT community, which found inspiration in the CRM. However, as to your point, these days I wouldn't blame a gay person for preemptively defending themselves against a group of people taunting and threatening them, particularly if they had a distinct history of violence against gays--not at all.

Quote:
Who got good press? The black officer that helped the Klan member due to the heat. That's an example of rising above and being the better man.
Yeah, that's his job. Duh.

Quote:
In any of the recent riots, the demonstrators did everything they could to instigate a reaction from the police and tried to capture it on video. You saw the same thing during the Occupy demonstrations. It wasn't ok for the police to react and gang beat down people based on verbal taunts. And, no one would be blaming the protesters... all the blame would have been on the police. They have the right to say their idiotic things and you don't have the right to physically attack them for it. Period.
This is because the police have a special responsibility here as public servants, and those participating in demonstrations don't have a decades-long history of terrorism, intimidation, and murder when it comes to police. Again, this is not apples to apples.

Quote:
I will back track a touch and add focus to my media news comment. I should have said national news and national print media. Local news organizations are a different animal and tend to have a reverse racist slant. They tend to show black suspected and convicted criminals more than white. Now is that because the news is simply pandering to the audience and it's about making money? Is the news simply re-enforcing the stereotype of violence in the black community? In either case it's racist and both local and national news should do more to even out its coverage respectively.
Perhaps it's a local issue where you are, but where I've lived, I've seen coverage go both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 03:05 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
Mutiny77, Again, I'm pretty good with both my US and world history. I attempt to learn from history, not continue to repeat the same mistakes.

Obviously you feel the violence was justified due to the verbal taunts. I don't believe you'll find much support from our society as a whole for that position. All the act did was reinforce stereotypes for both parties.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:16 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Mutiny77, Again, I'm pretty good with both my US and world history. I attempt to learn from history, not continue to repeat the same mistakes.

Obviously you feel the violence was justified due to the verbal taunts. I don't believe you'll find much support from our society as a whole for that position. All the act did was reinforce stereotypes for both parties.
I won't say it was justified, but I also won't condemn the persons involved either.

And again, if this "reinforces stereotypes" regarding Blacks for some folks, then eff 'em.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:37 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Not sure I'd want the Klan or the Black Panthers to be the ones representing my views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina