Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do the *majority* of those who stand with the Confederate flag, do so out of agnst towards certain e
Yes. The majority of those who support the Flag, do so out of angst towards certain ethnic groups. 45 46.39%
No. The majority of those who identify with the confederate flag, do so for reasons outside of race. 52 53.61%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 03:03 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times

Advertisements

I'd like to take an honest count.

There are lots of opinions surrounding flying the Confederate battle flag. But what I'd like to know, is what motivation is thought of those people who support flying the flag?

Do you think the *majority* of supporters who fly the Flag, support the Flag solely on the basis of deep seated racial hatred towards certain ethnic groups?

Or do you think the motive of the *majority* of flag supporters, support the Flag for reasons outside of race?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 07:25 PM

19 posts, read 22,062 times
I don't think the choices are fair.

It's not that simple.

You can support a racist institution that benefits you and still not consider yourself or be viewed as an individual racist.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:37 PM

396 posts, read 409,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Fresh View Post
I don't think the choices are fair.

It's not that simple.

You can support a racist institution that benefits you and still not consider yourself or be viewed as an individual racist.
Thought the same thing, but I wasn't prepared to say so. I am so tired of the entire debate.

I remember a friend of mine in college proudly supporting the Dixiecrats. She unfortunately assumed that this was simply a trendy term for a liberal Democrat from the South. When informed of its actual origins she was horrified.

Commentators here and elsewhere have made it abundantly clear that to many the battle flag is a symbol of Southern heritage and history. Unfortunately we also need to acknowledge its other associations and let it go. I am sure the many creative and industrious minds of the South can create other less divisive displays of Southern pride.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:13 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
You haven't stated your question clearly. What on earth is "angst" toward another group? Do you mean "animosity"?

Old 07-08-2015, 12:02 PM

260 posts, read 299,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
You haven't stated your question clearly. What on earth is "angst" toward another group? Do you mean "animosity"?
i agree with angst. I'm currently living in SC and i see it as angst also. Animosity maybe towards the government yes i would agree.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:44 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Angst: a feeling of deep anxiety or dread, typically an unfocused one about the human condition or the state of the world in general:

Old 07-08-2015, 02:54 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,248 times
I too dont like the choices.

Yes...some obviously are racist.

Some arent.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:59 PM

16,266 posts, read 10,395,161 times
I think this is a failed attempt by the opening poster to discredit the theory that the Confederate flag represents racism. Nobody is saying everyone who flies it is a racist, the issue is what it stood for in the past.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:40 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Thanks to all who participated in this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I think this is a failed attempt by the opening poster to discredit the theory that the Confederate flag represents racism. Nobody is saying everyone who flies it is a racist, the issue is what it stood for in the past.
I am not trying to discredit anything .

There are a lot of feelings at either end of the spectrum, and I was curious to know what people left of center, thought was the motivation of those supporting the flag.

For if those strong feelings are motivated by a sense of empathy towards Black Americans, and that which Black Americans endured, I can understand their strong feelings against the confederate battle flag.

But if those strong feelings exclude a racial component, I then wonder why people left of center treat the flag, and it's supporters, with such distrust and disgust.

I am not a native Southerner, and I don't fly the flag. But I can't help but find interesting the force with which people want to remove the confederate battle flag (or, in Charlotte NC, the removal of a confederate memorial).

Old 07-10-2015, 06:02 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Thanks to all who participated in this thread

I am not trying to discredit anything .

There are a lot of feelings at either end of the spectrum, and I was curious to know what people left of center, thought was the motivation of those supporting the flag.

For if those strong feelings are motivated by a sense of empathy towards Black Americans, and that which Black Americans endured, I can understand their strong feelings against the confederate battle flag.

But if those strong feelings exclude a racial component, I then wonder why people left of center treat the flag, and it's supporters, with such distrust and disgust.

I am not a native Southerner, and I don't fly the flag. But I can't help but find interesting the force with which people want to remove the confederate battle flag (or, in Charlotte NC, the removal of a confederate memorial).
I am what you would call left of center. Just speaking for myself I don't feel that the majority of those in support of keeping the flag at the statehouse are holding this position because of race. They feel race is a very small part of the flag, instead they fell that the flag is a symbol of their proud southern heritage. Let's face it, the people of the South are much more provincial then people in the North. People in the south consider themselves Southerners. A guy in PA does not really identify himself as a Northerner.

So the feeling from what I've read from this group of flag supporters is those in favor of taking it down are overreacting to PC pressure. They feel the flag does not represent racism as claimed, it represents Southern Pride. For me I think that is a very narrow view and selfishly dismisses the millions who are truly offended by the flag. As I said it's not so much how it's interpreted now, it's what it represented in the past. And sorry, race is a big part of that.

That is why I believe it should be taken down from statehouse grounds. Any flag that is so polarizing, and that would include flags representing Gay Pride, Pro-Choice, etc. does not belong on statehouse grounds. Now battlefields, museums, Walmart? That's another story. Removing them from those places is an overreaction IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina