Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 09:09 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,031,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemcreek View Post
Don't true BnB and hotels pay occupancy tax on top of property taxes they already pay? Aren't the property taxes that hotels and true BnB pay more than primary residences?

Yes the hotels pay more in business taxes. But to be fair, some hotels receive tax credits and other kinds of government largess that the homeowner doesn't receive. So is it really an even playing field?
And yes, I'm in favor of imposing occupancy taxes on the homeowners who rent a space more than 72 days a year. Their intent is to run a kind of hotel business so they should be treated as such. For the owner-occupied homes that rent for less than 72 days, I think it is unfair.

This is basically just another case of an incumbent industry flexing it's muscle. Air BnB capitulated on this issue because it is easier for them to simply pass the fees along to the tourists. Anyone who believes our tax code is severely weighted on the backs of small business owners and individuals should care about the principal of the matter. The fact that we all too often go along with this kind of arrangement is the problem.
"Some hotels" may receive tax credits, but it's rare. Such instances are generally for places that are trying to lure a hotel to help revitalize an area or for a hotel that is renovating a historic structure. Both of those examples are a good use of tax credits (or "government largesse," as you call it) to my mind. Here in Columbia, there are several hotels under construction, undergoing expansion, or recently completed downtown, none of which received government help to be built.

The mortgage interest tax deduction is a huge benefit to homeowners and one of the largest tax expenditures in the tax code. Although there are certainly instances where business interests use their clout at the expense of the little guy, I don't think this is a good example of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 09:47 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,353,565 times
I would grant 14 days. 72 days is way to much and I see more of a business.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:46 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,800 times
Does Air BnB issue 1099's so the income is reported? If you rent out under Air BnB can you deduct your rental expenses? Lots of questions to be answered before any new taxes are issued.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:09 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemcreek View Post
Anyone here in favor of more taxes? This one will probably get your blood boiling and the state's hotel lobby is pushing it hard.

South Carolina bills would impose taxes on Airbnb rentals - Post and Courier
I agree with it.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:48 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Am I missing something? Why on earth would you NOT expect to declare and pay taxes on rental income?

Old 08-08-2015, 06:08 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Am I missing something? Why on earth would you NOT expect to declare and pay taxes on rental income?
Valid point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina