Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2006, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 17,612 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Connecticut and I have a possible job opportunity in Beaufort, SC. I have a brother in Hilton Head and just visited Beaufort, Sc. It is a beautiful area, but seems like more of a retirement community. I am a single woman and I am looking for a place where I can meet other single people. I also don't like really hot, humid weather. How hot and humid does this area get? I don't like the real cold weather either, and I am looking for a place with more moderate temperatures. It was really hot and humid this summer in the Northeast for a few weeks and if it is like that in SC much of the time I don't think that I could stand it. Would this area be a good place for me to live? I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2006, 03:41 PM

35 posts, read 173,603 times
Unhappy Humid is an Understatement!

If humidity bothers you in the least, the coastal South is not for you. We're from New England and have traded eight months of winter, for eight months of humidity. Will move to the mountains in a couple of years.

Old 11-12-2006, 05:37 PM

41 posts, read 84,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellb View Post
I am currently living in Connecticut and I have a possible job opportunity in Beaufort, SC. I have a brother in Hilton Head and just visited Beaufort, Sc. It is a beautiful area, but seems like more of a retirement community. I am a single woman and I am looking for a place where I can meet other single people. I also don't like really hot, humid weather. How hot and humid does this area get? I don't like the real cold weather either, and I am looking for a place with more moderate temperatures. It was really hot and humid this summer in the Northeast for a few weeks and if it is like that in SC much of the time I don't think that I could stand it. Would this area be a good place for me to live? I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
M
I'm from Greenwich, CT and I can assure you that the heat and humidity is just like those few weeks you mentioned, except that it goes on for months here. The good news is, we have ways of coping and working with it. You basically go from an air conditioned home to an air conditioned car to an air conditioned job/store/whatever. It's a lifestyle adjustment. I think that CT winters are more difficult than southern summers just because we can still get in the car and go anywhere. I like to have gardens that last from May until November and we can do that here. Basically, you're just switching the months that you stay indoors. It's a big change and I suggest you live here for a month or so next summer before you decide to make the big move. I love it here.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 14,569 times
Thumbs up beautiful place

hello, I've lived in beaufort all my life and I love it! The weather is something that you can easily adapt to. Yes, this is more of a slow pace community but you will love it. There are so many single people in beaufort you will be surprise. So don't worry! Take the job........

Good Luck!

beaufort4life

Old 11-28-2007, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 17,005 times
Default relocating soon

[quote=beaufort4life;2083618]hello, I've lived in beaufort all my life and I love it! The weather is something that you can easily adapt to. Yes, this is more of a slow pace community but you will love it. There are so many single people in beaufort you will be surprise. So don't worry! Take the job........

I am considering relocating to the area this summer and I was wondering what the night life and singles scene is like down there. I'm originally from NC (finishing grad school out west now) so I'm familiar with the weather but I'm trying to get some more information on what it is like for a younger, single person to live here. I've heard that the area is predominantly an olde, retired community. Thanks for any input.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 12,460 times
I am also thinking of relocating to Beaufort, SC. I have visited Myrtle Beach several times. I'll actually be in Beaufort from April 2 thru the 15th to just look around and see what is available. I also am single, a very young 55. I currently live in the High Desert in California, no grass, lots of dirt and am tired of it. I want to be near the ocean and Beaufort sounds perfect to me!

J

Old 02-08-2011, 04:44 PM

192 posts, read 494,004 times
Cabosan, I think you will love Beaufort. One of the reasons we will retire early is so we can take advantage of all Beaufort and the surrounding area has to offer. While there make sure you stop by Hunting Island State Park.

MitchellB, yes there are a number of retirees living in the Beaufort area, not as many as HHI though. It is also a military/small college town, and very much a family community.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,970 times
I am thinking of relocating to Beaufort, i now live in San Diego Ca. What is the Hummidity like during the summer months. And how is the rain factor there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina