Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 06:55 PM

4 posts, read 2,237 times

Advertisements

I have found a truck that I want to buy and I would like to know how I can register the truck in SC (as a non-resident) so that I can drive it back to my home state. Is this something that I can do, if so, what do I need and how is it done?

Thanks to everyone that took the time to read this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 11:19 PM

6,895 posts, read 22,498,254 times
You can't register it in SC if you don't live here. The dealer can give you a temp plate that will cover you for the ride home. Once you get home waste no time going to the DMV.

If you are purchasing from a private seller you can probably drive home on the bill of sale. You can call them and they will help you!

http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/de...px?n=contactus

Last edited by myrc60; 09-09-2015 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: edited typo (reads can't)

Old 09-10-2015, 05:12 AM

114 posts, read 265,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
You can't register it in SC if you don't live here. The dealer can give you a temp plate that will cover you for the ride home. Once you get home waste no time going to the DMV.

If you are purchasing from a private seller you can probably drive home on the bill of sale. You can call them and they will help you!

http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/de...px?n=contactus

Actually, you CAN go to the DMV with a bill of sale, and purchase a temporary 30-day plate (good across interstate lines) for $20. The 30-day plate is good for 30 days from the date of purchase (on the bill of sale), so keep that timeframe in mind.

You risk being ticketed if you have only the bill of sale, and no tag whatsoever on the car. Would an officer show leeway? They might...but they might not.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:04 PM

Thank you myrc60 and yakko.

Would I need to get insurance in SC first and pay the property tax before I can get a temporary plate? Or does that only apply to getting the permanent plate? If anything I can fly into SC, buy the truck and then fly home and register the truck then fly back to SC with a plate from my home state. That would be a lot of air time but it would only cost about $500 for all 3 flights.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:50 PM

Do you have car insurance on another vehicle now? If so, it usually covers you to any vehicle you drive. Call your insurance agent to be sure.

How long is it going to take you to drive the truck home so you can go to the DMV in your home state? I don't think you can pay property tax on or register a vehicle here if you don't live here. Only thing SC DMV will do for you is issue a temp plate if you are not buying from a dealer. If your trip to your home state is going to be delayed, best get in touch with DMV where you live.

You could make this all a lot simpler by telling us if you are buying from a dealer or not.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:41 PM

I will be taking a look at 1 SUV and 2 trucks, 1 dealer and 2 private. This will probably change what vehicles I will be looking at before I go to SC though. NH does not have a minimum insurance. Other than if you are required to get an sr-22. I am about 900 miles away in New Hampshire and we can go to SC almost whenever we are ready. But we are planing on spending a week or so in SC just enjoying the state and people we meet. We are also considering moving to SC in about a year.

Sorry, I didn't realize you needed more info.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:45 PM

If you go with the dealer, you won't have much to worry about. My husband flew to Chicago to buy a car (why, I don't know) and drove it down to SC the same day. He didn't have any trouble. You are smart to buy a car down here but you might find it costs more because our cars aren't subjected to the road salt that rots cars out so they last longer.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:24 PM

I had a feeling that I would be better off getting one from a dealer for the convenience of the situation.

I like the prices I have been seeing on a lot of them. Just some with the high mileage that I had seen I thought were a bit high. I was concerned about reading that some may try and sell cars with flood water damaged from hurricanes. I would think that the odds of that happening would be low.

When I do get one and bring it up here, I will garage it for the winter so it will not see the road salt. And hopefully we will be moving to SC before it seen another winter here.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:44 AM

114 posts, read 265,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post

How long is it going to take you to drive the truck home so you can go to the DMV in your home state? I don't think you can pay property tax on or register a vehicle here if you don't live here. Only thing SC DMV will do for you is issue a temp plate if you are not buying from a dealer. If your trip to your home state is going to be delayed, best get in touch with DMV where you live.

You could make this all a lot simpler by telling us if you are buying from a dealer or not.

This is not correct.

SCDMV can sell you a 30-day plate, even if bought from an individual.

30-day temp plates are for out-of-state customers, transporting vehicles from SC to the "home" state. They are $20, and form is available at any SCDMV office. Since the form is a triplicate form, it is not available online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina