Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 12:47 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times

Advertisements

Tillman had no ties to the upstate. I believe he grew up down in Edgefield near Augusta. He lived in Columbia much of his life.

He wanted a serious agricultural school. Dr. Thomas Clemson donated his country estate for an agricultral research school, which happened to be in the upstate.

I believe Tillman was involved in the founding of Winthrop, which isn't in the upstate.

I believe if Saban has a season or two when they are mediocre, he will retire or get back into NFL. That is a good thing for college football programs in every conference. Alabama is not likely to be as good without him. He's won 5 titles in 10 or 11 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 02:13 PM

12,903 posts, read 18,756,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Tillman had no ties to the upstate. I believe he grew up down in Edgefield near Augusta. He lived in Columbia much of his life.

He wanted a serious agricultural school. Dr. Thomas Clemson donated his country estate for an agricultral research school, which happened to be in the upstate.

I believe Tillman was involved in the founding of Winthrop, which isn't in the upstate.

I believe if Saban has a season or two when they are mediocre, he will retire or get back into NFL. That is a good thing for college football programs in every conference. Alabama is not likely to be as good without him. He's won 5 titles in 10 or 11 years.
He didn't have to have ties to the Upstate to want the agricultural school established in Clemson and to want to shut down USC. Have you read the historian's text but continue to refute his account? That's your right. Muschamp's tenure will be interesting. Frank Martin's already is.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:08 PM

CU was the country estate of Dr. Clemson, who donated it to the state for a college.

The town was called Calhoun at that time, not Clemson.

I don't understand why you would think Tillman or anybody was set on a college being located in a small town of Calhoun, even if there had not been a land donation. The free land was the reason it was located there along with Dr. Clemson's desire it be an agricultural research college. Tillman asked Dr. Clemson to donate the land in his will because he knew Dr. Clemson shared his passion for agriculture research and schools. If the land was in the Charleston area, that is where the school would have been.

Is there evidence Tillman had ever been to Calhoun prior to Dr. Clemson donating his estate?

I don't think Clemson founding is linked to SC in any way. I believe Tillman was bluffing to get the Morill funding transferred to Clemson because the money was allocated for agricultural schools. The real argument was over funding.

SC is where all the kids of wealthy people went to college. There was no way it would ever be shut down.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-14-2016 at 03:21 PM..

Old 01-14-2016, 03:30 PM

I think SC basketball team has good shot of making elite 8 this year. I am surprised they were only ranked 19 despite being 15-0 before last night.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
CU was the country estate of Dr. Clemson, who donated it to the state for a college.

The town was called Calhoun at that time, not Clemson.

I don't understand why you would think Tillman or anybody was set on a college being located in a small town of Calhoun, even if there had not been a land donation. The free land was the reason it was located there along with Dr. Clemson's desire it be an agricultural research college. Tillman asked Dr. Clemson to donate the land in his will because he knew Dr. Clemson shared his passion for agriculture research and schools. If the land was in the Charleston area, that is where the school would have been.

Is there evidence Tillman had ever been to Calhoun prior to Dr. Clemson donating his estate?

I don't think Clemson founding is linked to SC in any way. I believe Tillman was bluffing to get the Morill funding transferred to Clemson because the money was allocated for agricultural schools. The real argument was over funding.

SC is where all the kids of wealthy people went to college. There was no way it would ever be shut down.
The exact location of the agricultural college Tillman wanted at the expense of USC isn't the point. No, you haven't read the historian's account. Tillman's and his cronies' point of view was that a liberal arts education for the state's aristocrats was a waste of taxpayer money. It's the principle of his campaign rhetoric, not whether or not he followed through. Like I said, like the historian said, the movement lost steam.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:37 PM

Board of Trustees Manual | Clemson University, South Carolina

'Colonel Richard Simpson, Clemson's attorney, the author of the will, executor of the estate, and first president of the Trustees, notified the State Legislature of Clemson's bequest. Opposition soon developed, including that from South Carolina College (now the University of South Carolina), which stood to lose federal funding for agricultural education if the Clemson bequest was accepted by the State Legislature. After a heated debate and floor fight, the Act of Acceptance was passed (by one vote) and signed into law by Gov. John P. Richardson on November 27, 1889.'

This seems to match up with my viewpoint on this. SC College and others almost were able to block the founding of CU, the opposite of your assertion. The issue was over that federal money for the agricultural program at SC being taken away from SC and given to CU.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:40 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
15-1 isn't bad. Gamecocks shooting was horrid last night. I'd forgotten that Bama went out and got themselves an NBA quality coach.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Board of Trustees Manual | Clemson University, South Carolina

'Colonel Richard Simpson, Clemson's attorney, the author of the will, executor of the estate, and first president of the Trustees, notified the State Legislature of Clemson's bequest. Opposition soon developed, including that from South Carolina College (now the University of South Carolina), which stood to lose federal funding for agricultural education if the Clemson bequest was accepted by the State Legislature. After a heated debate and floor fight, the Act of Acceptance was passed (by one vote) and signed into law by Gov. John P. Richardson on November 27, 1889.'

This seems to match up with my viewpoint on this. SC College and others almost were able to block the founding of CU, the opposite of your assertion. The issue was over that federal money for the agricultural program at SC being taken away from SC and given to CU.
This was after the period of politics I am talking about. I'm talking about the Tillman & cronies movement that led up to what you pasted. Just forget it.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:54 PM

We may have been talking past each other. My theory is he was bluffing about closing USC, to get them to not oppose the Morill act money being transfered to CU. But, I haven't seen a direct quote of Tillman saying that he wanted to shut down USC and why. It would make sense if he said he wanted to shut dow their agricultural program, which is the reason USC received the Morill Act money.

I agree with your first point that Columbia would be a lot different without USC.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:40 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Actually Rock Hill is the upstate or upcountry. Limiting the term to the Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson area is a more modern invention, and Rock Hill is more associated with Charlotte these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina