Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 01:31 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,981,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
They came to NC for the combination of incentives, lower cost of doing business, and the quality of the workforce; NC isn't the only state that can offer that. And the outcome of the Prop 2 vote in CA isn't even remotely the same as HB2. Like seriously, do you just throw stuff at the wall to see what will stick?
It all sticks Mutiny, you just don't want to see it that way because it doesn't fit your narritive. Make excuses all you want, but it's clearly obvious they only care about certain causes if its convenient and they can score a PR point. It's also clearly obvious they didn't care one way or the other till just recently. It's called a PR stunt and you fell for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 06:02 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,475,840 times
1 - I do think a lot of this is PR stunts on the company's side. We all know money matters, and for instance those companies that were "boycotting" Georgia just have too much money invested in the Atlanta economy and Georgia as a whole.

Especially Disney/Marvel, who have practically made Pinewood Studios their new filming home. Theyre not leaving Pinewood until Goergia stops giving those sexy incentives, like Louisiana.

Very hypocritical of these companies. Most of them still do business in other countries where gays can be executed for being gay, and the citizens be okay with it, and these companys dont know this? No company is a saint. They may try to portray that image in America, but overseas they have some shady practices. Until Paypal pulls out of every country that has literally harmful and disgusting anti-LGBT laws (and other human rights abuses), their threats are trash to me. You cant tell NC what to do, but not give Uganda or Somalia the same threat.

And I call bull on many of these other companies threatening NC, like Red Hat. You were founded in North Carolina 23 years ago and now have your own office hub in downtown Raleigh with millions invested in the Triangle area. Infrastructure, logistics, skilled jobs. Are they just going to pack up and move?...

2 - I wouldnt worry about this Lee Bright character. Apparently everyone saw this coming. Nikki wont ever sign whatever he proposes. I personally feel like she wants to go to Washington pretty bad so shes not going to do anything to jeapordize that and give her a "villain" image. That, and shes just not that crazy or hardcore. As long as the media doesnt take Brights petty proposal and blow it up to national headlines, we'll be alright and this blow over.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:25 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,761,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
1 - I do think a lot of this is PR stunts on the company's side. We all know money matters, and for instance those companies that were "boycotting" Georgia just have too much money invested in the Atlanta economy and Georgia as a whole.

Especially Disney/Marvel, who have practically made Pinewood Studios their new filming home. Theyre not leaving Pinewood until Goergia stops giving those sexy incentives, like Louisiana.

Very hypocritical of these companies. Most of them still do business in other countries where gays can be executed for being gay, and the citizens be okay with it, and these companys dont know this? No company is a saint. They may try to portray that image in America, but overseas they have some shady practices. Until Paypal pulls out of every country that has literally harmful and disgusting anti-LGBT laws (and other human rights abuses), their threats are trash to me. You cant tell NC what to do, but not give Uganda or Somalia the same threat.

And I call bull on many of these other companies threatening NC, like Red Hat. You were founded in North Carolina 23 years ago and now have your own office hub in downtown Raleigh with millions invested in the Triangle area. Infrastructure, logistics, skilled jobs. Are they just going to pack up and move?...

2 - I wouldnt worry about this Lee Bright character. Apparently everyone saw this coming. Nikki wont ever sign whatever he proposes. I personally feel like she wants to go to Washington pretty bad so shes not going to do anything to jeapordize that and give her a "villain" image. That, and shes just not that crazy or hardcore. As long as the media doesnt take Brights petty proposal and blow it up to national headlines, we'll be alright and this blow over.
I see you never ran a business before because that absolutely makes no sense. If I'm selling widgets why in the heck would stop selling widgets in NC because of this law? I will not open up a office there but I'm not going to cut into my profit and stop selling widgets.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:25 AM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 6 days ago)

5,754 posts, read 4,734,447 times
You are more likely to be in a sexual adventure in a bathroom with a Republican elected official than a transgender person.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
You are more likely to be in a sexual adventure in a bathroom with a Republican elected official than a transgender person.
And you know this how?

Old 04-07-2016, 07:12 AM

33 posts, read 26,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
That's funny, I was just thinkin' exactly the same thing. Of course, our leadership (and I use that term loosely) in Columbia has a long and illustrious history of devoting their time to issues that have no bearing whatsoever on the welfare of this state and its people. I figure it's about time for Lee Bright to crawl back out of his hole and introduce another of his self-righteous bills...
How right you were which is absolutely scary

Old 04-07-2016, 07:20 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,475,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
I see you never ran a business before because that absolutely makes no sense. If I'm selling widgets why in the heck would stop selling widgets in NC because of this law? I will not open up a office there but I'm not going to cut into my profit and stop selling widgets.
I have no idea what youre saying.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Because money talks and everything else is a PR stunt? You're just reinforcing the point not contradicting it.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:36 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,837,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
... Nikki wont ever sign whatever he proposes. I personally feel like she wants to go to Washington pretty bad so shes not going to do anything to jeapordize that and give her a "villain" image. That, and shes just not that crazy or hardcore.
The only reason Mz Nikki won't sign it is that she is in total lockstep with whatever big bizzness tells her to do. Sometimes that's good, sometimes that's bad. In this case, it's a blessing...

Old 04-07-2016, 08:43 AM

33 posts, read 26,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
The only reason Mz Nikki won't sign it is that she is in total lockstep with whatever big bizzness tells her to do. Sometimes that's good, sometimes that's bad. In this case, it's a blessing...
Thank God she is. You would think the good folks of SC would want jobs here but people like this idiot Lee guy, it's hard to tell. That may be one reason why Spartanburg remains stagnant as far as economic growth goes considering it's so close to Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina