U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 13,412 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving my family all the way across the United States to Greenwood,SC. My husband has been offered an excellent employment opportunity. I have 3 kids, ages 7,15, and 17. I would love some feedback on crime, the area and the surroundings. What is there for kids to do? How much crime is in the area? Where are the best areas to live? Are there many employment opportunities in the area or even surrounding areas.
We are moving from an area that has a terrible economy, high cost of living and very limited job opportunities. The posts and info that I read on Greenwood is extremely mixed. I would like to hear from the people that really know the area or surroundings. I don't want to go to an area that isn't the right choice for my family...nor do I want to pass up a good opportunity. The people I have talked to from the area seem to be very nice.
Thank you for taking the time to respond to me!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 05:42 PM

12 posts, read 39,880 times
i have a few friends from there..the ones I know best are Holley and Brittany, 19 and 21, and JD, 20. All the girls I know from there seem to hate it and all the guys I know seem to love it. Holley and Brittany absolutely hate it there.

But I've been there quite a few times and I like it down there it's a nice part of South Carolina if you ask me.

That's really all I have to contribute :-)

Old 02-28-2008, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 10,940 times
Default Greenwood

I'm a United Methodist Pastor in Greenwood and have lived here for almost two years. For the most part we love it here. The people are great. Crime is not bad, although there are occasional happenings. I have two daughters in two different schools and I've been pleased with both schools. Greenwood High School is big, but the administration is very personable. Emerald High School is not as big as Greenwood. I don't know as much about it. Ninety Six is about 10 miles east of Greenwood and has a great small town atmosphere. The High School there is really great. Small, and very little nonsense going on. Greenwood offers a good variety of restaruants and fast food. We just opened up our first Starbucks so we feel we are on the map now. Of course, I know a great church that would love to have new members. Good luck on making you decision!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:27 PM

7 posts, read 32,584 times
Smile Greenwood Information

I was raised in Greenwood and can tell you its limited. There never has been alot for kids to do. They have a fairly new bowling alley. Their skating rink has to be 40 years old by the way it looks. They have just recently started putting parks in the city. When my kids were little they had one. It was at the civic center. The civic center is too small for any major events so you will have to drive to Columbia or Greenville for concerts, shows, etc. The mall is also limited. Not much to offer there. But they do have a strip mall up from the mall that has stores like Old Navy and such. The people there are great. You won't find nicer people anywhere I don't believe. (I moved away from there several years ago but still go there at least once a year to see friends and family.) I have lived all over this country and haven't met any nicer. So as long as you go in with a good attitude you will be welcomed. Some of the nicer homes are over around Greenwood High School and also on the Old Abbeville Highway. I hope this helps

Old 03-06-2008, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 10,899 times
Thumbs up that's not a bad idea...

Greenwood has a couple of (2, I believe) high schools, and is a small quaint town with big personality. While it doesn't have all the big city lifestyle, it's the "charm" and warm, friendly folks that make this a great place. They have annual parades, festivals, and events. Below I included the link that I use to keep up with what's new and upcoming...

[url=http://www.uptowngreenwood.com/Default.aspx]Welcome to Uptown Greenwood[/url]

They also have a skating rink and a bowling center that includes batting cages and miniature golf. They've also included "mini" lanes to aid in the fun for the wee ones. Greenwood is located in the "bible-belt" along with the rest of SC, so be aware that shops and local stores don't open their doors on Sunday until about 1:30pm and no beer sales on Sunday at all. (If you want it, it must be purchased on Saturday before midnight). There are a lot of churches in Greenwood and plays a major part of the social life you may have in Greenwood. I don't live in fantasy land, so there is some crime, however it's not bad and you can safely walk down the street. There is one university (Lander) and one technical college (Piedmont Tech). As far as banks are concerned, we have two major banks (Bank of America and Wachovia), then we have several local branches if you prefer a "down-home" experience...and no, they won't take your money and bury in the back yard. LOL! There is also a local hospital which has grown to a very nice size that includes, Heart Center, Women’s Center, Cancer Center, Rehabilitation Center (offering stroke, cardiac, and pulmonary rehabilitation), Vascular Center, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, and neurosurgery, neurology, gastrointestinal and orthopedic services. I work there, so I'm very proud to be an employee there! All in all, I love Greenwood if you couldn't tell and my daughter loves it here too. (She is ten years old). It's been our home all of her life and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else!

Old 03-12-2008, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 10,856 times
Default sally

I moved to Greenwood about 2 years ago, for my husband's job opportunity. I moved from a very liberal small town in the mountains of Colorado, and it has been a SHOCK! Uber-conservative & religous, and at odds with what to do about all of these "new-comers". You have to search to find fun to have, but it can be found. There is a core group of people trying to bring some culture to town, and it is slowly working. There is a renovated theater in town, with some first rate productions, and a new arts center. There are a few unique resturants & in the summer there are good free concerts downtown each week. There are also lots of festivals during the good weather, which is 9 months a year. If you are a church attendee, you will have no problem making friends and connections. If not, that can be a problem ( as I have found out) The schools are a problem, most anyone who can afford private send their kids there. Hopefully the school situation is going to improve, there are plans to build many new ones. Lander is a great university. There are lots of very nice neighborhoods, any where from brand-new to old and well established. Property values are very affordable everywhere. The "Old Greenwood Villiage" neighborhood has recently been desiginated as a national historic area, so now's the time to buy in there before the values go up as predicted. All in all, I would rather live some place more lively, (like Greenville) or with more "liberal" culture, but this is OK for now. I would be really depressed to think that I was going to live here permanently. There's not enough of what I want my baby girl exposed to here, and a little too much of what I don't want.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 10,803 times
Thumbs up Greenwood isn't so bad

I moved to Greenwood when I was 10 years old. I lived in a middle class neighborhood down Highway 10. I had a wonderful childhood here. I graduated from Emerald High School, and had great teachers and got a full ride to Anderson University. Greenwood High is a good school, but it much larger than Emerald. There are 3 good middle schools and a million elementary schools. I think we have a restaurant every block. I wasn't very fond of the town as a teenager, simply because there aren't clubs and places like that that young people want to go. But this place is safe for the most part. I have never felt unsafe going anywhere alone. Being a 21 year old female. I even moved BACK here because I missed it so much. It is true that we are in the bible belt, and there are plenty of churches to go to, as well as activites that your kids can do. We have a decent movie theater, lots of artsy things downtown, a so called mall, (Greenville or Columbia is just an hour away which have much better malls) a bowling ally, a skating rink. This place has a lot of growing to do. 96 is about 15 minutes away. It is a super small town and has great schools there too. Greenwood sits in the middle of everything. I am a riding instructor, (horseback riding) and I am about to build a third barn in this area. There are many dance academies, music places, and TONS of sports opportunities. We have a YMCA that is completely supportive of our youth, and I would say as a native of almost 12 years here, I would reccomend Greenwood to just about anyone. AND Lander University, which has one of the best Education and Nursing programs in the Country is here. I will be a graduate of Lander in a year. You can make Greenwood as fun or as boring as you want, it all depends on you and your family. GOOD LUCK

Old 03-28-2008, 08:34 AM

221 posts, read 994,532 times
I grew up in near by Abbeville. I suppose your outlook on Greenwood is all about perspective. If Greenwood is "small" Abbeville is TINY. Everybody in Abbeville goes to Greenwood to do much of anything; shopping, eating out, going to movies, etc.

I agree with the sentiments of most of these folks. The people in this part of the world are very friendly. The cost of living is among the lowest in the nation. Say 200k gets you a 1600 sq ft 3 Br/2 ba house in a lesser neighborhood in a big city. The same 200k in Greenwood (an outlying neighborhood) would get you a 3000 sq ft 4 Br / 2.5 Ba on 3 acres of land. You'll enjoy the house that you can afford in this part of the country.

Churches in the South are more than just a religious institution. They are very much the social centers of the south. If your neighbor invites you to church with them it isn't as much trying to convert you, but inviting you to participate in their social circle.

As for things to do for kids, you can't find everything in Greenwood, but there are alot of things there. There are places to take dance, gymnastics, karate, etc. There are several Boy Scout Troops in the area, and plenty of land to camp on. There are several lakes around the area (lake Greenwood, Secession, Russel, Hartwell, Etc.). If you bought a boat/jet ski you'd have something to do about 9 months or so out of the year.

There is more and more shopping coming to Greenwood. I moved to college in 2000, and they've built a major shopping district on Hwy 72 in the last 8 years. There's a new 7-8 screen movie theater, Old Navy, Walmart, Lowes, and dozens of other strip mall type shops. They've also redone the mall, which had been sliding, but is on the way up now. They have a Belk and JC Penny among others like Bath and Body Works. If you can't find it in Greenwood, you're only 45 mins or so from Anderson and 60 mins or so from Greenville.

There are a fair amount of concerts that come through Greenwood at the Greenwood Civic Center, or on the campus of Lander. Most of the bands coming through would be smaller, but the smaller venues provide for a much more intimate concert experience.

I'd recommend visiting if you have the chance before making your decision. Greenwood is a great place, but I can see how some people wouldn't be happy in a place that "small".

Old 03-30-2008, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 10,772 times
Default moving to Greenwood, SC

Have you moved yet? We are moving to McCormick, SC & Greenwood will be our "big" city

Can you give me any feedback?

Thanks,

Kathy

Old 04-06-2008, 02:09 PM

947 posts, read 3,464,867 times
I've worked/lived in Abbeville for 18 months and I like it!.

If you don't mind a short commute, I would reccomend Abbeville for you to live in. It's a bit cheaper to live and everything you need is right here, except Walmart.

That being said, I've never met an unfriendly person in Abbeville or Greenwood. The biggest key to making friends in a new area is always smiling, being polite and never say, "We did things this way back home...". Always seem interested in what the people in your new town have to say and ask them what there is to do.

I think you'd like Abbeville or Greenwood. You're not that incredibly far from Augusta or Greenville if you need a little more culuture or need to get something Greenwood doesn't have.

And when you want to get away for a weekend, you're only 3 hours from Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina