Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 10:14 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
I also heard before I-95 was built that each state could pick where the road entered and exited their state, and good Ole Thurman had some land that he wanted to unload.
Sounds like an urban legend. I noticed NC’s portion of 95 doesn’t go through anything either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 12:23 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Sounds like an urban legend. I noticed NC’s portion of 95 doesn’t go through anything either.
I-95 doesn't even go through a metro of at least half a million between Jacksonville and Richmond-Petersburg.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:14 PM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I-95 doesn't even go through a metro of at least half a million between Jacksonville and Richmond-Petersburg.
The 95 stretch of NC is their equivalent to the stretch in SC though both stretches are not comparable side by side. Fayetteville Rocky Mount and Wilson are not slums or podunk towns but are not as well developed as wilmington in the coastal region or the cities in the I 85 corridor in the center of the state . That is very similar to SC. Though no one would argue that they are performing better than Dillon Manning Sumter Summerton Walterboro Yemassee and Ridgeland on the SC stretch. Florence which is the best and largest city in the state on that corridor is not even on par with Fayetteville but is with Rocky Mount and Wilson

The other school of thought is that 95 was run through those areas in hopes to jump start their economies. It may have worked in a handful of areas with manufacturing plants followed by Distribution Centers opening here and there. But many have now closed and more people are likely employed at truck stops motels and BBQ joints than at industries at least in SC

Old 01-10-2018, 02:30 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
The 95 stretch of NC is their equivalent to the stretch in SC though both stretches are not comparable side by side. Fayetteville Rocky Mount and Wilson are not slums or podunk towns but are not as well developed as wilmington in the coastal region or the cities in the I 85 corridor in the center of the state . That is very similar to SC. Though no one would argue that they are performing better than Dillon Manning Sumter Summerton Walterboro Yemassee and Ridgeland on the SC stretch. Florence which is the best and largest city in the state on that corridor is not even on par with Fayetteville but is with Rocky Mount and Wilson

The other school of thought is that 95 was run through those areas in hopes to jump start their economies. It may have worked in a handful of areas with manufacturing plants followed by Distribution Centers opening here and there. But many have now closed and more people are likely employed at truck stops motels and BBQ joints than at industries at least in SC
I always thought it was just the cheapest place to stick an interstate. Any closer to the coast and they would have to build a bridge every few miles. The coastal land between Jacksonville and Richmond is a bunch of sea islands, capes, and massive tidal marshes.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:51 AM

235 posts, read 528,370 times
I-26 definitely should get expanded before 95. If anything, that 4 billion dollars should go to extending I-20 from Florence to Myrtle Beach and scrapping that I-73 plan which would be another waste of money.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico020 View Post
I-26 definitely should get expanded before 95. If anything, that 4 billion dollars should go to extending I-20 from Florence to Myrtle Beach and scrapping that I-73 plan which would be another waste of money.
Agreed. People from Ohio and Michigan can still get to MB using I 77 to I 20 or I 74 to I 95 to I 20. I 20 is the link and connects MB to Georgia Alabama and even Tennessee via I 26. Not to mention it would be an additional boost to the Pee Dee

Old 01-10-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I always thought it was just the cheapest place to stick an interstate. Any closer to the coast and they would have to build a bridge every few miles. The coastal land between Jacksonville and Richmond is a bunch of sea islands, capes, and massive tidal marshes.
Not to mention environmentalists would go crazy building in these areas because of the potential impact to wildlife and those natural areas that you referenced. It would be tied up in court for decades

Old 01-10-2018, 09:59 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
The 95 stretch of NC is their equivalent to the stretch in SC though both stretches are not comparable side by side. Fayetteville Rocky Mount and Wilson are not slums or podunk towns
Fayetteville isn't the prettiest town by any stretch.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:27 AM

873 posts, read 1,017,154 times
The good news is that North Carolina plans to widening Interstate 95 to eight lanes between Exit 22 and Exit 40 in Cumberland and Robeson counties and between Exit 71 and Exit 81 in Harnett and Johnston counties (81 is where the I-40 interchange occurs). The bad news is the funding (not constructing, mind you) for the former will not happen until after 2027, and construction for the latter is scheduled to begin in 2026. Maybe South Caroline will have something in place by these times around the Georgia border through Exit 33 (where U.S. 17 heads off to Charleston as does a good chunk of traffic) and/or between Exit 86 (the I-26 interchange) through at least Exit 77, where it can be pretty heavy as well. As a resident of North Carolina who uses I-95 occasionally, one can only dream right now about these needed improvements in the Carolinas.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/...s.aspx?r=14009

Old 01-15-2018, 05:28 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,958,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
The good news is that North Carolina plans to widening Interstate 95 to eight lanes between Exit 22 and Exit 40 in Cumberland and Robeson counties and between Exit 71 and Exit 81 in Harnett and Johnston counties (81 is where the I-40 interchange occurs). The bad news is the funding (not constructing, mind you) for the former will not happen until after 2027, and construction for the latter is scheduled to begin in 2026. Maybe South Caroline will have something in place by these times around the Georgia border through Exit 33 (where U.S. 17 heads off to Charleston as does a good chunk of traffic) and/or between Exit 86 (the I-26 interchange) through at least Exit 77, where it can be pretty heavy as well. As a resident of North Carolina who uses I-95 occasionally, one can only dream right now about these needed improvements in the Carolinas.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/...s.aspx?r=14009
I can sort of see SC widening I-95 from the NC border to Florence and then doing something with Highway 52 once the inland port is finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina