Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2018, 04:26 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,394,692 times

Advertisements

I came across this article with historic pictures of the old bridge near Clemson that was submerged in Lake Hartwell when it was created. It would have been cool if they had relocated the bridge to a location on campus, perhaps over the old Seneca River riverbed around the athletic facilities.

https://medium.com/@TigerPreGame/may...y-bedcdcade3c4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 08:52 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,210,913 times
Come on CV, those rusty ole truss bridges were never pretty.The only places they still exist is where it was not REQUIRED that they be taken down.There is one just like that rusting away over the Saluda River in northern Anderson County just off hwy 81.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:32 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Memorial Bridge was replaced by a two-lane bridge southward. That bridge must be the westbound South Carolina Highway 93 bridge today as the road has been widened and another bridge built.

Does anyone know when the Tiger Boulevard bridge across Seneca River was built and opened?

Old 01-05-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
Come on CV, those rusty ole truss bridges were never pretty.The only places they still exist is where it was not REQUIRED that they be taken down.There is one just like that rusting away over the Saluda River in northern Anderson County just off hwy 81.
They don't get rusty if they are taken care of with paint and/or other anti-corrosion coatings.

The one off 81 has been abandoned for a long time.

I never said anything about it being pretty.

There are not many truss bridges left in SC. There are 3 or 4 that still see a good bit of traffic across the intracoastal waterway and they are not rusty.

Here is one in Corvallis Oregon near Oregon State University, crossing the Willamette River. https://www.google.com/maps/@44.5654...7i13312!8i6656 There's no rust. I think that is pretty cool.

Here is another one on Mary's River in Corvallis. It looks similar the one submerged in the lake at Clemson but the Clemson one probably had a longer span.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.5559...7i13312!8i6656

I had to work a lot of truss problems in my statics class at Clemson so perhaps I have a special fondness for truss bridges.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-05-2018 at 03:03 PM..

Old 01-05-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Memorial Bridge was replaced by a two-lane bridge southward. That bridge must be the westbound South Carolina Highway 93 bridge today as the road has been widened and another bridge built.

Does anyone know when the Tiger Boulevard bridge across Seneca River was built and opened?
According to the Clemson Wiki, the Tiger Blvd / Highway 123 bridge was built in the early 1960's. It was originally called the 123 Bypass, with 93 / Old Greenville Highway being designated as 123.

It is interesting that 93, the former 123, that runs right by Clemson's campus used to be part of the main highway from Greenville to Atlanta. It would be crazy if all that thru traffic on 123 was still coming through the campus area.

I guess the Esso Club in Clemson would still be selling gas if Tiger Blvd and bridge had not been built.

https://www.clemsonwiki.com/wiki/SC_93

Old 01-05-2018, 08:26 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
South Carolina Highway 93 in Pickens and Oconee counties was originally United States Route 123. In Clemson, it also carried United States Route 76 and South Carolina Highway 28.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:58 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,290,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
According to the Clemson Wiki, the Tiger Blvd / Highway 123 bridge was built in the early 1960's. It was originally called the 123 Bypass, with 93 / Old Greenville Highway being designated as 123.

It is interesting that 93, the former 123, that runs right by Clemson's campus used to be part of the main highway from Greenville to Atlanta. It would be crazy if all that thru traffic on 123 was still coming through the campus area.

I guess the Esso Club in Clemson would still be selling gas if Tiger Blvd and bridge had not been built.

https://www.clemsonwiki.com/wiki/SC_93
My grandfather sold a lot of gas when he owned that station in the 1940s. My grandmother ran the lunch counter. They had the only alcohol permit in the area (professors from up north nicknamed it the "Esso Club" since it was the only place they could buy a beer). He sold the business after a few years and went to work for Clemson, retiring after many years of working at the "p plant". He often joked that his home was the house that beer built. Sadly, my grandparents' home was sold and torn down to build condominiums. All that is left is some of the mature oak trees that had been in the yard.

The Esso club webpage has a history of the club but quite a bit of it is inaccurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina