Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 08:58 PM

12 posts, read 65,190 times

Advertisements

Our experience with modular homes was 18 years ago. It was pretty shoddy. I would rather live in a modular home than a tent, but I would most definately want it anchored very well to the ground! I HOPE things have change immensely since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2006, 04:06 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,686,508 times
The only thing good about a modular/mobile home is the salesman. I think you would do better to buy a tent and pitch in the middle of an interstate.
IMO, do everything you can to buy a solid stick built house.
Don

Old 08-07-2006, 09:28 PM

5 posts, read 30,782 times
Red face Modulars

Our modular home has withstood four hurricanes and five grandchildren on the coast of NC.On a brick foundation,and build with sheetrock walls inside,you can't tell a modular from stickbuild homes.Also,some companies will change some things in the floorplan for you.Ours was updated to wider doorways and lower cabinets to make things easier for me since I am disabled.I'm very satisfied with mine.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:41 PM

9 posts, read 52,670 times
It seems that there is confusion on what modular homes are. They are not mobile homes or manufactured homes. A manufactured home is built in a factory, but its set on a steel frame that is covered with bricks or blocks and could be made as 'double-wide'. A modular home is built in a factory to stringent regulations and can be many different sizes. They are as strong or stronger than a stick built home and they are set and bolted to a cement foundation. Often you can go to a factory to see exactly how a modular home is built, and there are some good websites for modular homes that explain all of this. We were hesitant about looking into modular homes also but after research we found that we can have a modular home built to almost any specification or size. Check out the homes built by Nationwide or R-Anell. There are many others that are available, but these are two of the better ones. My son just bought a modular home and had it delivered to his property in NC. The house was put together with strong bolts and the walls between the sections are about 9" thick. There were a few minor problems, such as some of the tiles in the bathroom not matching, but they were replaced immediately. The kitchen countertop had a seam in it about 12" from the end, and my son had it replaced. The carpet was the wrong color, and that was replaced. There were a few costs he didn't anticipate, but overall the transaction went well and he has a lovely home. He opted to put in his own heat and a/c since he is in that line of work, and he had the foundation walls.....which are cement block....made 42" high so he can work under the house in relative comfort if anything needs to be done with plumbing, etc. in the future. The house has an unfinished upstairs and he is presently in the process of wiring it and finishing it for a playroom, spare room and office. He bought his home from Nationwide and is very pleased with it. Their specifications for a modular home require that it withstand high winds just the same as a stick-built home. The mobile homes and manufactured homes don't have that requirement. My husband and I are looking into getting a modular home ourselves once we decide on a place to retire. Incidentally, did you know that Thomas Jefferson had a modular home? It was built in a factory in New England and the parts were shipped to Ft. Meyers, FL on schooners. That was probably the first modular home, and its still standing. If you need a web-site, contact me and I'll be happy to provide the info.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:55 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,195,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprillia
It seems that there is confusion on what modular homes are. They are not mobile homes or manufactured homes. A manufactured home is built in a factory, but its set on a steel frame that is covered with bricks or blocks and could be made as 'double-wide'. A modular home is built in a factory to stringent regulations and can be many different sizes. They are as strong or stronger than a stick built home and they are set and bolted to a cement foundation. Often you can go to a factory to see exactly how a modular home is built, and there are some good websites for modular homes that explain all of this....
True. If you go to This Old House's web site and look for the show where they rebuilt a new home incorporating part of an old barn they used prefab sides. These had 1/2 strand board or OSB sandwiched between 6" of foam. Strong, bug resistant, fire retardant, energy efficient.

Building technology and products have come a long long way in recent years. They are doing and making some incredible products. I still prefer to build my own home because I know what going into it, how it's done, etc.

Mark

Old 08-09-2006, 07:48 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,224,652 times
There is an awesome modular here in Aiken. It belongs to William "the Refridgerator" Perry's ex wife. The thing looks like a gothic mansion, and cost several million dollars to construct. I think it is 8 times the size of my house. Realtors love to drive newbies past it when they are showing people around town. I think like anything, you get what you pay for. If you are looking for a bargain you most likely will get one.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:59 PM

57 posts, read 337,144 times
Default stay away from CLAYTON HOMES

Thanks everyone for replying to my post!!!

Since my post I have found that Clayton homes is not a REPUTABLE company - Stay away from them. Im fortunate enough to have realized it before it was too late.

Clayton Homes forged my name and my mothers name to a sales agreement, we were told conflicting stories every time we spoke to them, and they tend to pull permits and begin work without your permission.... I BELEIVE THIS IS AN ATTEMPT TO TAKE YOUR HOME AND LAND IN THE END. Their sales people and managers will do anything to make money.

Other incidents have taken place as well, which I will not mention at this time, as I may be forced to take legal action.

We are going with another company and we are pleased with their service.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:41 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,195,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilaramos
Thanks everyone for replying to my post!!!

Since my post I have found that Clayton homes is not a REPUTABLE company - Stay away from them. Im fortunate enough to have realized it before it was too late.

Clayton Homes forged my name and my mothers name to a sales agreement, we were told conflicting stories every time we spoke to them, and they tend to pull permits and begin work without your permission.... I BELEIVE THIS IS AN ATTEMPT TO TAKE YOUR HOME AND LAND IN THE END. Their sales people and managers will do anything to make money.

Other incidents have taken place as well, which I will not mention at this time, as I may be forced to take legal action.

We are going with another company and we are pleased with their service.
That's awful, I hope everything works out for you and your family. Will be praying for it to be so

Mark

Old 08-12-2006, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 15,080 times
Modular homes/Doublewides it all depends on who the manufacture is and what your goals and life style are. Modular homes/Doublewides are great if you are your own person and are not trying to keep up with the "Jones". You can get into Modular homes/Doublewides for up to 1/2 the cost of a stick built home. Imagine being able to actually do things with your family since your monthly mortgage will be half of that of a stick built home. With all that said if $$ are not and issue site built homes do retain there value better.
The manufacture is the key to getting good Modular homes/Doublewides. There are several sites that rate the manufactures. I currently own 2 Fleetwood Doublewides, my family lives in one and my mother in law lives in the other. I would be the 1st to say I would have preferred Fleetwood to have done something’s in the home better, but overall both homes have stood up well and Fleetwood has stood behind their product. Both homes came with a 1/5 warranty one year full coverage and 5 year structural warranty. That is better than most site built homes. We have used the 1 year full warranty on both homes for minor things to include damage caused by the movers with no questions asked. The one home 12 years old and is structurally as sound as it was the day they set it up. We have had to maintain the home as with any home. If time is not a big issue order your home instead of taking one off the lot. You will be much more pleased with your home. In my option these are some of the good manufactures:
• Fleetwood
• Mascot
• Oakwood

Old 08-23-2006, 09:31 PM

9 posts, read 52,670 times
Default modular/doublewide

A modular home is not a doublewide and using modular/doublewide is misleading. A doublewide is either a mobile home or a manufactured home. I've seen some manufacturers....including Clayton Homes....using the word modular in their advertisements. Its true that the word modular can be loosely applied to a doublewide that is two single wides placed together, but a true modular home is of much better and stronger quality. The homes that were previously described may be very nicely constructed and it is obvious that the owner is pleased with his home, but as I said before, a true modular home is bolted to a cement foundation and is usually several different modules placed together to form a 1, 2 or even 3 story house. It is delivered in modules that will then be attached by bolts. The roof is separate and is put on the home the same as on a stick built house, then is shingled. The siding is often completed on the site. I think when you are looking for a home, its a good idea to know exactly what kind of home you are requesting. I was looking at a beautiful home in Seneca the other day and when I asked the well-established realtor if it was a modular or stick-built, he was insulted that I asked. Apparently he isn't aware of the difference either. :-) We've found a floor plan we like, now we have to get a property we like and find the modular home builder who can provide us with the house with the floor plan closest to what we want. We are looking at R-Anell Homes right now but there are several others that may be similar in quality and workmanship. Good luck in finding the home you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina