Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 5,177 times

Advertisements

We bought a Schult home that is a subsidiary of Clayton and all I can say is what a load of ...problems. Once they get the $$$ then you get little or now customer care and everything is your problem. If they make mistakes on your order then their excuse is well that is why we say check everything before you order. The trouble is it is not spelt out so you don't know until the house is done that you got the wrong door or windows. Then it is your problem. And don't ask for itemized price list of options etc because they don't have one. We are getting the run around/ brushoff from the dealer, factory and Clayton. Please learn from our troubles and hire a local builder and check things carefully as they go along to make sure you will be happy. We ordered our house 9 months ago, paid in full 6 months ago and still are waiting for them to fix what little they will so we can move in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,982 times
Angry Never Never again modular

I bought a 2,000 ft modular from a very well known modular company in Madison, CT. I allowed them to pick the setting crew and buttoning up crew which were one and the same. They made me believe they had good quality craftsmen. Not so. The worst thing was that the Modular company was being paid to oversee the contractors to the tune of 17,000. They were almost never on site overseeing anything. I was there all the time and could see the buttoning up crew was doing a lousy job. The garage was framed too big for the overhead doors. The roof is all wrong. There are humps where the units are attached. The contractors had put the beams or trusses the wrong way and I have the 2 humps and a dip in the porch. The siding was just thrown on and is already falling off. The outside overhang soffit on one side of the house was put on crooked and runs in the wrong direction. The gutters all leak. Green lumber was used throughout the house. 2 doors don't close properly. The carpet came with a bad pad and it squeaks like hell when you walk on it like bubble wrap. The interior sheet rock was done lousy. I see ripples on the ceiling when eating dinner in the main room. The walls up the staircase are not smooth at all. I have a shower basin in the master bedroom that was put in crooked and not flush with the wall so the tile fell off at the base and I have not been able to use the shower at all. You see, with a modular you pay up front and really have no recourse if things don't work out except going to a lawyer. Furthermore in the factories they throw the houses together in four or five days so the quality is crap. I am in my house less than a year and see cracks and pop out nails all over the place developing. I am involved in lawsuits over this. You don't want the same. Don't go modular.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:43 AM

459 posts, read 1,641,845 times
My parents decided to pruchase a modular home to replace the vacation home lost to fire. 1800 sq ft ranch style home, lots of room, no problems. Unlike the previous poster, the setup crew was marvelous. The foundation work was completed ahead of schedule and exceeded county code requirements. All finish work was accomplished in a timely manner and punch list items were handled quickly. They asked around to other local purchasers of modulars before buying. Instead of dealing with a setup crew in Charleston, they chose to deal with one out of Columbia based on recommendations recieved.
I plan on purchasing a home in the near future from R-Anell. They have a stellar reputation in the modular business. If you have any feedback to the contrary about R-Anell, I'd like to hear it. I think a great deal depends on the on-site guys as to what you get for a finished product. That is where my research will be centered now.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:21 AM

77 posts, read 287,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I love that wind rating! That's one reason to have a modular in an area that is hurricane prone for sure.

Now I have a new wrinkle to add to the conversation...I only recently discovered another type of modular home - the LOG CABIN modular home! Anyone know anything about these homes?
Um... you can have a traditionally built home designed and built to the saem standards.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:03 PM

83 posts, read 276,321 times
"Um... you can have a traditionally built home designed and built to the saem standards."

You can have a traditionally built home that greatly exceeds those standards. If I were building new I'd go with an ICF (Insulated Concrete Form) or modern structural steel house with a modern metal roof.

Wood is flammable termite food.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:34 PM

77 posts, read 287,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rophlmao View Post
"Um... you can have a traditionally built home designed and built to the saem standards."

You can have a traditionally built home that greatly exceeds those standards. If I were building new I'd go with an ICF (Insulated Concrete Form) or modern structural steel house with a modern metal roof.

Wood is flammable termite food.
I know.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:38 AM

2 posts, read 6,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Good advice, Opie! We plan to buy land and I will build my own home. I've done it several times you can save a ton of money. For some of these cookie cutter goofy looking homes that they are asking $300-450,000 I can build it for about $150,000 for a 2000 sq. ft. home. I'm not a contractor but I have been owner/builder.

I would be willing to help anyone build there home. It's not that diffacult, and in SC the permits and fee are very reasonable.

Thanks

Mark
Hello Mark, although your original post was a few years ago, I am hoping that your offer to show how to build your home still stands. My husband , and I were looking to relocate and we have been searching for a well over a year now, and felt that our only options were a double wide, or a modular. We had little faith in neither of the two. While researching homes, and lpcations we came across your blog, and thought.... could this be the answer to our prayers? We need to relocate for health reasons, and could use any advice that you could offer on having your home built. Any information that you would be able to give us would be greatly appreciated
Thank You Sincerely,
Destiny Truth

Old 05-07-2009, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 15,902 times
Try SupremeModular in NJ, they offer great homes.
Modular Homes NJ

Old 05-07-2009, 11:02 AM

3 posts, read 15,902 times
Default Forgot the URL

www.suprememodular.com

Old 05-12-2009, 09:41 PM

142 posts, read 279,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturne View Post
Our home (a $98,000 manufacured home) came from Clayton in Rock Hill. We're currently involved in a lawsuit with the company. (Clayton Homes Ordeal) I would advise caution. Good luck.

great post. important stuff to know. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina