Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 10:48 AM

57 posts, read 337,180 times

Advertisements

....My husband and I have been looking into purchasing a MODULAR / PRE-FABRICATED HOME.... from a dealer in rock hill south carolina (clayton homes).

Has anyone had any experiences with the purchasing of a modular home and/or experiences with the dealers good or bad that they could share or things we should watch for.

What about quality of the homes? Do they stand up to normal wear and tear?

I have heard some horror stories with regard to them being set up and put together and was wondering about anyone else's experiences.

Last edited by sheilaramos; 05-02-2006 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2006, 04:45 PM

291 posts, read 1,781,765 times
I am wondering the same.

Old 05-05-2006, 07:53 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,517,696 times
I would think you're probably safe with a modular home from a reputable dealer such as Clayton. But there'll always be lemons, I would guess.

Joe H.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:53 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,244 times
Not too long ago I stayed in a modular home up in Clemson. It was huge, 2 stories, 5 bedrooms, brand new. At first glance, it looked unbelievably nice, especially for college students. The girls that lived there called it the "Lego House". The walls were thin, the balconies wobbled. I think you could've gotten a running start and run right through the kitchen wall into the front yard. While we were there (2 days), the rails on two different balconies snapped off. The girls laughed it off, "Well, that figures!". Essentially, it felt exactly like a mobile home, it just looked like a really nice house.

I'm not saying that all modular homes are this way (I don't know), but the few experiences I've had with modular homes have all been negative. I agree with Mr. Modular, it is a big decision. And I wouldn't want to be in a modular home with a hurricane on the way.

Last edited by anonymous; 06-12-2006 at 10:55 AM..

Old 06-15-2006, 07:55 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,822 times
i feel that modular homes have improved over the last ten years, they are built in a factory where each home has inspectors present rather than driving from site to site. they are squared up to spec. which can be overlooked in stick homes. you have good builders of modular homes as well as bad builders. in my honest opinion clayton builds one of the best , they use stonger boards Ie 2x6 instead of 2x4 etc. i dont sell build or live in a modular home but i try to keep up do to retirement is creeping up on me and i would like to get lakefront property and place a "trailer" on the property, what i want is far from a trailer but the stigma is there!

Old 06-15-2006, 03:54 PM

14 posts, read 134,389 times
Default mod homes

I live in a double-wide modular home. I don't think it counts as a trailer since it is ona brick foundation. I personally would not go with Clayton. They like to run your credit without your full knowledge and authorization and then make it hard for you to go with another dealer (this happened to me). I love my home and its location, but my main complaint is that the walls are thin and it is a little ahrd to cool in the summer since we have little shade in our yard.

Just be careful with the dealer you go with. They are going to try to give you the minimum so they make more profit from the deal. When I made my deal, they forgot to put my fireplace in. I complained and they gave me an entertainment center, coffee table, and end-tables. Not a fireplace, but in the long run that worked out better anyway ;-)

Old 06-18-2006, 02:07 PM

22 posts, read 95,525 times
Want to say thanks to Mr. T. White for your post... some time ago, I was introduced to a website for something called a "wee house". It's also prefab/modular and I wonder whether you have any thoughts on how they compare to the modular homes you sell in Lancaster?

I've never seen one, but their website is pretty interesting

removed

I'm still about 15 years from retirement but feel that a modular home will be a good alternative to finding something affordable on a piece of property that I actually like.

Best to all,
Margie

Last edited by Yac; 06-19-2006 at 04:06 AM..

Old 06-29-2006, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 32,546 times
Think long and hard before buying from Clayton Homes.My wife and I bought a "Freedom" model double wide from the dealer in crestview Florida.Our problems started from the first day when they were setting the home up and still is on-going.We have had the dealer and the manufacturer in Waycross Gacome and attempt to fix the problems.Some of the problems are the walls in the home are not straight or square.Doors will not stay open on the bedrooms or bathrooms.Cracks in the ceiling just inside the master bedroom door.Ther is more to tell and if interested please contact me.It looks like when I signed on the dotted line that I gave up my rights.Do not sign that you accept the home til you take a 4 ft level and tape measure and go through the house measuring ceiling and floor in every room

Old 06-29-2006, 05:38 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie2639
Think long and hard before buying from Clayton Homes.My wife and I bought a "Freedom" model double wide from the dealer in crestview Florida.Our problems started from the first day when they were setting the home up and still is on-going.We have had the dealer and the manufacturer in Waycross Gacome and attempt to fix the problems.Some of the problems are the walls in the home are not straight or square.Doors will not stay open on the bedrooms or bathrooms.Cracks in the ceiling just inside the master bedroom door.Ther is more to tell and if interested please contact me.It looks like when I signed on the dotted line that I gave up my rights.Do not sign that you accept the home til you take a 4 ft level and tape measure and go through the house measuring ceiling and floor in every room
Good advice, Opie! We plan to buy land and I will build my own home. I've done it several times you can save a ton of money. For some of these cookie cutter goofy looking homes that they are asking $300-450,000 I can build it for about $150,000 for a 2000 sq. ft. home. I'm not a contractor but I have been owner/builder.

I would be willing to help anyone build there home. It's not that diffacult, and in SC the permits and fee are very reasonable.

Thanks

Mark

Old 06-29-2006, 07:16 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,565,235 times
Default Careful: Modular homes/DoubleWides can be a problem.

In Texas, home of many tornados and hurricanes, modular homes and double wides are always getting ripped up. Check the homework on the net about this, and you will see.
A friend of mine bought a modular home. It looked okay, but I felt that if he had his grandkids over--and I was asleep in the bedroom--the sound would shoot right thru the walls. Too thin for me.
In fact, my girlfriend sold these things for 9 years and lived in one herself. Me, I wouldn't buy one of those death traps for nothing.
Which is why God invented chocolate AND vanilla, folks.
Just my humble opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina