Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 07:53 PM

513 posts, read 575,861 times

Advertisements

I wanted to post SC airport numbers in one place. The growth of our airports has been fantastic over the past couple of years, especially considering we don't have any hub airports and are still a small state population wise.

Here are the 2018 passengers numbers for the major airports of our state (not including FLO or HH).

CHS 4,470,318 up from 3,987,427, +12.1% increase.
MYB 2,509,874 up from 2,277,965, + 10.5% increase
GSP 2,318,317 up from 2,130,885, +8.8% increase
CAE 1,197,603 up from 1,077,188 + @11% increase.

Each airport saw larger planes, increased routes, and added at least one new airline and destination. CHS and MYB both added multiple new airlines and destinations, many of which are seasonal. Obviously a strong national economy was helpful, but it's a big testament to the growth of our state, the growth of our cities, and the rising appreciation for our state as a tourist and business destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 06:42 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
I wonder how SC's airports compare to AL's (Birmingham, Mobile, Huntsville, Montgomery) since the two states have very similar populations.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:55 AM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
I wonder what GSP numbers would look like if they weren't in between Atlanta and Charlotte? A lot is lost to those larger airports. These numbers are good considering that.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:01 AM

513 posts, read 575,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I wonder how SC's airports compare to AL's (Birmingham, Mobile, Huntsville, Montgomery) since the two states have very similar populations.
Significantly more, here's what I found for Alabama airports:

Birmingham 2,972,776 +9.9%
Hunstville 1,184,374 +11.4%
Montgomery 338,920 + 11.3%

Mobile is harder to find, looks like there are two airports with different destinations (regional and downtown)? Mobile regional has 6 destinations, and I can't find counts, but there's an article from last August stating the growth and it lists 25k enplanements. So I would guess it's numbers are similar to Montgomery's.

Looks like all Alabama airpirts are growing at similar rates to ours, but not nearly as many passengers. Charleston and MYB are huge tourist draws after all. I am surprised to find that Birmingham is not a larger airport - I would have guessed it would be around 5 million or so.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:19 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
I would have expected Birmingham's airport to be busier as well. I guess ATL really impacts their passenger counts.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I would have expected Birmingham's airport to be busier as well. I guess ATL really impacts their passenger counts.
Yep. That's similar to what I was with thinking for GSP being between Atlanta and Charlotte. Still healthy numbers though.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:44 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,423,551 times
Another milestone for SC airports is British's announcement of nonstop flights from CHS to London starting in early April. In the airlines announcement was that the route would be flown on a Boeing 787 Dreamliner built in South Carolina ...very cool.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:29 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,945,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Yep. That's similar to what I was with thinking for GSP being between Atlanta and Charlotte. Still healthy numbers though.
I'm sorry but I just don't understand the logic of flying out of Charlotte or especially flying out of Atlanta to avoid having a layover.

You still have to drive to either of those airports, run through a terminal just like you were connecting, time wise is the same and perhaps quicker flying out of GSP and connecting.

I see the price argument from time to time, but for me, unless i'm saving at least $200 after factoring gas, parking, etc at Charlotte or Atlanta, It makes no sense.

Then again I hate driving. If I could fly from Greenville to Asheville I would!

Old 03-01-2019, 12:11 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
I'm sorry but I just don't understand the logic of flying out of Charlotte or especially flying out of Atlanta to avoid having a layover.

You still have to drive to either of those airports, run through a terminal just like you were connecting, time wise is the same and perhaps quicker flying out of GSP and connecting.

I see the price argument from time to time, but for me, unless i'm saving at least $200 after factoring gas, parking, etc at Charlotte or Atlanta, It makes no sense.

You forget about paying to park at these airports as well.

If you fly out of your local airport, GSP, CHS, CAE, then you have the luxury of taking an Uber or in the most helpful cases, have a friend/family member to drop you off.

I'm with you on this. Although, there are plenty of grey areas. For instance, if you live in Northeast Columbia, lets say Blythewood for example, driving to Charlotte for a cheaper domestic flight makes some sense. Although in my opinion, I'd have to be saving $100-$200. But everyone is different.

I've brought up this example in another post but my parents drove to Atlanta for a trip to Europe. They saved at least $300, plus they have the luxury of free gas (company car) and an accommodating son that could drop them off and pick them back up. Other than that, for domestic flights, it's either CAE or CLT. Atlanta already is so cheap to fly to from CAE anyway that it would make no sense to drive 3 and a half hours, gas, pay to park, etc... And that 3 and half hours is IF traffic is flowing and not stopped.

I drove to and from Atlanta for an international flight and I'll never do it again. Driving back home with jet lag is not the way to go. Or I could have spent $100 bucks on a hotel...

Flying to Asheville from Greenville is a bit extreme but I see your point! Lol

Old 03-01-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post

Hey. I agree. You're preaching to the choir. I've decided not to ever drive to Atlanta again to fly after the hassle I had last year. Once we calculated everything up, time, hassle, gas, parking fees, etc; we realized we may as well have flew out of GSP through Atlanta. Didn't really save any money or time. But we can't pretend that GSP doesn't lose traffic to those larger airports, being between the two. They've done a good job increasing traffic despite that being the case. Now that GSP has direct flights to Miami, no need to connect for that again, which is what I drove to Atlanta for last year. I'm glad they added it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina