Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 09:27 AM

4 posts, read 3,555 times

Advertisements

Hello!

New here, and to forums in general, but I'm giving it a shot for this hoping to get some insight/opinions. I'm a single 22 year old female, I currently live in Pennsylvania. I was born in Seattle, but my family moved here when I was only a few years old. I need a change at this point. I've lived here my whole life, and although I love it here, I feel like I'm not meant to stay in one place, especially at this point in my life. I want to travel, experience things, meet new people, all while I still can. I feel like PA isn't where I fit in as well as I could somewhere else and it's time to start fresh somewhere.

Once I decided I wanted to go, my choices were between the Carolinas, Colorado, or Arizona. My main reasons for moving are weather, outdoors, and people- and these states seem to fit what I want best. I narrowed it down to SC I think. The weather here in PA is okay, and I can't imagine it be TOO much different over there. I'm used to four seasons, humidity, I just want a less crazy winter and a bit more enjoyable weather year 'round in general. The most important thing to me though is the outdoors, the lifestyle, and activities. I feel my happiest when I'm out on the water, swimming, or hiking, or taking a walk, exploring new things, etc but there isn't much here to do as far as an active outdoor lifestyle.

I'm trying to find a place to live in SC that will hopefully give me everything I want. It's important that it's a safe area, and a good area to work and find a good job. I would like somewhere with plenty to do as far as restaurants, malls and shopping, bars, movies, etc. And of course like I said before, plenty of outdoors activities. Trails, parks, close distances to hiking and gardens and preferably not too far from water so I can hit the beach on my days off or weekends and not have to plan weeks out for it.
So far, after doing research I think I narrowed my choices down to Greenville, Clemson more specifically, or Conway. I've read that both are great places to live, Conway seemed okay and it was close to the beach and very cheap rent. I had a hard time finding much around Greenville that had rent within my budget but it wasn't impossible.

I know every opinion I will get will be different, and it depends on the person/where they're from when considering a move, but I was hoping anyone could help me and point me in the right direction and give me some insight on SC and any of these towns. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 11:13 AM

14,198 posts, read 14,563,893 times
bmazz

The 3 areas in SC you want to look at are Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville in that order.

Old 10-16-2019, 02:11 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,316,943 times
If you like outdoor activities, the western part of the state near the Blue Ridge, Greenville or Clemson area, is the best option in my view. You can find more affordable places in Anderson, Easley, Pendleton, and Seneca.

The 3 best lakes in the state in my view are Keowee, Hartwell and Jocasee near Clemson and there are swimming areas at various state and county parks. The western part of the state also has one of the highest number of waterfalls in the country including Whitewater Falls, the highest waterfall on the east coast.

Old 10-16-2019, 02:16 PM

4 posts, read 3,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
If you like outdoor activities, the western part of the state near the Blue Ridge, Greenville or Clemson area, is the best option in my view. You can find more affordable places in Anderson or Seneca.

The 3 best lakes in the state in my view are Keowee, Hartwell and Jocasee near Clemson and there are swimming areas at various state and county parks. The western part of the state also has one of the highest number of waterfalls in the country including Whitewater Falls, the highest waterfall on the east coast.
Thank you! I'll look into the Blue Ridge area, but I have been looking into Greenville and Clemson so I may be on the right track. Anderson and Seneca, are they similar as far as things to do, or close to things, safe, etc?

Old 10-16-2019, 03:39 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,260,587 times
You say you will looking for employment. Your field of experience may have a big impact on what parts of the state are going to be the best in your job search. I strongly recommend finding a job before moving anywhere.

Old 10-16-2019, 03:54 PM

5,686 posts, read 4,594,193 times
I think before you decide on where you want to go, you had better decide on what you want to do. Because Conway is a quaint little town, but offers less than half as much as Greenville.

Old 10-16-2019, 04:10 PM

4,892 posts, read 7,388,938 times
You give a lot of information about hobbies, activities, “wants”. But very little information about the type of employment you will be seeking. You education? Experience? Let us have some background and people can give you more suggestions as to which city might have the best options.

For instance, if your background is automotive engineering, the Greenville Spartanburg area has a lot because of BMW and it’s supporting companies.

If your background is hospitality, you might have better luck in Charleston, The Grand Strand or Hilton Head.

Best of luck.

Old 10-16-2019, 04:28 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,194,549 times
Clemson has a lot going for but still feels like a smallish college town, and on the shore of a 55,000 acre lake.We might retire there in ten years.

Old 10-17-2019, 03:10 AM

734 posts, read 912,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I think before you decide on where you want to go, you had better decide on what you want to do. Because Conway is a quaint little town, but offers less than half as much as Greenville.
I agree. We moved from Charleston SC to Conway SC almost two years ago. But before we moved to Charleston, we moved from the DC metro area.

We love it here. We live in a 55 + community. Many of these types of communities are down here.

We live in Myrtle Trace South. Less than a mile, we have Conway Hospital, Walmarts, Lowes, and many more businesses. Conway City itself, is just a few. miles away and the other way; Myrtle Beach and the beaches are just a few miles away.

So please check out the Grand Strand area. Service industry employment is plentiful here.

Last edited by mikeb29456; 10-17-2019 at 03:15 AM.. Reason: Didn't see the age of the person so it makes a difference.

Old 10-17-2019, 06:34 AM

5,466 posts, read 8,256,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
bmazz

The 3 areas in SC you want to look at are Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville in that order.
Depends on what you're looking for as far as the order goes. I would swap Columbia and Greenville, but that's an opinion just like yours is an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina