Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 856 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My boyfriend and I are looking at relocating to South Carolina. We are currently planning a trip for June to scope out some towns to potentially move to. However, without being from South Carolina and having no friends/family there we do not know a ton about the area. So, we are looking for some suggestions and opinions on where you like or dislike and why. Here is some information about us and what we are looking for when it comes to South Carolina.

-My boyfriend and I are 24 years old

-He has a bachelor's in Agricultural Education and is just a semester away from obtaining his master's. He is currently a high school agriculture teacher but would like to eventually get a PhD and teach at a university.

-I have been in banking for the past four years; however, I am almost finished with my bachelor's in criminal justice. I have not decided just yet what I am going to do with my degree or if I will stay in banking. I have thought about attending law school and becoming a criminal defense attorney or working for DHS as a case worker.

-We currently live in a college town with a population of around 50,000 but are from small towns with populations just under 3,000. I love that our town now has plenty of places to eat and shop but there isn't much to do unless you want to go to a bar, which really is not our thing. We lean more on the side of a smaller town within a 30 minute to an hour drive from a larger town.

-Coming from a landlocked state, it has been our dream to live near the beach. We know the closer we live to the beach the more expensive housing will likely become. Therefore, we are okay living as far as an hour away.

-The reason we love Oklahoma is because the people are so friendly compared to those in northern states that we have experienced. We also love all southern things such as: sweet tea, biscuits and gravy, and the use of sir and ma'am. So, we are looking for a place that would be like a little Oklahoma near the beach.

As I mentioned above, we are visiting South Carolina in June and will be flying into Myrtle Beach but have plans on traveling to Charleston, Folly Beach, Mount Pleasant, Conway, and Georgetown. Please let me know if you have any ideas on what might be a great fit for us or even what might not be so we know where to avoid.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 09:49 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
You could look at Florence on interstate 95 one hour west of Myrtle. Housing is a bargain and won't have to deal with traffic.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:12 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,057 times
You could easily fall in love with Georgetown.Its like a Mayberry on the coast.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:34 AM

247 posts, read 433,690 times
Florence is great,
Population in city around 38,000
City with many industries/jobs
Shopping
Many eateries
Growing Downtown Area
Two Interstates with around an hour to get to Columbia, or Myrtle Beach
Pee Dee Area Agriculture: Clemson Extension

Old 02-24-2020, 01:16 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
I’d say Columbia — the University of South Carolina is there but I’m not sure about agriculture programs. It’s big enough/small enough to be a pleasant city. Hour and a half roughly to the ocean but there’s also Lake Murray (very large) right outside the city. Columbia is centrally located in the middle of the state so an hour or so to mountains, larger cities and water.

The other option would be the Upstate — Clemson University is there with a large agricultural program and there are numerous smaller colleges in the upstate. The University of South Carolina Upstate (Spartanburg) also has agricultural programs. Again, there are quite a few really large lakes right there and still only a few hours to the ocean. It’s a smaller city but easy trip to Atlanta, Greenville, and not too bad a trip to Charlotte.

Best of luck!

Old 02-24-2020, 03:08 PM

14,247 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Kirst
The 3 areas in SC you want to consider are Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville, in that order. Now to show differences in posters, there is no way I could recommend Georgetown to anyone. Yes they are re-doing downtown and it is "cute" but it is an oasis in the middle of a desert. Above and below Georgetown are nice, but not Georgetown itself.

Old 02-24-2020, 03:13 PM

OP — your question made me curious about agricultural programs in SC. Your skills/career is easier to adapt to just about anywhere so I’d focus on where your boyfriend’s would best fit. I was wrong about USC-Upstate — the program I was thinking about is at Spartanburg Community College.

I found this: https://agriculture-schools.com/south-carolina

Hope it’s helpful.

Old 02-24-2020, 04:22 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,057 times
I think these folks could enjoy both living and working in Clemson, small college town beside a big lake.

My Georgetown comment was not a rec for a young couple, just a comment.I could see Georgetown as a great retirement spot though.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:44 AM

482 posts, read 419,275 times
OP states they want to be within an hour of the beach. So why do several of you suggest Columbia, Greenville or Spartanburg? Just to make a post?

East of I-95 is going to be their sweet spot.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
OP states they want to be within an hour of the beach. So why do several of you suggest Columbia, Greenville or Spartanburg? Just to make a post?

East of I-95 is going to be their sweet spot.
I suggested that her boyfriends job would be the more difficult one to secure and being near major universities that have agriculture programs would be beneficial. Her background leads to jobs everywhere.

Face it, everyone wants to be near the beach but if you are not independently wealthy or able to work from home with an existing job, you must secure employment and you must go where the jobs are.

Realistically, the big universities offer the employment in his field and a very large lake may fill the need to be near water/beach.

And, as far as I know, Coastal Carolina, College of Charleston, Citadel do not have large agricultural programs. Trident and Harry do but they are limited programs.

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 02-25-2020 at 12:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina