Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2020, 03:38 PM

6 posts, read 5,390 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have been living in North Augusta for several months now and this is the first time I got the bill for vehicle tax and registration from Aiken County. My bill is over $300. I am wondering what affects the amount of the bill? Does everyone in this county pay the same amount as I do?

It just took me by surprise because in Florida where I am from originally, we pay like under $50 for tag and registration in most counties that I know. I wonder if it is a norm to pay hundreds of dollars for tax on your vehicles here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 05:55 PM

601 posts, read 458,287 times
Auto taxes are a primary source of county revenue in SC. My bill (not Aiken Co.) for my four-year-old car worth $10k was $250. Greater assessed value of a vehicle based on make, model and year means a higher bill.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:56 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Yep. Same with me. My vehicle tax in Tennessee was never over $40 when i lived there on a fairly new car. I think it's closer to $75 now with the tag/sticker renewal fee. No state income tax also. Sounds like Florida. I miss that.

Last edited by vistatiger; 05-20-2020 at 08:11 PM..

Old 05-22-2020, 05:59 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Yep. Same with me. My vehicle tax in Tennessee was never over $40 when i lived there on a fairly new car. I think it's closer to $75 now with the tag/sticker renewal fee. No state income tax also. Sounds like Florida. I miss that.
Every state gets revenue from somewhere so there must be a tax that makes up for it from some other source? SC get s a lot of money from personal property tax.

Texas has no income tax and car registration is relatively cheap. But sales tax is 8.5% on darn near everything and our property taxes on a ~$500k house were just shy of $15K.

Florida is the only place where I've lived where there is no income tax and property taxes are low.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:34 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelzanc View Post
Hi, I have been living in North Augusta for several months now and this is the first time I got the bill for vehicle tax and registration from Aiken County. My bill is over $300. I am wondering what affects the amount of the bill? Does everyone in this county pay the same amount as I do?

It just took me by surprise because in Florida where I am from originally, we pay like under $50 for tag and registration in most counties that I know. I wonder if it is a norm to pay hundreds of dollars for tax on your vehicles here?
Tax is based on the value of the vehicle at the time of billing so the tax will decrease over time.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:07 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Every state gets revenue from somewhere so there must be a tax that makes up for it from some other source? SC get s a lot of money from personal property tax.
This ^^^^

Keep in mind that our tax on gasoline is one of the lowest in the country. Every state makes it’s revenue somewhere.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:28 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
This ^^^^

Keep in mind that our tax on gasoline is one of the lowest in the country. Every state makes it’s revenue somewhere.
It's moving on up the list of states though. Aren't they increasing it 2 cents every July for about three more years?

We do get the break on unprepared groceries at least. The sales tax in SC is 7,8 percent on everything else when you add in the local option. I believe it's even around 9 in Charleston. If Texas and Tennessee is around 9 not much difference there.

Old 05-25-2020, 02:28 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
It's moving on up the list of states though. Aren't they increasing it 2 cents every July for about three more years?

We do get the break on unprepared groceries at least. The sales tax in SC is 7,8 percent on everything else when you add in the local option. I believe it's even around 9 in Charleston. If Texas and Tennessee is around 9 not much difference there.
My understanding of the increase is that even after the total increase is implemented and the tax is 28 cents a gallon, the gas tax in SC will be lower than in neighboring Georgia (over 35 cents per gallon) or North Carolina (over 36 cents per gallon). The low gas tax is combined with a very large state road system (many roads that would be county maintained in almost every other state are state maintained in SC). Among taxes, the gas tax seems one of the more fair. The heavier the vehicle, the more wear it creates on the road per mile. In general, heavier vehicles use more gas so they pay more. The more you drive, the more you wear the roads, and the more you pay in tax. It isn't perfect but it is more fair than a lot of other taxes.

There is no doubt that there is plenty of waste and corruption in the SCDOT. The last set of reforms that were pushed failed over a power struggle between the governor's office and the state legislature. The state house still wants the ability to add their own personal pet projects and the governor's office prefers to have near absolute control. Just like the mess with Santee-Cooper, the SCDOT is good ol' boy politics full of waste and corruption with little hope of immediate reform.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:22 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
xelzanc,
I'm in Aiken county, the tax you paid sounds normal.
Now you can see why a lot of people keep those older cars running.
Less property tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina