Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 09:26 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenwings View Post
Well, my Niece and her husband bought a house in Bamberg and should have been there already except we got hit with the virus so they're still in the process of moving. My brother, her father, is moving in with them. The Charleston area is where my daughter and her family are talking about moving. Otherwise, I wouldn't know the difference.
Personally, I would choose closer to Charleston. Bamberg is in the middle of nowhere. Charleston is a nice little city though expensive to live in the actual Charleston proper, plus flooding anytime it rains. No it is not NYCity but it has enough I think to entertain you (when this virus is contained). I used to live in Greenville which is a nice city but is not close to either Bamberg or Charleston. I visit Charleston often. Traffic is horrible there but then so is traffic in NYC though you have transportation or can walk most places. When your daughter moves, I would go visit for an extended stay and look around before deciding. Get an idea of the area and where you might like to live.

As to walking, there are places in Mt. Pleasant (mostly apartments, maybe townhouses) that are walkable to some shopping. Car still is a necessity to get anywhere. There are some buses from Mt. Pleasant to downtown Charleston but I don't know how they run. Charleston is walkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 10:24 AM

20 posts, read 15,487 times
So what about services? How is internet service, cable and phone? Ordering online from Amazon or elsewhere and getting deliveries? Are there places to get groceries delivered?

Old 08-25-2020, 03:14 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Quote:
So what about services? How is internet service, cable and phone? Ordering online from Amazon or elsewhere and getting deliveries? Are there places to get groceries delivered?

In general, the further you are from the larger metro areas, the worse the internet service will be. If high speed internet is important to you, it will be essential to check out not just general areas but specific addresses if you are considering anything remotely rural. There are parts of rural SC that don't have any kind of high speed service available unless you consider satellite internet and it is a poor option for most people.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:31 PM

6 posts, read 9,442 times
Doreenwings is my sister. I can’t tell her anything about SC. I haven’t moved yet. My daughter wanted to move to SC, she found more for her money in Bamberg. I do see that some housing has a waiting list, I told my sister to put her name on the lists, she saw that they don’t take cats. She wants to live on her own , in an affordable area. I’ll be moving there in a couple of months, my niece her daughter wants to move in a couple of years, she wont be near me. I guess my sister is trying to figure, move now near me in Bamberg or later near her daughter. If she found someone living there she could hear from might be helpful. Thanks for any help.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:03 PM

Ok, so in researching the cities, I think I have decided that Orangeburg might be a better fit for me. Apparently from what I've been reading and what my brother has told me, Orangeburg is a little bigger than Bamberg and there are stores that should be walkable from some of the apartment buildings. I believe I saw a bus line there as well.
Any thoughts?

Old 03-25-2021, 12:44 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Doreen

I would not recommend Orangeburg to anyone. You are going to have to realize public transit is very, very, very limited in SC. You are going to have to take up driving a car again. One town to look at near Charleston, and 57 miles from Bamberg is Summerville. Again, get ready to start driving again.

Old 03-25-2021, 02:23 PM

What is the problem with Orangeburg? Can you be more specific? Besides the driving and public transportation. I don't want to move closer to Charleston because it's more expensive and my family is in Bamberg, so I'd rather be closer to them.

Old 03-25-2021, 03:32 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
What is the problem with Orangeburg? Can you be more specific? Besides the driving and public transportation. I don't want to move closer to Charleston because it's more expensive and my family is in Bamberg, so I'd rather be closer to them.
As wanting to be close to them, then move to Bamberg. I never said anything other than it being boring but at you age and from NYC, maybe you want close to family and a much, much, much slower pace of living. boring. Either way, you are going to have to drive and learn to love the nearest WalMart.

PS
When in my early 30's, I lived at 325 East 50th St, right off 3rd Ave. A 4 story walk up and I lived on the 4th floor for cheap rent. I did not have a car. I loved it at that age.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:58 PM

Been there, done that. I'm not in my 30's anymore. I've lived in NY most of my life and the love of it is over. It's dirty, crowded and dangerous at this point with the present local administration. Between the pandemic and the criminals, I want to be able to go outside and sit and relax and look at greenery instead of counting the dirty masks on the street and walking 6 blocks to find a bench to sit on. I have a valid driver's license, but I haven't driven in years. No need to here. As far as boring, I can keep myself busy and I'll be near family. There's nothing exciting going on here anymore. Either everything is closed or too expensive or too dangerous. I just wanted a little input about Orangeburg. Thanks for your advice.

Old 03-25-2021, 05:13 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
I assume you’ve looked at things like this

https://discoversouthcarolina.com/products/10028

Sorry, I don’t know anything to tell you about Orangeburg or Bamberg. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina