Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2021, 01:36 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

“What does metro have to do with anything. You just said ‘city of Charlotte is larger than city of Atlanta all day everyday, city populations matter’...did you not. All I'm saying is if you want to believe El Paso bigger than Atlanta, just because it has a higher city population, you are free to believe that.”

Really? What does metro (population) have to do with anything? On the list of municipality populations, nothing.

Being the largest city in SC means that in every article or tv news report that mentions that ___________ is “the state’s largest city,” the average reader or listener will take that information in without saying yes but if you drew the boundaries different or if this or that area were annexed into the second largest city then it would become the largest city blah blah blah. In that sense, size matters. Some people might say “largest city!” - well then I’ll never live there or even go there - I hate big cities - whatever - We’re not talking about anything but the figure next to the municipality’s name on city population release day. I never tried to make this anything other than about the average person’s perception of cities (not metros) and bragging rights on the municipal population figures in and of themselves.

My bad on the Yankee thing. I don’t know where I got that you were from up North. I thought it was Boston specifically. I was thinking of someone else or misinterpreted one of your comments somewhere along the way. I apologize for that.

Edit: I reviewed some threads and figured out who I confused you with. It was nothing they said that I took as impolite or anything.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 08-08-2021 at 01:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 01:39 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
What you are saying is true, but it does not change the fact that each and every city and town (municipality) will have a population figure beside its name when the Census Bureau releases it’s population figures for municipalities based on the 2020 census. Somebody must believe it matters or they wouldn’t publish the figures. It must matter to many people who wait for and go over the figures or they wouldn’t do so. No one on this forum has made a point on the comparisons of metro populations versus city populations that I have not been fully aware of for 45 years. Even if only to say ‘my city (municipality) has more people in it than yours, nya nya nya nya nya’ - somebody at the Census Bureau, and many a city leader, feels the municipal numbers are important.
Doesn't matter a whole lot to businesses trying to locate to an area. That's really what matters to me and probably most others. Based on city limit population Greenville should have much less amenities. Thank goodness that isn't the case. I guess they could do a city-county consolidation too like Augusta and look like a city of 500k+.

Old 08-08-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Doesn't matter a whole lot to businesses trying to locate to an area. That's really what matters to me and probably most others. Based on city limit population Greenville should have much less amenities. Thank goodness that isn't the case. I guess they could do a city-county consolidation too like Augusta and look like a city of 500k+.
I know.

Edit: But still, those population figures will be next to those municipalities on city population release day. If Charleston is the largest, I’ll like it. If not, I’ll eat it. And I won’t fall back on well, if you counted Mount Pleasant and North Charleston yada yada yada.

Old 08-08-2021, 02:02 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
I know.

Edit: But still, those population figures will be next to those municipalities on city population release day. If Charleston is the largest, I’ll like it. If not, I’ll eat it. And I won’t fall back on well, if you counted Mount Pleasant and North Charleston yada yada yada.
Doesn't really matter which one of those have larger city populations as far as what they provide. Which one provides the most amenities? Which one has a larger city population just serves the ego. I'd rather have the amenities.

Old 08-08-2021, 02:27 PM

Also with municipality populations, there’s growth and shrinkage. There’s rate of growth or rate of shrinkage. There’s the number of people gained versus percentage gain. Did the largest municipality grow by half the percentage rate as the fifth largest but gain twice the people? Who moved in? Who moved out? Is the percentage of growth sustainable? If there’s shrinkage, why? No city wants to lose population if it’s losing people whom any city would like to keep, and that should be just about everybody. Did people knock down the doors moving into certain areas of the municipality? Why? Did they displace even more people who moved out of the municipality? At the end of the day I am primarily a city data geek, with metros and MSAs closely attached in my analyses. When I say city, I mean municipality. When I meet someone who lives “here” I almost always have a way of finding out if they will get to vote for the mayor of the City of Charleston. That’s another way of saying I find out if they live inside or outside Charleston’s city limits. That’s just me. If Greenville, the municipality, grew by 5% in the last year, that would be a hefty increase and would mean something, whether by annexation or infill. If North Charleston grew by so much that its trajectory is to overtake Charleston decidedly within ten years, what would that mean for Charleston the municipality? If Myrtle Beach grew by a large percentage and Charleston did as well, which municipality gained more people and by how much? No, the figures aren’t just to tack on my wall to get a charge out of looking at them as scores now and then. No, I don’t do that.

Old 08-08-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Doesn't really matter which one of those have larger city populations as far as what they provide. Which one provides the most amenities? Which one has a larger city population just serves the ego. I'd rather have the amenities.
Each metro has amenities the others don’t have. Those amenities often mainly serve the ego as well, especially the ones that run their course quickly and don’t contribute much to the community. Metros are metros. Municipalities are municipalities. And every municipality has a population. If someone’s going to brag on having the biggest metro and/or the most amenities, I see no harm in someone having their moment by getting to brag that they live in the largest municipality (city).

Old 08-08-2021, 03:44 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
If you're really intent on having this discussion, could you maybe reply to me rather than copy and paste my quotes? I'm so confused on who is saying what, me or you...

Quote:
Really? What does metro (population) have to do with anything? On the list of municipality populations, nothing.
Anyways, still confused on why metro is even brought up. I never said anything about metro populations. My argument was regardless of Jax being FL's largest city, Miami is still #1. I never said it's because Miami has a larger metro population, I said its because Jax consolidated with the county, while Miami hasn't expanded its borders to include the areas that are traditionally "Miami." That is basically Columbia and Greenville, and Charleston to a lesser extent.

Regardless of what the census says is #1, Charleston or Columbia, they're both seen the same. That's my simple argument.

Quote:
Being the largest city in SC means that in every article or tv news report that mentions that ___________ is “the state’s largest city,” the average reader or listener will take that information in without saying yes but if you drew the boundaries different or if this or that area were annexed into the second largest city then it would become the largest city blah blah blah. In that sense, size matters. Some people might say “largest city!” - well then I’ll never live there or even go there - I hate big cities - whatever - We’re not talking about anything but the figure next to the municipality’s name on city population release day. I never tried to make this anything other than about the average person’s perception of cities (not metros) and bragging rights on the municipal population figures in and of themselves.
Sure, okay. People hear Greenville County Schools is the states largest school district, but I dont know anyone who thinks GCS is the "best" simply because its the largest, or takes that as a brag, or takes it as anything really. Most people dont read that deeply. I'm sure there's people who think Columbia is the largest simply because it has the most skyscrapers. That's just how people think.

Again I dont think it matters, but if it makes you feel better, im pretty sure the census numbers will show Charleston as #1, considering Charleston already passed Columbia in estimates what feels like years ago.

Quote:
My bad on the Yankee thing. I don’t know where I got that you were from up North. I thought it was Boston specifically. I was thinking of someone else or misinterpreted one of your comments somewhere along the way. I apologize for that.
No, I've never been to Massachusetts. But apology accepted, though I dont need one.

Quote:
Yes. Like I said, having an IKEA is something people actually do brag about. Even though Nashville is on a much better path than Memphis, you should've seen how irritated the Nashvillians were when they found out they weren't getting an IKEA afterall, after Memphis got one.

The amenities is a much better way to tell cities apart imo. Jax is 900k vs Miami's 470k on paper, but if you visit both, the difference is staggering. You wouldn't know theyre in the same state. Miami's suburbs have a larger and taller skyline than Jacksonville. Miami has more massive freeways, a rail line, a much larger airport, more 5 star hotels and exclusive restaurants.

That's how people really tell "whos bigger." No one in Florida actually believes Jax to a be a larger place, even Jacksonvillans. They brag on the fact they have less traffic and more seasons than Miami, not that theyre a bigger city.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:52 PM

[quote=Jandrew5;61632821]If you're really intent on having this discussion, could you maybe reply to me rather than copy and paste my quotes? I'm so confused on who is saying what, me or you...

Anyways, still confused on why metro is even brought up. I never said anything about metro populations. My argument was regardless of Jax being FL's largest city, Miami is still #1. I never said it's because Miami has a larger metro population, I said its because Jax consolidated with the county, while Miami hasn't expanded its borders to include the areas that are traditionally "Miami." That is basically Columbia and Greenville, and Charleston to a lesser extent.

Regardless of what the census says is #1, Charleston or Columbia, they're both seen the same. That's my simple argument.

Sure, okay. People hear Greenville County Schools is the states largest school district, but I dont know anyone who thinks GCS is the "best" simply because its the largest, or takes that as a brag, or takes it as anything really. Most people dont read that deeply. I'm sure there's people who think Columbia is the largest simply because it has the most skyscrapers. That's just how people think.

Again I dont think it matters, but if it makes you feel better, im pretty sure the census numbers will show Charleston as #1, considering Charleston already passed Columbia in estimates what feels like years ago.

No, I've never been to Massachusetts. But apology accepted, though I dont need one.

Yes. Like I said, having an IKEA is something people actually do brag about. Even though Nashville is on a much better path than Memphis, you should've seen how irritated the Nashvillians were when they found out they weren't getting an IKEA afterall, after Memphis got one.

The amenities is a much better way to tell cities apart imo. Jax is 900k vs Miami's 470k on paper, but if you visit both, the difference is staggering. You wouldn't know theyre in the same state. Miami's suburbs have a larger and taller skyline than Jacksonville. Miami has more massive freeways, a rail line, a much larger airport, more 5 star hotels and exclusive restaurants.

That's how people really tell "whos bigger." No one in Florida actually believes Jax to a be a larger place, even Jacksonvillans. They brag on the fact they have less traffic and more seasons than Miami, not that theyre a bigger city.[/QUOTE

I put quotation marks around what you said. That’s how you can tell what you had said from what I said. I mean, if you’re really intent on having this conversation.

Miami’s metro population versus Jacksonville’s metro population is what makes metro Miami bigger and more important than metro Jacksonville. Jacksonville’s county-consolidated population is neither here nor there in that equation, but there is no arguing that Jacksonville City’s population, largely because of that consolidation, is larger than Miami City’s population, and there will be written and verbal reports calling Jacksonville Florida’s largest city for no reason other than it is Florida’s largest municipality (city). There is no need to explain anything. On the topic of which municipality (city) is larger, the numbers don’t lie.

Old 08-08-2021, 05:10 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
So this is where everybody is.

Old 08-08-2021, 05:46 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Yeah I'm all kinds of confused at this point, but I dont really have anything else new to add at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina