Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 07:19 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,057 times

Advertisements

Bet T&L spent about zero time in the upper east side, in cities like Charleston a city block or Two can change everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2021, 08:04 PM

12,903 posts, read 18,756,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
Bet T&L spent about zero time in the upper east side, in cities like Charleston a city block or Two can change everything.
Whatever the stats on one city block might be, it wasn’t a survey of best city blocks in the US to live on. Every city has parts with worse stats than other parts.

Old 06-01-2021, 02:12 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
It's largely due to a terrible combination of inefficient state and local government structures and a strong aversion to tax increases for nearly any reason, undergirded by a propensity to be protectionist instead of proactive and progressive.

Old 06-07-2021, 09:53 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
One of the main drawing features to SC for both individuals and corporations is low taxes. That is particularly appealing to retirees, who make up much of SC's population growth. There's a trade-off to everything. Low taxes means less investment in infrastructure, schools, and indirectly, crime. Most law enforcement organizations are significantly understaffed and underpaid, leading officers to seek other jobs or other locations. As you say, it's nothing new. Been like that for a long time because our local and state politicians know what it takes to get reelected.
It's a draw and also a drawback. You can't have both sadly. People leave Ohio, NJ, NY because of the high taxes but then complain about the lack of this and lack of that once they're down here. Either you ante up on property taxes or you deal with tragically horrible infrastructure. I always tell people down here you get what you pay for. If you're not willing to pay then don't expect much.

Old 06-07-2021, 09:56 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's largely due to a terrible combination of inefficient state and local government structures and a strong aversion to tax increases for nearly any reason, undergirded by a propensity to be protectionist instead of proactive and progressive.
Question. I heard once that there is a law in this state where if the GA raises taxes in one area they have to decrease in another?

I seem to recall a few years ago when the state decided to raise taxes on cigarettes that they could only raise it so much because they then had to lower taxes in or on something else.

Does any of that sound accurate? haha

Old 06-08-2021, 01:25 PM

542 posts, read 1,107,583 times
I wouldn't mind my taxes a little higher, if government was not so clueless, and wasteful. Just because they say they're going to spend on infrastructure, doesn't mean they are. Corruption is out of control, in all levels of government, literally. I loath these people!

Old 06-10-2021, 06:07 PM

12,903 posts, read 18,756,320 times
You have to look for pockets of excellence in SC. Google.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:11 PM

1,290 posts, read 784,069 times
I've been to high tax states. Nothing about the roads stood out to me as being better.

I think we are getting a decent return on our roads in SC. They aren't perfect but they are adequate.

SC is a top state in economic development, population growth and tourism. None of these things are associated with a truly bad place to live.

Raising the gas tax when gas is 3 dollars a gallon doesn't sound like a good idea and it is a regressive tax in general. If the state starts raising income and property taxes, that will probably shrink the number of new taxpayers moving in. If you want growth in SC, the best way to do that is be an alternative to high tax states at both the corporate level and taxpayer level.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 06-10-2021 at 06:54 PM..

Old 06-14-2021, 03:39 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
Question. I heard once that there is a law in this state where if the GA raises taxes in one area they have to decrease in another?

I seem to recall a few years ago when the state decided to raise taxes on cigarettes that they could only raise it so much because they then had to lower taxes in or on something else.

Does any of that sound accurate? haha
If so, that's pretty horrible IMO.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:36 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
It's a draw and also a drawback. You can't have both sadly. People leave Ohio, NJ, NY because of the high taxes but then complain about the lack of this and lack of that once they're down here. Either you ante up on property taxes or you deal with tragically horrible infrastructure. I always tell people down here you get what you pay for. If you're not willing to pay then don't expect much.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina