Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 12:37 PM

65 posts, read 66,664 times

Advertisements

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/south-carolina

you guys don't seem to be from one of the worst states in America, I don't see a huge amount of complaining here, my mom recently moved out there, even. Yet if you check rankings, SC consistently ranks one of the worst states in America. Crime at a whopping #46, education at #44, health care at #34, infrastructure at #36 opportunity at #38 This is not a recent development in statistics either, but rather a trend that has existed for several years now, at least going back to 2019. The stats and the average perception (the view of those who live there, and those who don't) of SC don't match at all. whats up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 01:05 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,926,627 times
Because at the end of the day we are only slightly below average in a lot of things but despite what the media will tell you the US average is still pretty high.

Beyond that it depends on the people moving in for what's important, Snowbirds for instance probably aren't going to care that the schools are a bit below average since they are retired and not about to be having any kids.

Likewise Healthcare is about average on quality across the state and frankly a lot of Rural areas are going to bring that down, if you are living in Charleston its a safe bet the healthcare quality is well above the national average.

Then of course you get to the economy where we are ranked #18 or short-term fiscal stability where we are #17 which is rather decent when it comes with a good environment and decent hospitals.

Old 05-16-2021, 03:32 PM

12,742 posts, read 18,550,403 times
Lingering generational poverty in certain areas from the state’s being devastated in the Civil War explains a lot of it. The state keeps talking like it’s going to stop factoring out the poverty-stricken areas that bring its stats down and take steps to improve their quality of life, instead of trying to justify the state’s overall performance by saying yes, but if you factor out those areas we’re doing pretty well.

Old 05-16-2021, 03:38 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,555,266 times
Just like many other states, the areas where out-of-state newcomers and retirees are moving to and basically stay in for their daily activities are going to skew much higher on the socioeconomic spectrum than many of the below average or even average areas. Hilton Head or Kiawah Island are not good representations of what you may find 50-75 miles inland for instance.

Old 05-16-2021, 04:24 PM

2,163 posts, read 3,101,187 times
We’re purposely trying to keep the numbers on the low side to keep the rif-raf out.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:49 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,800,301 times
One of the main drawing features to SC for both individuals and corporations is low taxes. That is particularly appealing to retirees, who make up much of SC's population growth. There's a trade-off to everything. Low taxes means less investment in infrastructure, schools, and indirectly, crime. Most law enforcement organizations are significantly understaffed and underpaid, leading officers to seek other jobs or other locations. As you say, it's nothing new. Been like that for a long time because our local and state politicians know what it takes to get reelected.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:36 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,814,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassnumbers View Post

you guys don't seem to be from one of the worst states in America, I don't see a huge amount of complaining here, my mom recently moved out there, even. Yet if you check rankings, SC consistently ranks one of the worst states in America. Crime at a whopping #46, education at #44, health care at #34, infrastructure at #36 opportunity at #38 This is not a recent development in statistics either, but rather a trend that has existed for several years now, at least going back to 2019. The stats and the average perception (the view of those who live there, and those who don't) of SC don't match at all. whats up with that?
South Carolina has a number of wealthier, advanced areas full of involved, forward-thinking concerned citizens that make sure their areas do pretty well on subjects of crime, education, healthcare, etc. And South Carolina has another set of poorer areas that are completely lacking in these things.

These areas live side by side, hardly acknowledging the existence of each other. Virtually nothing binds them together. But they are considered one political body to be averaged together for the purposes of these rankings.

I'd even go out on a limb and suggest that most people really consider themselves to be a citizen of (for example) Greenville, rather than a citizen of South Carolina. I know I do.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:52 AM

4,892 posts, read 7,385,630 times
OP’s posts indicates he’s in Hawaii. Why does he care about SC? Troll.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:44 AM

513 posts, read 570,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassnumbers View Post

There's probably lots of reasons, but I would say this is a good example of where statistics often don't reflect real world experience. There is so much more to living in a state than a few criteria whose number rankings only tell a small part of the story. For many living in SC, and for many moving in, it is an overall nice place to live with more positives than negatives. We know crime has ties to certain areas and sometimes lifestyle choices and personal decisions. Healthcare and education also can be quite influenced by family structure and personal/family habits. It certainly isn't perfect but there is a lot of "quality" in SC if one is looking for it. Further, I always find it interesting how so many of the states near the top of the US News rankings are ones that would fall much further down on my list. Neither Washington nor Minnesota would appeal to me as a great place to raise a family, particularity over the past couple of years, nor many of the New England states that tend to dominate "the best of" lists.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:24 PM

14,193 posts, read 14,553,672 times
One reason many retire/relocate to SC is lower state taxes. This does show up as "lesser" social services (schools, roads, etc). You do not get champagne for beer prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina