Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2007, 08:33 PM

31 posts, read 120,046 times

Advertisements

Any ideas on how to meet some new people when living in the Charleston area? We are middle aged, hubby has a different kind of job, so he's not able to get out much. I'm an artist, looking for someone to pal around with.

Thanks for any help! E
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 04:28 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,774,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elainefin8 View Post
Any ideas on how to meet some new people when living in the Charleston area? We are middle aged, hubby has a different kind of job, so he's not able to get out much. I'm an artist, looking for someone to pal around with.

Thanks for any help! E
I don't live in that area but here are some ways to meet people, join a club, take a night course, volunteer, get a part time job in a restaurant or retail store. You said you're an artist, maybe you can teach a class at a local library, park or adult night school. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:39 AM

31 posts, read 120,046 times
Thanks for the ideas. I am working as a full time sub at the local highschool. Great fun, but mostly kids all day. I am still trying to get something working with the local institutions as far as teaching. There is a great deal of resistance to the idea.

There must be some groups, clubs, something out here for artists? Have you heard of anything?

I'm home for a week on the injured reserve list. Great time to do some more networking!

Thanks, Elaine

Old 01-07-2007, 04:50 PM

41 posts, read 84,789 times
Default Making friends in new places

Any community, large or small, needs volunteers. There are always outreach programs for food distribution and such. Public schools always need responsible citizens to help with programs and in the office. The best part about volunteering is that there is such a diverse group involved. Also, check with the Chamber of Commerce to learn about art societies, garden clubs, and civic groups like the Lions Club, Rotary Club, etc. Churches are another source where volunteers are appreciated.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:12 PM

7 posts, read 72,232 times
Next time you are at the grocery store, walk up to someone and say "Hi How are You"? Start from there. I am sure you made friends before, you can do it again. I can be hired as a consultant. We will pal around & meet new friends. Once you feel you have enough relationships i will go no my way.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 11,058 times
Elaine,

I live in Summerville and Work in Mt. Pleasant. I am a financial professional and work with a lot of women and part of my job is meeting and networking with new people. I would recommend looking at the Charleston Regional Business Journal's Charitable Event Calendar. It has wonderful events posted monthly in Charleston. Last year they had a Female Artists night at the Aquarium to benefit a Local Charity. You could be a participant at an event like this or a guest and Meet females interested in what your interested in. I do know that there is an event on February First at the Rice House for Women Making a Difference (.Com) that is a membership drive. This may be an opportunity for you or the Center for Women C4W.com hosts many interested womens lunches. Hope that helps. Christi

Old 01-08-2007, 02:18 PM

51 posts, read 260,723 times
A friend of mine is an artist and artists' model in Atlanta, and she's met other artists at sketch groups organized by museums and galleries. Check out some of the Charleston art galleries and ask around about sketching groups or what have you. With all the art in Charleston, there's got to be some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina