Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 11:12 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
Strom Thurmond is treated differently than Fritz Hollings by most people with your views. There's an obvious reason for that. One switched to the GOP, one stayed in the same party.
That's hardly the reason. Strom is treated worse because of the horrible things he actually did, like his record-breaking filibuster of civil rights legislation, running for president as a Dixiecrat, and fathering a child with a Black woman that he kept under wraps for his entire life. Nothing Hollings ever did throughout his entire political career compares to any of that. Strom could have remained a Democrat and would still be seen as worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2022, 12:11 PM

1,290 posts, read 782,176 times
You say that because you are a Democrat. They both were segregationists. I'm objective about this. I don't want a statue of Strom Thurmond.

I haven't seen you criticize Hollings on here but you accused me of racism upthread. I suggested Charleston take down Hollings statue and put up statues of the black people murdered at the church a few years ago but you called me a racist.

Both Robert Byrd and Al Gore's father filibustered the civil rights act. Robert Byrd was in the KKK. All of the prominent Democrats were at Byrd's funeral gushing about him. Nobody in your party was concerned about the optics of nominating Al Gore, the son of a segregationist who filibustered the civil rights act.

All of the Dixiecrats had been Democrats.

I note that you also have not provided a link to Ernest Hollings's apology to black citizens. Step 1 in redemption is a sincere apology.. It is interesting that you have not criticized CharlestonData's hype of Strom Thurmond.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 03-13-2022 at 12:34 PM..

Old 03-14-2022, 01:41 PM

12,877 posts, read 18,736,837 times
I haven’t “hyped” either one of them. I have simply opined that they were two politicians who in the view of most South Carolinians redeemed themselves later in their careers after the era when basic civil rights were being denied to Black citizens. When I said Hollings was special, I meant to South Carolina, regardless of the fact that of course he had his detractors for whatever reasons. All politicians do.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:49 PM

Calling him special sounds like hype to me.

You have said that we need people like Hollings in our government.

Old 03-15-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Calling him special sounds like hype to me.

You have said that we need people like Hollings in our government.
Special in terms of his level of statesmanship

More like him needed in government for that level of statesmanship

Old 03-15-2022, 06:46 PM

He wasn't a statesman. Did you not read those quotes? There are more quotes out there.

Old 03-16-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
He wasn't a statesman. Did you not read those quotes? There are more quotes out there.
Your opinion

Old 03-16-2022, 04:53 PM

What made Mr. Hollings more special than other politicians in our state and national government?

Old 03-17-2022, 09:34 AM

Where did I say he was more special than other statesmen?

“A statesman or stateswoman is a respected, skilled and experienced political leader or figure. In most respects a statesman is the opposite of a politician. Politicians are thought of as people who will say or do anything to get elected or to gain power.”
- Oxford

Fritz called it as he saw it. I’m out. Have at it with the last word.

Old 03-17-2022, 12:26 PM

Hollings said the only reason he was segregationist is because he had to be to get elected.

If that is true, that means he wasn't a statesman by your definition.

If Hollings was not more special than past and current leaders, what is the point in asserting we need men like him in government .

He never opposed segregation when it was legal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina