Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 08:19 PM

15 posts, read 16,694 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to move to a town outside Columbia from SW Florida.We have two young kids - one will be starting kindergarten in the fall. We are trying to narrow down which towns would be the right fit for us to further explore - we are looking for a safe town, very conservative values. Looking to spend 550-700k. We like the idea of being close to Lake Murray but have heard some good things about towns in opposite direction like Elgin and Blythewood. Appreciate any input, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 03:05 PM

542 posts, read 1,106,236 times
Hello. If you're going to live in the Columbia area, you want to be close to Lake Murray. Lexington, and the Irmo-Chapin area should probaly fit the bill. The soil and trees are better around the Irmo-Chapin side of the lake. It's more clay then sand, so there are way less gnats and bugs. Lexington close to the dam has the same lay out soil wise. The farther West you go from the dam, the more sand and pest. These areas, also offer the best schools.

Old 03-18-2023, 06:22 AM

349 posts, read 243,671 times
We love Lexington! Moved to the area from the DC area, almost 3 years ago. We were renting near Irmo but bought a house in Lexington last year. I think you’ll be okay on price point and we feel safe. If you look at Lexington, look in River Bluff or Lexington High School areas. We’ve heard mixed things about the Red Bank area (White Knoll HS). Also it is a bit further from the lake and downtown Columbia, if you ever want to venture those ways.

I can’t speak for Northeast Blythewood or Elgin) but Irmo has some nice areas too. Chapin is a growing area but we have friends that live there and seem to like it!

If you come visit (highly recommend if you can before moving), I can certainly give you suggestions of places to eat!

Old 03-18-2023, 07:00 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,263,906 times
I second the River Bluff or Lexington High zones. Lexington has grown a ton the last 20 years and has everything a family could want. Great schools, low taxes and crime, and believe it or not a local government that listens to the citizens. I can't say anything bad about the other areas you mention, I just know what our experiences have been.

If I were asked I would strongly suggest you try for Midway or Providence elementary, Meadow Glen or Lakeside middle, and River Bluff high school. If you are thinking private schools Northside Academy is fantastic. With your price points you will find a ton of options and this area offers just about everything a family could want.

And no matter where in the area you move you will find the friendliest people you have ever met. Good luck.

Old 03-18-2023, 07:00 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
Look into Woodcreek Farms in Elgin/Northeast Columbia. Also, you can’t go wrong with Lake Murray.

Old 03-18-2023, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luo2013 View Post
We love Lexington! Moved to the area from the DC area, almost 3 years ago. We were renting near Irmo but bought a house in Lexington last year. I think you’ll be okay on price point and we feel safe. If you look at Lexington, look in River Bluff or Lexington High School areas. We’ve heard mixed things about the Red Bank area (White Knoll HS). Also it is a bit further from the lake and downtown Columbia, if you ever want to venture those ways.

I can’t speak for Northeast Blythewood or Elgin) but Irmo has some nice areas too. Chapin is a growing area but we have friends that live there and seem to like it!

If you come visit (highly recommend if you can before moving), I can certainly give you suggestions of places to eat!
Appreciate the feedback and breakdown oof the different areas so much! We will be visiting in 2 weeks and would love restaurant recommendations!

Old 03-18-2023, 01:33 PM

So appreciate the breakdown of school districts. I am very apprehensive about starting my oldest in a public kindergarten due to everything that has been going on within the schools lately. I actually did come across Northside academy in my reasearch - so I am glad to hear it is good. I am torn between public and private schools.

Old 03-18-2023, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
Hello. If you're going to live in the Columbia area, you want to be close to Lake Murray. Lexington, and the Irmo-Chapin area should probaly fit the bill. The soil and trees are better around the Irmo-Chapin side of the lake. It's more clay then sand, so there are way less gnats and bugs. Lexington close to the dam has the same lay out soil wise. The farther West you go from the dam, the more sand and pest. These areas, also offer the best schools.
This insight about the soil and bugs is very interesting and appreciated!

Old 03-18-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
I second the River Bluff or Lexington High zones. Lexington has grown a ton the last 20 years and has everything a family could want. Great schools, low taxes and crime, and believe it or not a local government that listens to the citizens. I can't say anything bad about the other areas you mention, I just know what our experiences have been.

If I were asked I would strongly suggest you try for Midway or Providence elementary, Meadow Glen or Lakeside middle, and River Bluff high school. If you are thinking private schools Northside Academy is fantastic. With your price points you will find a ton of options and this area offers just about everything a family could want.

And no matter where in the area you move you will find the friendliest people you have ever met. Good luck.
So appreciate the breakdown of school districts. I am very apprehensive about starting my oldest in a public kindergarten due to everything that has been going on within the schools lately. I actually did come across Northside academy in my reasearch - so I am glad to hear it is good. I am torn between public and private schools.
We are looking to create a life that provides a wholesome environment in such a chaotic world

Old 03-18-2023, 04:02 PM

349 posts, read 243,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchfriesandgravy View Post
Appreciate the feedback and breakdown oof the different areas so much! We will be visiting in 2 weeks and would love restaurant recommendations!
Glad you’re able to come visit!! Here are some of our favorites:

-Clara and Ray’s in Lexington (best local pizza we’ve found so far; great service)
-Flight Deck in Lexington (great atmosphere - so much military memorabilia you can sit and stare for hours! Food is decent but desserts are amazing).
-Higher Ground Char House in Chapin (great burgers)

Also not my favorite, but decent and there’s MANY locations - a local chain called Lizard’s Thicket, if you like southern cooking (my husband grew up in the south so loves a lot of those types of foods).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina