Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 01:27 PM

233 posts, read 701,142 times

Advertisements

It is sad to see the great NE and Midwest sections of the United States die a little more each year. A combination of changes in the economy and hard left retro politics is slowly but surely sinking the place. We've been in South Carolina for three years and I can't wait to get the hell out. Geographically it's a very nice state. You have a smidgeon of the Appalachians and nice rolling hills of the Upstate, and the slow moving beauty of the Low Country, and lots of nice places in between. So what's wrong? Lots in my book. The economy is nowhere near as strong as North Carolina, Georgia or parts of Virginia. Just like insider politics makes things difficult in the north, the old boy network here does the same. Additionally, old beliefs and habits die hard. Many southerners outright resent the influx of hordes of Yankees diluting their state and their culture. And make no mistake about it, you'll miss certain comforts and accoutrements that you had in the bad old north. I've been in Columbia, South Carolina for more than three years and have yet to find a decent deli, loaf of bread or honest to goodness non chain Italian food. In reality why should I expect it, and why should native southerners be criticized for not having these things in abundance like up north? It was mentioned that the public schools are poor here. That's the understatement of the century. There are maybe a dozen at best, decent public school districts in South Carolina. It's just not a priority here. South Carolina had a good deal of momentum going for it from the 80's to the mid 90s, especially under the late Governor Carroll Campbell. Today a stagnant state of inertia permeates the state. It's too bad because South Carolina could grow at a nice steady pace without losing its unique southern identity. After all, who could really call Florida a southern state today, or Atlanta a southern city? Anyway, the north continues to die, but you're not particularly welcome here in South Carolina. I've been in lots friendlier places. I'm an urban northerner, I'd go back in a heartbeat if the opportunity presented itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 06:23 PM

486 posts, read 996,733 times
I am supprised at how different everyone's opinions are on these subjects. I am still looking forward to seeing S.C. first hand soon. Good luck to all!

Old 12-03-2006, 07:45 PM

Thanks for all the great info, but does anyone have any information on the Johnsonville school district. I've done as much research as I can without actually going there, even called the schools and local police stations. I know the area is rural but thats OK with me. If I want more to do, Myrtle Beach is only about 40 mins away. I like the area because it is close to the coast (my husband and I grew up and still live on Long Island) but far enough inland that we would'nt take a direct hit from a hurricane. Anyway, this is a great forum and it is always full of interesting bits of information and personnel opinions.

Old 12-31-2006, 06:11 AM

2 posts, read 8,309 times
Hey, I live in Johnsonville SC and have lived here for the past 13 years. Like every small town, it has it drawbacks and I love it here. I moved here from Florence, SC and we live about 45 minutes from Florence, Georgetown and Myrtle Beach. It is about 1.5 hours from Charleston and Columbia. so you see, we are close enough to the big city to be there shortly but far enough away that we can still enjoy the peaceful country life. Yes Hurricane Hugo did significant damage here but there are risks no matter where you live. That is only the 2nd BIG hurricane I have lived through in 50 years! AGain, I LOVE IT HERE! Have a blessed day! Ann

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Barbara, I would visit johnsonville before you move. Long Island is a different planet compared to the area you're talking about. Not that it's a bad area, but look at some statistics. I don't know a whole lot about long island, I'll just assume you're from Suffolk County.

Household median income
Suffolk County, NY - $65,228
Florence County, SC - $35,144
(3 miles from Johnsonville) Williamsburg County, SC - $24,214

% of population Below Poverty line
Suffolk - 6%
Florence - 16.4%
Williamsburg - 27.9%

Something to think about.

This isn't just for you, but for other people who've been asking about "being in hurricane region".

Johnsonville is about 30 miles inland. For example: Hurricane Hugo (1989) was a Category 5. My grandfather's house on Lake Marion, which is about 60 miles inland, had the roof torn off the house. Most people on the lake lost their boats. I was in Dalzell, SC, which is about 110 miles inland. We lost 3 Oak trees (out of 5) and lost power and water for a few weeks. Hugo traveled 175 miles to charlotte, and hit it with ~100mph winds.

Point is, if you live within roughly 150 miles of the coast, you are at some sort of risk. If you live within 50 miles of the coast, you can definitely call that a "hurricane zone". if you're right on the coast, well, you know it because of your insurance costs!

Good luck
-Anon

Old 01-01-2007, 01:28 AM

617 posts, read 2,572,380 times
The great thing is that you can live anywhere in SC and still be within about 4 hours or less of the coast. I live in Greenville and we go to Isle of Palms a couple times every summer and it's about a 3 hour drive. Not bad at all, really, and we don't have to worry too much about a hurricane unless it's another Hugo.

Good luck finding a place!

Old 03-15-2007, 07:39 AM

7 posts, read 26,325 times
Soon to be new resident of Johnsonville in the Persimmon Fields subdivision. We searched high and low in SC before coming across this new subdivision 18 months ago. I can't say enough nice things about the city, community and the builder.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:18 PM

6 posts, read 27,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM View Post
We live in NJ and are thinking about making a move to SC as well. The area we are looking at is called Carolina Forest, about 10 minutes from Myrtle Beach. I worry about hurricanes also - even with Hugo we got it in NJ not as bad.

Good luck with your decision it is very hard to make the decision.
CF is a great area. Lots of re-locates here. I can't name 1 single MB native in my development. Everyone is from MI, OH, PA, NJ, NY or GA. The major issues are the roads, we haven't quite caught up to all the development. Several 2 lanes roads are 80-150 cars deep waiting at stop signs @ 5pm. The retail development is also about 3 years behind. There are very few choices for Grocery Shopping, Gas, Take-Out, Delivery etc. The are is growing like no other, Dump trucks, Mexicans, & Contractors dominate the streets and the work 24-7. I have seen probably 2500 homes go up on my road in the 1.5 years I have lives in this development. All in the 200-500 range.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:47 PM

9 posts, read 52,679 times
My husband and I are also looking to move to SC in the next year when I retire. We currently live in Ocean Co. NJ which is a beautiful place to live, but the taxes will kill us, and the traffic has become overbearing in the 35 years we have lived here.
We were also checking out Tega Cay and Fort Mill as well as Oconee County.
We liked the look of Tega Cay, but there is a lot of trees that shade the homes and mold and mildew prevailed in a lot of the area with the humidity and shading. Prices weren't bad.
Fort Mill is a spreading community. It was cut through by I-85 which is a VERY busy highway. Some parts....as in all cities....were nice, and other parts we went through as quickly as we could. There were some good housing deals and a beautiful development with its own stores and medical offices with a city feel...can't remember the name of it....the homes were victorian and lovely and there was a new section being built that we were interested in, but the area was just too congested and too much like what we want to get away from.
We willl probably go to Oconee County. Its true there is a nuclear power plant on Lake Keowee, but we currently live 15 miles away from Oyster Creek and have since 1974, so its not a big issue. The many lakes and mountains are beautiful in that area and the people are friendly. Even Seneca and Clemson which are nearby are pretty and its just a nice area.
Hope you can find an area you really like. I think SC will be a great place to move to.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:11 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,228 times
In regard to Tega Cay...I am assuming you were looking in the areas were the original/older homes of TC are located (since this is were alot of the trees are located/shading). While there is much more to Tega Cay...I fully understand...and to each their own.

The other community you described in Fort Mill, SC...is called Baxter Village.

But I am a little confused by...as you say that I-85 cuts thru Fort Mill...when in fact we are no where near I-85 (could you be thinking of I-77)?

All the best to you...where ever you decide to retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprillia View Post
My husband and I are also looking to move to SC in the next year when I retire. We currently live in Ocean Co. NJ which is a beautiful place to live, but the taxes will kill us, and the traffic has become overbearing in the 35 years we have lived here.
We were also checking out Tega Cay and Fort Mill as well as Oconee County.
We liked the look of Tega Cay, but there is a lot of trees that shade the homes and mold and mildew prevailed in a lot of the area with the humidity and shading. Prices weren't bad.
Fort Mill is a spreading community. It was cut through by I-85 which is a VERY busy highway. Some parts....as in all cities....were nice, and other parts we went through as quickly as we could. There were some good housing deals and a beautiful development with its own stores and medical offices with a city feel...can't remember the name of it....the homes were victorian and lovely and there was a new section being built that we were interested in, but the area was just too congested and too much like what we want to get away from.
We willl probably go to Oconee County. Its true there is a nuclear power plant on Lake Keowee, but we currently live 15 miles away from Oyster Creek and have since 1974, so its not a big issue. The many lakes and mountains are beautiful in that area and the people are friendly. Even Seneca and Clemson which are nearby are pretty and its just a nice area.
Hope you can find an area you really like. I think SC will be a great place to move to.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:26 PM

Hi logcabin:

We also bought property in Persimmon Fields. Our lot is in the Pembroke section where there is no time limit to build. Although I have researched the area as much as I could, we have never actually been there. PLEASE let me know more about the Johnsonville town and the Persimmon Fields community when you can. Thank you for any information you can give me.
Good luck with your move!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina