Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 08:39 PM

32 posts, read 127,967 times

Advertisements

Hey! I was just reading your post. I'm from South Jersey, Camden County, 20 min. from Philly, and you? We are going to check out Simpsonville, SC in July. It's not far from Greenville, on the Northwestern side of SC. We are looking to get out of the over crowded areas and keep a good distance from crime, if possible. I would love to live near the coast, but it's too much of a tourist attraction in most parts and that's not for us. Not too mention the hurricanes can be quite scary. Where did you plan on moving last time you were packed? What's causing your move from the "Garden State?" LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2006, 04:42 PM

14 posts, read 62,521 times
[quote=crabbydebbie]we moved to orlando 11 yrs ago from philadelphia. we really wanted to come it was wonderful we had a great life down here. but things our changing and we want to move to busy down here. well we sold our house that was a smart move now houses our sitting longer .but we really don't know where we want to go we started going to hilton head but fear of hurricanes scared me . so now were looking into ga s.c and tenn. i'm just really scared to make a mistake the market is slowing and i want a place if i don't like it i can get out . good luck to you all. debbie[/QUOTI live

I live in Orlando too for the last 20 years-it was nice but now we HATE it here. We are looking in the Aiken county area. Such a difference!

Old 06-20-2006, 09:32 PM

33 posts, read 196,393 times
Hi everybody! I'm looking into the upstate of SC, too but seem to be concentrating my search in the Greenville area, especially Simpsonville and Fountain Inn. I noticed a lot of people on this board interested in the upstate are concentraing on the Tega Cay/ Fort Mill/Rock Hill area. For those people who live there already I have a couple of questions: since Tega Cay is by the water is that considered a flood zone and do you worry about your house being flooded by storms, and it seems like most of the people moving to this area are seeking work in Charlotte North Carolina. I live in central NJ and about 10 minutes away over the Outerbridge lies Staten Island NY. So we get Staten Islanders who work here. So they have to pay both NY and NJ state taxes. Same for the Jersey people who work in Manhattan. So does it work the same for you guys if you work in Charlotte? Do you have to pay both taxes? If so, that's what would turn me off from looking in that area and guess that's why I would think of concentraing my search in Greenville or Spartanburg area as far as work. Any answers to these questions or insights would be greatly appreciated! Also, does anyone have an opinion on Greer SC? It looks like it is smack in the middle of Greenville and Spartanburg so seems great location-wise. Thanks

Old 06-21-2006, 02:54 AM

124 posts, read 521,779 times
Hey Dawn, I'm not from Tega Cay but have been there a couple of times. I'm not sure if Tega Cay has to deal with that much flooding due to the fact that the lake is controlled by Duke Power I believe. They can actaully regulate the lake, give it water if it ever seems to get to low and take water out if it ever seems to high. That is my best guess anyway. Someone feel free to chime in and tell me how wrong I am I won't be offended. As far as the taxes... I don't know, but that is a good question.
Oh yeah I have been to Greenville as well and found Greer to be very nice, Simpsonville was sort of the up and coming place that had a lot of development going on. Depending on what you are looking for I found Greenville to be nicer than Spartenburg. They have a really cute downtown with lots of updated sidewalk shops leading you to a fabulous park and waterfall area. That is the cliffnotes version anyway of what my wife and I got from our visits to South Carolina in the interest of relocating.

Old 06-21-2006, 07:36 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn193
Hi everybody! I'm looking into the upstate of SC, too but seem to be concentrating my search in the Greenville area, especially Simpsonville and Fountain Inn. I noticed a lot of people on this board interested in the upstate are concentraing on the Tega Cay/ Fort Mill/Rock Hill area. For those people who live there already I have a couple of questions: since Tega Cay is by the water is that considered a flood zone and do you worry about your house being flooded by storms, and it seems like most of the people moving to this area are seeking work in Charlotte North Carolina. I live in central NJ and about 10 minutes away over the Outerbridge lies Staten Island NY. So we get Staten Islanders who work here. So they have to pay both NY and NJ state taxes. Same for the Jersey people who work in Manhattan. So does it work the same for you guys if you work in Charlotte? Do you have to pay both taxes? If so, that's what would turn me off from looking in that area and guess that's why I would think of concentraing my search in Greenville or Spartanburg area as far as work. Any answers to these questions or insights would be greatly appreciated! Also, does anyone have an opinion on Greer SC? It looks like it is smack in the middle of Greenville and Spartanburg so seems great location-wise. Thanks
Hey there dawn 193-I happen to live in Tega Cay, SC (for 2 1/2 years now)..just so there is no confusion...we are not considered to be in the Upstate (South Carolina)...we are what they call the Olde English District (Piedmont). To the best of my knowledge Tega Cay is not considered a flood zone (we do not carry flood insurance). If you happen to go to the FEMA site...you will find this area is unmapped though. Flooding would be down on the list of worries...lightning is more of an issue in these parts.

Regarding work locations...I would say that a good percentage of the people that live in this area do commute to Charlotte (that seems to be a selling point for the many that move here...far enough from the city yet close enough to commute)..but I will also say that many do not drive into NC for work (ourselves included). There are several large companies within York County (you might check the York County Chamber of Commerce website for a current list of members).

Good luck with your search!

Old 06-21-2006, 05:08 PM

33 posts, read 196,393 times
thanks guys! But Lovethecarolinas, do you know if those working in NC have to pay both state taxes? That's what I'm mainly curious about. And also my husband is thinking about going to a truck driving school and being a trucker. I know there are schools in Greenville and Spartanburg but I wonder if there are any in your area. I'll have to research that. If you know let me know okay?! thanks!

Old 06-21-2006, 07:24 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn193
thanks guys! But Lovethecarolinas, do you know if those working in NC have to pay both state taxes? That's what I'm mainly curious about. And also my husband is thinking about going to a truck driving school and being a trucker. I know there are schools in Greenville and Spartanburg but I wonder if there are any in your area. I'll have to research that. If you know let me know okay?! thanks!
If I answer your question (about state taxes) it would only be a guess...and since I know how important this question is to you...I am going to plead ignorance on this one dawn193.

In regard to truck driving schools..there appear to be some in close proximity (Charlotte, NC)

Old 07-13-2006, 04:49 PM

4 posts, read 7,439 times
Smile I want to leave florida behind

I have lived in Florida so long I am a little apprehensive about moving. I want to move in or around the Greenville , South Carolina area. Can anyone give me any information on the Easley area?

Thanks,

Old 07-13-2006, 06:44 PM

Lightbulb Research South Carolina

Thank you for your help.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:32 AM

Isn't Greer near the BMW plant? I know the airport final is near-by. If you are looking for a quiet neighborhood maybe you should look to the west side of Greenville.
Just a suggestion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina