Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 08:32 AM

3 posts, read 16,666 times

Advertisements

Hi All,,
We are looking to relocate to SC from Long Island.and were was wondering if anyone could comment on the price of buying say an acre of land and building a home vs. buying a pre-existing home. We are looking to be within 30 minutes from the Charleston area or closer. ASlo, any reputable builders you could recommend???
Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 08:54 AM

287 posts, read 1,460,246 times
Buy pre-existing and have many less worries and problems.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:48 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,295,089 times
Kerri - my husband and I plan on doing BOTH. We bought land before we moved here, and upon arriving we moved into a pre-existing house. We plan on living in the house for about five years and then will begin building on the land we bought. The bonus is that if we decide we LIKE where we're living and don't want to build, we can either hold the land in case we change our mind or sell it and use the profits to put towards two college educations we'll have to pay for when the kids grow up.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:09 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,776,328 times
You mentioned wanting to be less than 30 minutes from the Charleston area. If you are referring to the Charleston Historic District, you will have difficulty finding a reasonably priced acre of land in a nice area. Construction costs will also be higher than in some of the other popular, yet further out areas, such as Summerville, Goose Creek and Moncks Corner. I would say that all things being equal, it will be more expensive building a home than purchasing a "spec" or pre-existing home. SettlePa and Girl have good points. You may certainly have more worries when building a new home than you would have with one already completed or pre-owned. However, I have had contact with many home owners in the Charleston area who had good experiences with custom builders. At the same time, you would probably have less worries by having a "tract" or volume builder building a home for you on one of their own lots. A decision to build or not to build, particularly close in to Charleston may depend upon the price range in which you might have an interest. The closer you want to be to downtown Charleston, the fewer building options you may have, particularly if you want a large lot. If finances allow, you might want to consider investing in a lot and purchasing a pre-existing or a "spec" home on a smaller lot to see whether you like the area.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:34 PM

745 posts, read 2,232,594 times
Although it is cheaper in the long run to buy an existing house, we bought land, since we couldn't afford acreage w/ a house right now. We are not building for several years, and wanted to get some land while it was relatively affordable. The sale of our current house should more than pay to have a house built, so when we move to SC, we will have no mortgage. It was also easier to get the lot size and location buying just land. When we have our house built, we will also have exactly what we want, rather than settling for 'adequate'. Bear in mind- we're not building a mansion, actually less than 1500 sq. ft., as a semi-retirement home. From reading on other forums, having a home custom built is not for the faint of heart!

Old 02-15-2007, 06:02 AM

14 posts, read 53,960 times
Default re:buying land

Thank you all--I have to look into just what an acre or half acre would go for say around Goose Creek or Summerville--any recommendations on a site I could visit to contact someone regarding land prices?

Old 02-15-2007, 07:01 AM

A 1/2- 1 acre lot with utilities with restrictions on mobile homes will probably start in the over $100,000 price range in the Summerville/Goose Creek area. If you go a little further out to Ridgeville you can find some lots in the $80,000 range. You can search for building lots for sale on most real estate web sites.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:50 AM

14 posts, read 53,960 times
Default re: land

Thanks--I'm new at this. You mentioned restrictions on mobile homes...are you referring to purchasing land and living in a temporary mobile home until the actual home is built or am I not understanding?

Old 02-15-2007, 09:54 AM

That's correct. Many developments and/or lots may have restrictions on a mobile home being put on the lot as a permanent or even temporary structure.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:46 PM

34 posts, read 36,830 times
I'd suggest you buy a home in an older development. Looking at Google earth, they have much bigger lots and nice trees. New developments are like rabbit hutches. The houses are about 10' apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina