Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 05:16 PM

110 posts, read 394,824 times

Advertisements

You cant argue that no one is born a thief without applying it the other way around. No one is born kind and generous either. You make the choices in your own life, if you choose crime, well thats what you will get. If I am robbed, I wont think, "well he was probably raised that way so its not his fault," or "its just the enviroment he lives in". Those are excuses.

I caution people that there is more than one kind of racism. It is quite often said whites are racist against blacks and it cant be the other way around. Ive personally experienced it the other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2006, 05:36 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,776,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctarheel View Post
You cant argue that no one is born a thief without applying it the other way around. No one is born kind and generous either. You make the choices in your own life, if you choose crime, well thats what you will get. If I am robbed, I wont think, "well he was probably raised that way so its not his fault," or "its just the enviroment he lives in". Those are excuses.

I caution people that there is more than one kind of racism. It is quite often said whites are racist against blacks and it cant be the other way around. Ive personally experienced it the other way.

If I'm robbed (and I have been a couple times) I'm not saying I make excuses for the person black or white, of course people make their own choices but it's more likely that a person that's living in an enviroment of drugs, prostitutes, drive by shootings etc... will turn to crime themself then someone that's growing up in an area where they don't have those worries. Unfortunatley for a lot of black people that's the neighborhoods they grow up in. By the way I don't know if the people that robbed me where black, white, green or purple but I don't assume they were black.

Of course there are black people that are racist, sometimes against other blacks. If you're saying white people can't openly admit they are racist but black people can, sometimes that's true but white people (mainly white male) have not been surpressed, not permitted to vote, not given equal pay, I can go on all night. Like I said before, it's a matter of ignorance , if people tried to understand why people are the way they are they would be more tolerant.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:30 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
Default Boston Judy

Hello, all!

All I know taxes, and England, more taxes, and Boston had the Tea
Party? Boston!

Red Sox Nation!

Old 09-05-2006, 09:35 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeeble View Post
OK, I lurk on here quite a bit, but had to put in my two cents. The 'Late Unpleasantness' had little to do with slavery outside of it being a catalyst for cecession. The actual dispute was over state's rights as outlined in the constitution and the north and south had different but valid interpretations.

The North believed that states ceded utlimate authority to the federal government upon admission to the Union. The South believed that states retained autonomy and that the Union was for providing for the common welfare but states could still dictate their own rules for intrastate commerce, sanctioning of marriage, etc... but that by agreement, states would not step on each other's toes. For example, a marriage recognized in one state would be recognized by all, but the age of consent for marriage is not universal. States could also not set barriers to trade which would adversely affect other states (i.e. not imposing taxes on goods being shipped TO other states, but they CAN tax goods that arrive in their own state). There were and ARE many examples of this dichotomy throughout our nation.

The spilt came, as I said, because Abraham Lincoln was a Federalist and the South viewed his ascention to the Presidency as a threat to state's rights. The original threat (and eventual fulfillment) of cecession came as a result of Lincoln's nomination by the Republican Party and subsequent victory in the election of 1860.

I say the war was NOT about slavery as Lincoln did not issue the Emancipation Proclamation until January 1863. In May of 1862, Lincoln actually issued a proclamation NULLIFYING a declaration by General David Hunter in which he had declared all slaves in South Carolina, Georgia and Florida to be free. As late as June 1864, The House of Representatives had still failed to pass legislation abolishing slavery and it wasn't until AFTER the Civil War (December 1865) that the 13th Amendment was passed and ratified, formally abolishing slavery in the United States. Had the war been about slavery, the timeline would have reflected a far more aggressive pattern of declarations early in the war and would not have Lincoln, hat in hand, begging Congressmen of the Border States to not abandon him in July 1862.

The point of this lecture is that there were NO 'clean hands' in the culture of slavery - the North and South both had a vested economic interest in continuing the practice and exploited it as such. The North was just as reluctant to abolish the practice or it would not have taken five years following Lincoln's election to do so. The South has been much maligned over this period in our history, and to be honest, quite wrongly so. Some of the most violent reactions to the Civil Rights movement and the rise of Neo-Fascism were centered in 'progressive' northern cities.

The point is, we can't change history and we sure as heck can't point to one part of the country, wag our fingers and say, "Bad South! Look what you did!" The South has already paid one hell of a price for the War - check out some pictures of Sherman's work in Georgia or the 'joys of military reconstruction' if you're unsure. All we CAN do is watch our OWN behaviour, check our OWN prejudices and not take for granted what a unique, diverse and precious country we live in.

Sermon over.
want to wish for the red sox? or Tampa Rays!

Old 09-06-2006, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,289 times
Sorry maggiekate - Green Bay fan over here!

Old 09-13-2006, 01:00 AM

18 posts, read 140,061 times
Smile News about Raleigh, Nc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn193 View Post
I know this a south carolina board but I want to relocate from NJ and am stuck between which carolina to go too. I'm thinking of the upstate of SC or the Raleigh area of NC. Does anyone have any opinions on this? I was leaning toward the upstate then I hear all of a sudden SC is more "unfriendly". I have also heard they are very friendly people in the upstate. I'm looking at a few towns outside the Raleigh area but then I worry since a lot of people are moving there it will in a few years be unaffordable like florida now is which used to be a cheap place to move. I'm so confused! Does anyone know both the Carolinas well and can make a comparison? Please help!!!!
Dawn , I live about 40 miles West from Raleigh, If you have kids you don't want to move there. To many gangs in the schools and High Crime. I hate it here in NC, I will moving to SC sometime this fall to get away from all this crime. I want to raise my kids in a safer place. Hope this helps.

Old 09-13-2006, 04:12 AM

44 posts, read 283,343 times
Default NC or SC?

We moved from PA to McCormick, SC almost 5 yrs. ago and love it. If you are looking for affordable housing, low taxes, small town charm, and a good place to raise children you should look into it. We are in the western part of SC right across the Savannah River from GA. We go to Greenwood for the nearest Walmart, Chili's, Ruby Tuesday's, Lowe's, Pier 1, Old Navy, IHOP, etc. and then to Augusta, Ga (44 miles) for Target, Home Depot, Sam's, and the usual shops in the various malls. The tourist draw to our little town is Lake Thurmond, a 70,000 acre lake that offers great fishing, water sports, and leisure boating. The town is built on a old gold mine and has a lot of history. The public school leave a lot to be desired but there are several affordable private schools available. We are about 4-5 hrs. from Myrtle Beach and about 3 hrs. from the mountains. And we have a lot of Yankees!

Old 09-14-2006, 10:25 AM

40 posts, read 160,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshund_mom_27302 View Post
Dawn , I live about 40 miles West from Raleigh, If you have kids you don't want to move there. To many gangs in the schools and High Crime. I hate it here in NC, I will moving to SC sometime this fall to get away from all this crime. I want to raise my kids in a safer place. Hope this helps.
That's pretty funny......

Old 09-14-2006, 01:16 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetriad View Post
That's pretty funny......
LOL.. I was thinking the exact same thing. I didn't want to burst her bubble.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:41 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,897 times
Western North Carolina for me.
North Taxalina does hold the rank of the highest taxes for a Southern State, but you can't beat the Mayberry of Western NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina