Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 11:55 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,855 times

Advertisements

Interesting article about college educated folks moving out of SC. The article suggests that the Educational attainment levels are getting better but still trail other peer/close by cities. In the Carolinas, Raleigh leads with a 41% educational attainment level. Charleston and Charlotte are similar at roughly 32%. Even with an undergraduate student population of 20k, Columbia has a rate of 30%, Greenville comes in at 27%.

What are the different areas doing to retain talent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 12:06 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Sadly, I think it just comes down to money. My daughter graduated from USC and had a couple offers in the high $30ks but landed a job in DC paying almost $55k. She's already been told a "significant" raise comes in January and in the DC or NY areas, the sky is the limit.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Sadly, I think it just comes down to money. My daughter graduated from USC and had a couple offers in the high $30ks but landed a job in DC paying almost $55k. She's already been told a "significant" raise comes in January and in the DC or NY areas, the sky is the limit.
I think you are right. Both of my degrees are from SC schools, Wofford and Carolina. There are no jobs in SC that are in my industry. I have said it many times, as much as I like Charlotte, being closer to family has benefits as well. Sadly, there just aren't many opportunities. Which brings up another question, what does it take to get companies in SC. The state does a nice job with manufacturing but, other jobs seem more elusive.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:10 PM

611 posts, read 921,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Interesting article about college educated folks moving out of SC. The article suggests that the Educational attainment levels are getting better but still trail other peer/close by cities. In the Carolinas, Raleigh leads with a 41% educational attainment level. Charleston and Charlotte are similar at roughly 32%. Even with an undergraduate student population of 20k, Columbia has a rate of 30%, Greenville comes in at 27%.

What are the different areas doing to retain talent?

Just FYI, undergraduate populations do not count for this study. It is based upon population share aged 25 or older, so Columbia bests Greenville even without counting USC students.

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Research/Files/Papers/2012/8/29%20education%20gap%20rothwell/education%20gap%20web%20data%20sources.xlsx

Old 09-04-2012, 03:22 PM

12,903 posts, read 18,756,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post
Just FYI, undergraduate populations do not count for this study. It is based upon population share aged 25 or older, so Columbia bests Greenville even without counting USC students.

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Research/Files/Papers/2012/8/29%20education%20gap%20rothwell/education%20gap%20web%20data%20sources.xlsx
And an article in the Charleston Post & Courier the other day said most of the increase in their percentage of college grads has come from college-educated retirees moving to the area as opposed to young college grads moving or staying there for jobs.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:37 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post

Undergrad students wouldn't count anyway because they don't hold a college degree. They would only dilute the numbers if they were included, right?

Old 09-04-2012, 04:25 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Simply put, the state doesn't value education, particularly higher education, as it should. Look at SC's investment in its public institutions versus what neighboring states invest. Tuition for in-state students are among the highest in the region.

Local leadership can be as ambitious and visionary as it wants to be, but without leadership from the state with the right vision and priorities, the ceiling is rather low.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Simply put, the state doesn't value education, particularly higher education, as it should. Look at SC's investment in its public institutions versus what neighboring states invest. Tuition for in-state students are among the highest in the region.

Local leadership can be as ambitious and visionary as it wants to be, but without leadership from the state with the right vision and priorities, the ceiling is rather low.
I agree. This state does not value education and resorts to rhetoric like "these schools waste money". NC is widely known for the university system and has created world class research parks while keeping tuition low. Politics also plays too much in the SC system. The board at Carolina should have the best people, not donors to Nikki's campaign. Her guy may be a smart guy but Darla is well known, has tremendous connections and is very intelligent. Also, there is too much disparity in tuition. Carolina is roughly 1k less annually than other schools. An extra 1k equates to $20m annually for the undergrads.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Interesting point. I believe that SC's in-state tuition is one of the highest compared to other in-state rates in Southeastern state-supported schools, while their out-of-state tuition is comparatively low. I would be interested in seeing the differential between in-state/out-of-state tuitions at state schools throughout the country.

I think its also a chicken and egg situation, which comes first: folks who value education, or folks who are educated? Or in another scenario, which comes first: an educated population or a healthy job market for those folks?

Old 09-04-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
I agree. This state does not value education and resorts to rhetoric like "these schools waste money". NC is widely known for the university system and has created world class research parks while keeping tuition low. Politics also plays too much in the SC system. The board at Carolina should have the best people, not donors to Nikki's campaign. Her guy may be a smart guy but Darla is well known, has tremendous connections and is very intelligent. Also, there is too much disparity in tuition. Carolina is roughly 1k less annually than other schools. An extra 1k equates to $20m annually for the undergrads.

I was curious so I looked up the tuition for UNC, which is a very well regarded public school as you pointed out. In state tuition of $7,694, out of state: $28,446, which is 3.7X more costly for an out of state student.

USC: $10,488 in-state (resident), $27,644 out of state. 2.6X differential.

Clemson: $13,076 in state, $29,720 out of state. 2.3X differential.

Bottom line is that you're right on that our neighbors to the north have done a better job of keeping their education more affordable for their in-state students, both in pure dollars and in comparison to what they charge out-of-staters.

The other issue that needs to be discussed is that SC may not have a deep enough pool of top-tier students to make our schools more "prestigious" in the over-hyped world of academic "rankings". How does an institution balance its role of educating SC students with its unwritten mission of becoming Nationally ranked and renowned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina