U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 05:44 AM

1 posts, read 4,246 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am considering moving to Florence, SC this summer. I have done some research online, but I want to know what residents say about Florence.

How would you describe Florence?
Are the residents accepting of minorities?
Is there a serious bug problem in Florence?
Has the area ever been hit by a hurricane?
Are there areas of Florence that are not safe?
What are some fun places for young adults to hang out?

Thanks
Rate this post positively

Old 06-21-2006, 11:15 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,854,977 times
How would you describe Florence?
a medium-large town in the middle of the Pee Dee swamp, close to my hometown. Fairly old-fashioned, not very progressive, a decent place to raise kids.

Are the residents accepting of minorities?
Most of the residents are minorities.

Is there a serious bug problem in Florence?
Bug problem? I don't know if I'd call it that. There are plenty of large insects and critters running around, but it's no different than anywhere else in the southern coastal plain.

Has the area ever been hit by a hurricane?
Yes.

Are there areas of Florence that are not safe?
Yes. I've been to some very wealthy neighborhoods and some very ghetto neighborhoods.

What are some fun places for young adults to hang out?
I believe there is one good (good means 'I wouldn't feel really uncomfortable') bar in Florence. I don't know what it's called.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:34 AM

13 posts, read 46,002 times
Angry Cautionary tale

Let me tell you what my experience has been. A nightmare from the start. I took a job offer and moved all the way from southern california (drove). The rental agency had my deposits a month prior and when I got into Florence yikes the place looked like section 8. I had traveled 2500 milesand no place to live luckily I found something suitable that afternoon close to tears. It gets worse... I came from a large metropolitan area Florence doesn't even have a decent regional mall, restruants, or shopping.

I was having major culture shock. We in california are health consciencious here in SC they tend to eat high fat greasy food it shows in the residents. I've been to some other parts of SC, just bigger versions of Florence. No sophistication, culture, or distinction. It takes awhile to understand how they speak here. As far as the job I am a professional jeweler and my new company opened a new location in town. After a questionable start we were finally doing decent dollars (high end) Rolex, big diamonds.

The wealthy in Florence were finding us I was looking at a nice bonus and raise after Jan 07. Well much to my horror and that of my lovely staff I was ask to resign after only six months... no reason given (thier way of getting out of my bonus and pay raise). Stupidly I had no employment contract SC is a "at will" employment state. Anger doesn't even scratch the surface. I left a perfectly good job in california and am now stuck in Florence where I would never otherwise live. I'm seeking legal advise and will remain until I can get another job hopefully out of state. I will never return to SC ever!!!!

The grass isn't always greener to all heed this warning stay put!!!!

Old 06-22-2006, 11:35 AM

SoCalstuckinheehawhell, I do feel a slight bit of sympathy for you. But very slight. You can't "blame Florence" for your own ignorance. Florence is what it is, and they have very different values than the people in Southern California do. This shouldn't be a surprise. It doesn't seem like any wrong was done to you, it seems like you had unrealistic expectations and didn't properly research the area you were moving to.

1. I took a job offer and moved all the way from southern california (drove). The rental agency had my deposits a month prior and when I got into Florence yikes the place looked like section 8. I had traveled 2500 milesand no place to live luckily I found something suitable that afternoon close to tears.

Sorry, but it's your fault for not visiting Florence, SC and seeing what it was like. Yes, Florence has lots of ghetto areas. So does every town in the south. But it also has some very nice areas. That's like me moving from Columbia to Compton, CA, and saying "This place just isn't very nice." Well no kidding. Move to the ghetto and it looks like the ghetto.

2. It gets worse... I came from a large metropolitan area Florence doesn't even have a decent regional mall, restruants, or shopping.

Florence does have a mall, and restaurants. But it's a town of 30,000 in the middle of the pee dee swamp, what were your expectations? If it doesn't suit your high-class tastes, Myrtle Beach has plenty of shopping. If that's not enough, Charlotte isn't too far away either.

3. We in california are health consciencious here in SC they tend to eat high fat greasy food it shows in the residents.

We have well-stocked grocery stores, you are free to eat what you like.

4. No sophistication, culture, or distinction. It takes awhile to understand how they speak here.

This is in the eye of the beholder. Some people love southern culture, old money southerners are quite sophisticated, and if the south isn't "distinct", then I don't know what is. Just because it's not like southern california, does not make it inherently bad. Just because we don't follow "MTV Culture" doesn't mean that we are devoid of culture.

5. The wealthy in Florence were finding us I was looking at a nice bonus and raise after Jan 07. Well much to my horror and that of my lovely staff I was ask to resign after only six months... no reason given.

If your attitude toward your co-workers and customers was anything like your attitude here, then I can understand this. Also, SC is not a unionized state. If that was a high priority, again, you should have gone elsewhere. I can only speculate why you were fired, but if you were doing such a spectacular job, then somehow I doubt it would've happened.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:43 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,549,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous
SoCalstuckinheehawhell, I do feel a slight bit of sympathy for you. But very slight. You can't "blame Florence" for your own ignorance. Florence is what it is, and they have very different values than the people in Southern California do. This shouldn't be a surprise. It doesn't seem like any wrong was done to you, it seems like you had unrealistic expectations and didn't properly research the area you were moving to.

1. I took a job offer and moved all the way from southern california (drove). The rental agency had my deposits a month prior and when I got into Florence yikes the place looked like section 8. I had traveled 2500 milesand no place to live luckily I found something suitable that afternoon close to tears.

Sorry, but it's your fault for not visiting Florence, SC and seeing what it was like. Yes, Florence has lots of ghetto areas. So does every town in the south. But it also has some very nice areas. That's like me moving from Columbia to Compton, CA, and saying "This place just isn't very nice." Well no kidding. Move to the ghetto and it looks like the ghetto.

2. It gets worse... I came from a large metropolitan area Florence doesn't even have a decent regional mall, restruants, or shopping.

Florence does have a mall, and restaurants. But it's a town of 30,000 in the middle of the pee dee swamp, what were your expectations? If it doesn't suit your high-class tastes, Myrtle Beach has plenty of shopping. If that's not enough, Charlotte isn't too far away either.

3. We in california are health consciencious here in SC they tend to eat high fat greasy food it shows in the residents.

We have well-stocked grocery stores, you are free to eat what you like.

4. No sophistication, culture, or distinction. It takes awhile to understand how they speak here.

This is in the eye of the beholder. Some people love southern culture, old money southerners are quite sophisticated, and if the south isn't "distinct", then I don't know what is. Just because it's not like southern california, does not make it inherently bad. Just because we don't follow "MTV Culture" doesn't mean that we are devoid of culture.

5. The wealthy in Florence were finding us I was looking at a nice bonus and raise after Jan 07. Well much to my horror and that of my lovely staff I was ask to resign after only six months... no reason given.

If your attitude toward your co-workers and customers was anything like your attitude here, then I can understand this. Also, SC is not a unionized state. If that was a high priority, again, you should have gone elsewhere. I can only speculate why you were fired, but if you were doing such a spectacular job, then somehow I doubt it would've happened.
you know...for you being the ripe old age of 22...I am impressed with your posts...and this coming from a much riper (older) Southern CA transplant

Old 06-22-2006, 12:18 PM

i appreciate that, lovethecarolinas.

I try not to be too harsh - it is difficult to convey the appropriate tone over the internet - but sometimes I get a little ticked off. It just seems that everyone has some bizarre and sometimes random image of what south carolina is like. I just try to explain things how I see them

Old 06-23-2006, 08:50 AM

13 posts, read 46,002 times
Yes this could have happened anywhere true... Apologies for my culture shock! I will secure a contract the next time I move. I don't think I they would have given me a large severance check and a letter of recommendation if it where my performance or attitude. They are not required to do either.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:59 AM

3 posts, read 6,739 times
Default Anonymous

Regarding the questions asked of moving to Florence and responded by the Senior Member/Anonymous. "Ghetto" is defined as an area populated predominately by one racial or ethnic group. Florence is filled with ghettos.
A ghetto can be a place that is populated by wealthy, white, suburbanites. Or a ghetto can be populated only by an ethnic group, (ex. Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto in Poland). Without knowing the persons ethnic background, its hard to inform the individual. So...perhaps this is a wealthy, asian female looking for a suburban house to purchase.

Why are you anonymous? What are you hiding about yourself?

To the questioner, What is your ethnic background? Then the question can be answered with much more information and a lot less subconscious predetermined racist undertone. I also wish you well in your journey south. In spite of any undertone you may feel you perceive here, most of the unpleasant attitudes toward people who are different than the majority population, comes from the transplant. So, if you do come, remember the real southern way, kind, considerate and non-presuming.

Olivia (Southern girl, born in Georgia)
transplant

Old 07-10-2006, 12:42 PM

first off..,
ghetto - noun
1: formerly the restricted quarter of many European cities in which Jews were required to live;
2: any segregated mode of living or working that results from bias or stereotyping;
3: a poor densely populated city district occupied by a minority ethnic group linked together by economic hardship and social restrictions

Your definition is missing a key qualifier - it isn't just 'an area dominated by one ethnic/racial group', it is a requirement that said group is poor, or lives together as a result of bias and stereotyping. So in Florence, SC, by definition, you couldn't have wealthy white ghettos. Anyway, so what? Are you recommending that the OP live in the ghetto?

second, my nickname on this message board is 'anonymous'. I am not hiding any more about myself than you are; your nickname is Olivia. I've posted about my hometown, where I've been to school, my age, my gender and where I live. So maybe the question is, what are you hiding? And why do you use bold along with underline?

third, Why is it so important that I know the poster's ethnic background? Why would you give different advice to an asian? I think it's rude to even ask. If the OP wanted me to know, the OP would have told me.

fourth, you claim that the question can be answered with more more information. This may be true. You have your forum, I'm listening.

Old 07-10-2006, 01:17 PM

12,054 posts, read 21,078,149 times
Florence has what I call a nice quality of small town life. I have been going to Florence to visit family and friends for many years and while I never really thought of living there, I think it has many amenities unless you are a true night life person. It is more laid back than larger cities but they do have several good restaurants that aren't chains. In fact, one of the best Chinese restaurants that I have ever been to is in Florence. At least it used to be excellent. There is Francis Marion University if you want to take college classes. Not sure what the job market is like but I think it is a lot better than when I graduated from college. There are several hospitals and medical centers and it is close to the beach area and to Columbia. You don't say your age or where you are relocating from, and that might make a difference in how you perceive Florence. Good luck in your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina