Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 10:09 AM

12 posts, read 65,211 times

Advertisements

I have bought plenty of real estate, so I understand how differently an area can be portrayed by those selling compared to reality. Cheraw looks nice on the internet. What do locals think?

Margo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 05:29 PM

9 posts, read 24,174 times
There is nothing here!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:43 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,004 times
cheraw has an area that is nice but there is alot of realestate for sale there because there are no jobs there. if you live in cheraw you will have to comute to work for sure. from what i've seen and heard from people that have lived here a long time is that it used to be a nice place years ago. there are alot of empty buildings i know that much. we don't live in cheraw but we do our shopping there.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:05 AM

194 posts, read 748,542 times
Cheraw is a nice small rural town and has much more to offer than some of the neighboring Pee Dee communites. Most notably the Cheraw State Park with a golf course that has been called "one of the best kept secret in South Carolina."
The Town of Cheraw has several dining spots unlike some other small towns that seem to offer good food at good prices. Cheraw is also on the SC Cotton Trail.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:35 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,264,666 times
To me Cheraw is a great place to retire to but not a great place if you need employment.

I would move there in a minute if I didn't need my paycheck.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:11 AM

8,230 posts, read 13,350,173 times
Frankly I am pleasantly surprised that Cheraw is doing as well as it is given the fact that it is not near an interstate highway, has no rail (though Amtrak runs through the town) or interstate bus service and with the decline of the manufacturing/industrial sector... I am not sure what keeps the town afloat given the state of local and the national economy.

Now I would not pack my bags and MOVE there, but that's because small town life is not for me

Old 07-08-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Frankly I am pleasantly surprised that Cheraw is doing as well as it is given the fact that it is not near an interstate highway, has no rail (though Amtrak runs through the town) or interstate bus service and with the decline of the manufacturing/industrial sector... I am not sure what keeps the town afloat given the state of local and the national economy.

Now I would not pack my bags and MOVE there, but that's because small town life is not for me

it's got to be the super walmart because we live in a bordering town and shop there.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:30 AM

8,230 posts, read 13,350,173 times
Could be.... I believe the town had a Wal Mart before.. I wonder what data the Wal Mart folks looked at before deciding to make one a "super". The nearest one to Cheraw is where... florence? Sumter doesnt even have a Super Walmart and it is probably five times the size city as Cheraw.

Cheraw is also larger than Chesterfield which is interesting since Chesterfield in the County Seat.. go figure. Town Leaders should lobby Amtrak to see if they could get a station there... I mean really Amtrak serves Dillon and Hamlet but not Cheraw.. seems that could drop Hamlet (sorry) for Cheraw.. but I am sure they have their reasons.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:40 PM

672 posts, read 2,113,360 times
Quote:
Could be.... I believe the town had a Wal Mart before.. I wonder what data the Wal Mart folks looked at before deciding to make one a "super". The nearest one to Cheraw is where... florence? Sumter doesnt even have a Super Walmart and it is probably five times the size city as Cheraw.

Cheraw is also larger than Chesterfield which is interesting since Chesterfield in the County Seat.. go figure. Town Leaders should lobby Amtrak to see if they could get a station there... I mean really Amtrak serves Dillon and Hamlet but not Cheraw.. seems that could drop Hamlet (sorry) for Cheraw.. but I am sure they have their reasons.
Sumter does have a SuperWalmart. It's west of the mall going toward Shaw.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:

the next closest walmart is in rockingham then florence and i think there is one in hartsville to. yes there was a walmart before , it's the empty building down the street. since they were going to sell groceries they couldn't stay next to food lion. the closest amtrak is in hamlet which is fairly new. they probably put the one in hamlet because it's close to rockingham .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina