U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 12:25 PM

23 posts, read 74,622 times

Advertisements

Many Eyes: Estimated white IQ by state (US)

The Audacious Epigone: IQ estimates

Comments, explanation?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 05:34 PM

6,811 posts, read 14,927,108 times
After reading the two websites I find their reasoning to be dubious so I wouldn't put too much stock into their results. I'm also not keen on them splitting up IQ scores by race. One sign that told me these aren't qualified researchers is this quote from the second website:

Relatedly, states with lighter skinned blacks (those with more white ancestry in the northern states especially) tend to achieve higher test score results, although the results aren't that pronounced. Deep-south South Carolina certainly bucks the trend, probably due to the number of black military families at Fort Jackson, where most army personnel are initially trained.

This is absurd reasoning - South Carolina's African-American population is approximately 1.5 million. There might be 20,000 people (of all races) stationed at Fort Jackson, so that couldn't possibly have any more than a negligible effect on any statewide numbers in any category.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:09 PM

The data would be pretty useless if it were not sorted by race since the black/white IQ difference is one standard deviation. And mulattoes do score half way between.

Here are my guesses for the high scores:

*Charlotte has always been a rather Northern city.
*European firms such as BMW and Michelin.
*The nuclear industry.
*Charleston is a unique city and has long attracted people from everywhere.
*Clemson

And the one which is probably the most true......

*Few hills therefore fewer hillbillies.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:22 PM

737 posts, read 1,488,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab Numlock View Post
The data would be pretty useless if it were not sorted by race since the black/white IQ difference is one standard deviation. And mulattoes do score half way between.

*The nuclear industry.
*Clemson

Wow, are you for real?

Old 03-08-2009, 01:18 AM

6,811 posts, read 14,927,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab Numlock View Post

*The nuclear industry.
*Clemson

Please tell me you're kidding.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:50 AM

They also have a fairly large percentage of Germans for a Southern state, as does TX, of course.

http://www.uta.fi/FAST/US1/REF/images/usgerman.gif
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina