Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2007, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 10,325 times

Advertisements

Hello. Looking to move to Aiken SC and can find some help with salary information but thought I'd ask the community directly. We are coming from NJ and am interested to find how the nursing salary compares. We've already made up our minds, we love SC and are looking forward to the lifestyle change, but would be nice to actually have a more concrete idea on salary for me. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 07:08 PM

287 posts, read 1,460,378 times
We are moving to SC from NY area and my wife is a nurse, just depends on experience, etc. just like anywhere else. Base pay for RN is 20.00 for a new grad that I can tell you and goes up from there.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:01 PM

12 posts, read 119,455 times
Hi I also an moving from NJ and having a hard time finding salary info for a RN/BSN? Any info would be helpfull!!
Thanks

Old 07-15-2007, 02:14 PM

15 posts, read 82,813 times
I'm not a nurse but am a CST. (or tech). I was making $26/hr in NJ/NY. I intereviewd and was offered a job at Waccamaw Community Hospital. I had to re negotiate two times for them to bring the offer to $17/hr. I passed. The women I spoke to there and at Grand Strand said the same as the poster above...RNs start around $20.

Robyn

Old 07-15-2007, 02:21 PM

8 posts, read 44,616 times
Many of the hospitals give signing bonuses, too. I know this because I worked at a cancer center and we had nurses leaving and going to the hospitals for that very reason.

The fact is, wages are lower here and so is the cost of living. For example, if my house were in NJ I'd be paying about $4500/year in property taxes. My tax bill was $569 for this year and that will go down by up to 50% next tax bill (state sales tax went up 1% to compensate). So you have to look at it in relative terms. Sure, you'll make less but it will also cost you less to live here. Coming here and expecting to make what you made up north is completely unrealistic.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:49 PM

15 posts, read 82,813 times
Default slight t/j

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbib21 View Post
The fact is, wages are lower here and so is the cost of living. For example, if my house were in NJ I'd be paying about $4500/year in property taxes. My tax bill was $569 for this year and that will go down by up to 50% next tax bill (state sales tax went up 1% to compensate). .
How long have you been gone from NJ?
We moved last April and our taxes would have been nearly 12k this year.
My COL isn't as low as the low salary would have one think.
My taxes here are $1100/yr.
Car ins. $1600/yr(two new SUVs)
Milk and gas are the same as in NJ(I was back just last month).
Perhaps it is because I am in MB, not the surrounding areas.
I/we are looking outward due to congestion.

To the OP, check out travelling nursing opportunities. I have a few sites if you want to send me a PM.
They offer much better salaries, bonuses, housing stipend(since you live in the area). The only downside would be if you had an hour or hour and half commute. I used to drive 70 minutes one way to go to work up north, so that's not a minus in my book.

Robyn

Old 07-15-2007, 07:12 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
They must pay RN's better in the Columbia area because I know an RN wit a few years experience who makes about $60K a year. Maybe it has a lot to do with the size of the hospital, too.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:01 PM

245 posts, read 1,019,799 times
I think it depends where you work too. My sister is an LPN and does home health care on the weekend night shift. She makes $20/hour. She's been a nurse since she got out of high school, so 10 years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina