Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 02:50 PM

119 posts, read 362,423 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all!

I'm new to this City Data thing. I'm from Mississippi and me and my boyfriend are going to get married soon and were looking to relocate from Hattiesburg to a smaller Southern town. We are both from Mississippi but are looking throughout the South.

South Carolina was one of the fastest growing states according to the census, and when I was in Charleston, it contained many transplants. I hear that the upstate has a lot too...

What I am looking for is a smaller town (20,00 or less) that Yankees have not invaded lol, and still has that distinctly Southern feel. Can someone point me to one in SC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 03:40 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
Grabbing the popcorn while I still can. This thread is going to be thrown into the fire real fast.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:45 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Grabbing the popcorn while I still can. This thread is going to be thrown into the fire real fast.
LOL ignoring the bait from OP.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:59 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,374,908 times
From a historical perspective, you may like Abbeville. Basically, if you stay away from the larger metropolitan areas, then you'll probably find what you're looking for in SC. Of course, I don't know exactly what you meant by "that distinctly Southern feel."

Old 03-27-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
LOL ignoring the bait from OP.
Hmm... I'm new to City Data. Didn't realize I was going to cause a "show" LOL!

Old 03-27-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
From a historical perspective, you may like Abbeville. Basically, if you stay away from the larger metropolitan areas, then you'll probably find what you're looking for in SC. Of course, I don't know exactly what you meant by "that distinctly Southern feel."
Thanks for the recommendation! Abbeville does look quite nice. I looked it up and got this nice picture from the town website- abbevillecitysc.sc.gov - Home

And by "that distinctly Southern feel"... where are you from? Basically I mean if you visit a small Midwest town, it has a different feel from a town in the South! Southern towns tend to be more conservative and religious and the church is a big social thing. Plus the people know there neighbors and people in the town know each other (small towns everywhere are like that though). Southern food, sweet tea out of porches LOL!

Old 03-27-2011, 08:08 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,826,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Mamma View Post
What I am looking for is a smaller town (20,00 or less) that Yankees have not invaded...
Hey Mamma - Darlin', I hear where you're coming from...

Those places still exist in SC, but they're getting harder and harder to find. The de-Southernization of SC is most evident in places that are seen as offering the most desirable amenities. The Charleston folks will yell and scream and disagree, but there's really nothing Southern left along SC's coast except memories and humidity. Most of the coast has been bulldozed into "planned communities", any of which could be picked up en-masse, dropped down in Ohio, and fit right in. Southern accents can still be heard around Georgetown SC, but that's changing fast. Also, the I-85 corridor, particularly Greenville and to a lesser degree, Spartanburg, has been heavily transplanted. Same thing applies to the I-26 corridor north of Spartanburg, as it approaches Asheville and the NC line.

In between, quite a few places meet your description, but you'll have to take the bad with the good. Other than population change, SC tends to rank right along with Mississippi on the wrong end of most important ratings, such as unemployment, industry and related job opportunities, average wages, quality of education, graduation rates, etc, etc, etc. The I-95 corridor, is a particularly depressed region offering very little to make it attractive. You didn't mention the need for finding jobs, but they're hard to come by almost everywhere in SC, and particularly in small-town SC.

A few places that I would add to your list include Clinton, Newberry, and Greenwood. I can almost guarantee you that on any given Saturday in these towns, at least one church will be holding a bbq chicken dinner. I suspect you see the same thing in MS, but keep in mind that in most small SC towns, you're either born there or an outsider. As a newcomer, being Southern might help, but you're still likely to be viewed with a polite suspicion. Good luck with your search.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:23 PM

5,487 posts, read 8,318,595 times
Greenwood is actually larger than 20000. It's small, but is not like what the op is describing. Abbeville fits this description more.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
...there's really nothing Southern left along SC's coast except memories and humidity. Most of the coast has been bulldozed into "planned communities", any of which could be picked up en-masse, dropped down in Ohio, and fit right in...
What a shame! I was in Charleston just for a day a long time ago and it was such a beautiful city that was very charming, no wonder people flock to it from the depressing north...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
...but keep in mind that in most small SC towns, you're either born there or an outsider. As a newcomer, being Southern might help, but you're still likely to be viewed with a polite suspicion...
I am fully aware of this... I realize that while I may never truly fit into the town, my kids will because they will be born and raised there. All small Southern are like this though!

Old 03-27-2011, 08:44 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,964,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Mamma View Post
Hey y'all!

What I am looking for is a smaller town (20,00 or less) that Yankees have not invaded lol, and still has that distinctly Southern feel. Can someone point me to one in SC?
Welcome Mississippi Mamma.

I was born and raised in Rock Hill and due to our proximity to Charlotte we have transplants out the ying yang. Abbeville is a good choice. I like Newberry, it is a college town but such a neat little town. Camden is a neat little town too. Or if you really want to go where time has forgotten Honea Path, Ware Shoals, Belton are amazing.

Hubby's family had a farm in Donald's between Ware Shoals and Honea Path and believe me nothing much has changed since the 1960's when I first visited the farm. Yet it's only 25 miles from Greenwood, 36 miles from Greenville and about 20 miles to Anderson. In case you need to visit Wally World, Home Depot or Target.

Best wishes on your search and we do have locations that haven't been invaded yet. Don't get me wrong we have some wonderful transplants in my neighbor, really good neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina