Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Excellent school district, safe area, manageable commute, single family home

Old 04-02-2007, 01:05 PM

12 posts, read 29,519 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone
My folks and I are heading down this week to chk out the area....we are all looking to relocate and I have the opportunity to transfer to charlotte through my job (located on parkway plaza blvd in charlotte)
I'm a single mom of a 10 y/o and am looking for an excellent school district, safe area and I am praying my commute to and from work won't kill me.

What we are all hoping to is buy a home with a decent amount of property (not looking for acres but 1 or a little less would be great) We are hoping to be able to ad on to the home to accomidate my daughter and I (hopefully a small apt like we have now) Any info as to the pro's and cons would be great and if anyone could tell me if this is accpetable to do...We live on Long Island now have no problems with the town or the neighbors once the apt was built and even getting it built. I breifly spoke to someone on the charlotte forum who was an angel and told me to chk out Fort Mill...we did back in Nov and loved it.....
Any other town you can think of let me know....

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 03:27 PM

474 posts, read 1,749,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimmi View Post
Hello everyone
My folks and I are heading down this week to chk out the area....we are all looking to relocate and I have the opportunity to transfer to charlotte through my job (located on parkway plaza blvd in charlotte)
I'm a single mom of a 10 y/o and am looking for an excellent school district, safe area and I am praying my commute to and from work won't kill me.

What we are all hoping to is buy a home with a decent amount of property (not looking for acres but 1 or a little less would be great) We are hoping to be able to ad on to the home to accomidate my daughter and I (hopefully a small apt like we have now) Any info as to the pro's and cons would be great and if anyone could tell me if this is accpetable to do...We live on Long Island now have no problems with the town or the neighbors once the apt was built and even getting it built. I breifly spoke to someone on the charlotte forum who was an angel and told me to chk out Fort Mill...we did back in Nov and loved it.....
Any other town you can think of let me know....

Thank you

The commute to uptown Charlotte from Fort Mill is about 25-35 minutes depending on traffic.

I'm not real clear - are you looking for a single family home with some land to add onto, or an apartment / townome in Fort Mill? Also, what is your budget?

Another small town with good schools is Clover, SC. Althouth the commute to Charlotte would be a bit longer - 45-55 minutes, I'd guess.

My wife and I are building a house in Fort Mill right now and will moving in early May so I'm fairly familiar with the area.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:11 PM

Hey Thanks for the reply
So Fort Mill is good??? I'll check out Clover as well, have you lived in Fort Mill long?
I'm actually looking for a single family home to ad on to....the problem is we are used to having a decent amount of land and it appears as if most of these houses are relatively large but on a small lot...
The price range for the home itself could range from 250,000-350,000 maybe a tad bit more.....

Thanks again..
Ciao

Old 04-02-2007, 07:12 PM

474 posts, read 1,749,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimmi View Post
Hey Thanks for the reply
So Fort Mill is good??? I'll check out Clover as well, have you lived in Fort Mill long?
I'm actually looking for a single family home to ad on to....the problem is we are used to having a decent amount of land and it appears as if most of these houses are relatively large but on a small lot...
The price range for the home itself could range from 250,000-350,000 maybe a tad bit more.....

Thanks again..
Ciao
I think Fort Mill is excellent; especially the schools. I rented down there about 4 years ago and we close on our new house in early May. My parents and brother and his family live there now, so I'm very famiar with the area.

An acre of land with a decent house, in your price range, that's in a neighborhood that will allow you to add on, will be tough to find in Fort Mill. Land in Fort Mill is at a premium. And, as you mentioned, most homes are in neighborhoods that have small lots; and I would bet most of them have HOA's that won't allow add-ons. Who knows though, maybe you could find an older house on a 1/3 to 1/2 acre that's not in an established neighborhood so you could add on. A realtor familiar with Fort Mill could probably tell you if it's possible.

I definitely think Clover is worth a look also. It's smaller and more rural than Fort Mill and a bit further away from Charlotte than Fort Mill, so land is cheaper. It was our second choice behind Fort Mill.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:32 AM

192 posts, read 687,353 times
Check out Lynnwood Farms. Lots are 1 ac+. Also, there are lots of single older homes situated thru out Ft Mill that have big lots. We were looking for a newer home in a neighborhood so we didn't look at single homes with property. I just know I've seen many of those while driving around. My neighborhood, Whitegrove, has big houses on lots about .3 -.4 acre. I doubt you could add on but the houses are plenty big already.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:27 AM

Default thanks

Thanks for all this information..I had a feeling we would run itno somewhat of an issue with the addition to a home in the newer developments....

Can anyone one tell me about Indian Trail??? How is that area??

You all have been great help..wish us luck, we tomorrow at the crack of dawn!

anything else you come up with I am open to suggestions.....It certainly a move I want to make but definitely need to ensure that I choose a great are for my little one....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina